Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this be the best bargain RAM??

Wanna look under my kilt?

Could this be the best bargain RAM??

I picked up some real cheap Geil PC4400, rated at 3-4-4-8 at 275 MHz... According to official lists, these use HynixD5 ICs.

The SPD doesnt paint a happy story...

but....

To be honest...doesnt look like Hynix to me!
    TCCD?

(Only the 8M time was with this RAM...ignore the time.. everyday-ish speed, with all my stuff running in the back)

only 2.8V

A good afternoon so far i`d say

Kenny
    Last edited by K404; 04-13-2006 at 07:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    g skill PC3200 NT is good too...mine did DDR500 2-3-2-6 2.8v

that definetly looks good though, its appears to be TCCD
    Q6700
    MSI P35
    8GB OCZ
    2xHD 2900 XT
    PCP&C 1kw

Xtreme Member
    best bargain u say, how much did u pay?

My Personal Records:

Infineon BH-6 (1x256MB) at 290MHz [2-2-2-5] at 4.0V // CPU-Z
    // PIC
    Infineon BH-6 (2x256MB) at 270MHz [2-2-2-5] at 3.63V // PIC // BENCH 1 // BENCH 2
    Kreton UTT (1x512MB) at 270MHz at 3.35V [2-2-2-5] // CPU-Z // PIC
    Infineon BH-6 (4x256MB) at 270MHz at 3.8V [2-2-2-5] // CPU-Z // BENCHMARKS

£60 ($100..ish)

-> Good for the U.K.!
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    probably tcc5, any chance of seeing how far 2.5-4-3-X will go (should be nearly 300 if tccx)
    "Bloody hell, im gonna die to Boney M"

YouTube Addict
    See if you can get 300mhz, if not it probably is TCC5
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    and that statement is based on what?

some TCCDs that can't reach 300MHz but there are TCC5s that do >300MHz easily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    remember, they are the same thing, just tested to much lower standard for the tcc5
    "Bloody hell, im gonna die to Boney M"

Xtreme
    i guess someone labeled my ram wrong then

i was pushing for max clocks, and probably still could go higher than that (although, i would need a new CPU first)

^^ocz platinum revision 2 v 1.1 (TCC5)
    System:
    2600K / 8GB Corsair Vengeance PC15000
    Asus Sabertooth P67 / MSI Twin Frozr II 6950 Crossfire
    corsair 1000hx / Corsair 800D obsidian
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Windows 7 Pro
    Cooling:
    Koolance 360 rev 1.1 CPU block / MCR320 QP rad
    OCZ hydropulse 800 pump w/ EK-DCP 4.0 res
    Primochill LRT Black tubing 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincentvega18
    remember, they are the same thing, just tested to much lower standard for the tcc5
    exactly.

i just wouldn't say 'much lower standard' since it's PC4000 vs PC3700.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    TCCD = PC4000
    TCC5 = PC3200
    Or isn't the 5 for 5ns?
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no, TCCC & TCC4 are PC3200 parts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ex2cib

i was pushing for max clocks, and probably still could go higher than that (although, i would need a new CPU first)

Doubtful but I quote
    TCB3 - This is 6ns ram from Samsung commonly found on cas2-2-2-X PC2700 modules. It can hold very tight timings, and clock somewhat high. It is found in some PC3200 modules as well, but not rated at cas2-2-2-X. At 200 MHz, latencies are increased to cas2-3-3-6. While this is still respectable, it is nothing out of the ordinary. As far as overclocking goes, this ram can usually clock to around 230 MHz, which is pretty surprising as it is rated at 166 MHz. In fact, this can be found on some OCZ PC3700 modules! This ram would make a great choice if your front side bus frequency is limited to about 180 MHz or less, as the ultra tight timings will give a nice performance boost when compared to regular ram. It would still make great ram for overclocking past 200 MHz, but there are better choices to be had. As far as voltages, it is pretty much standard in that anything past 3.0 volts do not yield any greater results. This ram can be found in Corsair XMS2700, XMS3200, Kingston Hyper X PC2700, Mushkin PC3200, TwinMos and OCZ offerings. As you can see, it is pretty common and easy to find. On the used market, you can probably get a pretty good deal on it. Like other Samsung ram chips, you can identify it by reading “TCB3” on the chips themselves.

TCCC - TCCC is the revision “C” of the “TCC” line from Samsung. This ram is very versatile, meaning it can achieve pretty high frequency or pretty decent timings. This ram can clock to around 250-260 MHz on average. Timings at these speeds are usually cas3-4-4-8, unfortunately. This ram can be run at 200 MHz, however, and still keep timings such as cas2.5-3-3-6. This makes it a good all around ram that can be had for a relatively low price. You can find TCCC in PC3200 ram up through PC4000 ram. The only draw back to getting this in the PC4000 flavor is that it is very close to the end of its frequency already. The Kingston Hyper X PC4000 module I had containing TCCC only clocked to around 255 MHz before reaching its limit. It is somewhat responsive to voltage, but didn’t seem to budge after 2.8 volts or more was applied. You can also find this ram in Corsair XMS3700, Samsung PC3200 and many other Value Ram offerings. Overall, this ram is very similar to the Hynix D43 offerings, but the D43 outclocks this ram more often than not. If you can get this in a PC3200 Value Ram, you will get a great deal. Buying this in the PC4000 speed may not be the best idea.

TCC4 - Another offering from Samsung, this ram is pretty unpopular. It can be found on various PC3200 Value rams, as well as some PC2700 offerings. This is not the best overclocking choice, as it usually tops out around 210-220 MHz at cas3-3-3-X and requires added voltage to achieve that speed. Like other Samsung ram, it does not help to give extreme voltages. Since this ram is pretty hard to find anyway, it would be a better choice to go with either the TCCC or the D43 from Hynix, as both offer more flexibility and much more overclocking head room. This ram can had in some PC2700 Value Rams, as well as Samsung PC3200 ram. If you can find it in a Value Ram, it will most likely be a good deal. It is not in production anymore, so you would need to look on the used market. Like I mentioned earlier, some of the newer Samsung and Hynix chips would be a better choice. Identifying these chips is straight forward, as they will say “TCC4” on the modules.

TCC5 - This is a newer revision of the “TCC” series from Samsung. It is superior to the TCC4 in every way. It is commonly found on PC3700 offerings, and offers pretty good overclockability. This ram is rated to run at 233 MHz, so it already starts out higher than the TCC4 can usually clock to. Timings are very respectable at cas2.5-3-3-X depending on the manufacturer. This ram can be overclocked to reach 250 MHz sometimes, if the latencies are increased to cas3-4-4-X. Once again, extreme voltages do not aide in overclocking attempts. This ram is still not as common as the TCCC or the Hynix D43, but can usually found on the used market for a great price. Not a bad choice at all for either Intel or AMD systems, as it can offer good timings at 200 MHz or higher front side bus options. Not the most versatile ram, but certainly better than a lot of other offerings. If you can get your hands on this stuff, it would not make a bad choice, but it is out of production. Update on TCC5 - It looks like some of the newer revision TCC5 is capable of 2-2-2 timings at pc3200. This revision of the TCC5 can be found in Mushkin PC3200 Level 2 V2/V3, as well as OCZ PC3200 Platinum rev. 2. It can clock very high as well. Users of this ram have reported it can run 260mhz at 2.5-3-3 with very little voltage. Not a bad choice at all if you cannot get your hands on TCCD. Also, TCC5 uses the exact same die as TCCD, but it is binned at a lower speed. This doesn't seem to have a negative effect on the newer revision "F" chips.

TCCD - TCCD is another chip that will be remembered for long after its life. This ram has said to be the “BH-5 Replacement.” While some agree, some do not. They are VERY different ram chips, and do their own things very well. TCCD is probably the most versatile ram ever made. It can run up to about 220 MHz while holding super tight timings of cas2-2-2-X. It can also be run up near 300 MHz, while holding very respectable timings of cas2.5-4-4-X. Some people have even gotten above 300 MHz with timings of cas2.5-3-3-X. This is one of the highest clocking rams available today, and is relatively inexpensive for what you get. TCCD responds to voltage, but never really needs much of an increase to do its best. People have said that running it at 3.0 volts will help, but I have never achieved higher success going past 2.8 volts. This is especially useful, as 2.8 volts seems to be the maximum offered by most motherboards. The fact that this ram can run at 300 MHz on an UN-modded board is simply amazing. It makes it a great choice for everyone, regardless of what your setup may be. It has been argued that BH-5 is still superior. While that may hold true, the ease of running this ram fast makes up for any edge BH-5 may have on it. One complaint is that this ram is very picky when it comes to motherboard compatibility. I have heard that it has a hard time running well on Intel platforms. This ram really shines on the Athlon 64 platform since it is capable of extreme bandwidth. This ram can be found in almost any manufacturer now a days, including Kingston Hyper X, Corsair XMS, Patriot XBL, Mushkin Level 2, G.Skill, PQI Turbo and even Adata. There are specific part numbers in which you will need to take a look at, so head over to the ram list and check the part number of each manufacturer to be sure you are guaranteed to get TCCD. TCCD can also be identified by saying “TCCD” on the ram chips themselves. Get this stuff while you can folks, it may become a rarity like BH-5 did. Update on TCCD - TCCD is getting harder and harder to find as it is no longer in production. It seems to have been replaced by TCC5, which has proven to clock as high in most situations. The OCZ PC3200 rev. 2 Platinum was once TCCD, and now TCC5. Many other manufacturers are using TCC5 instead now because of the exit of TCCD. The exit of TCCD sort of scared everyone, but it is good to see that something has taken its place.
    It isn't impossible for TCC5 to reach TCCD speeds, it just is not common.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme
    Doubtful but I quote

doubtful on which part??
    System:
    Cooling:

YouTube Addict
    doubtful on which part??
    That someone mislabeled your Ram

Xtreme
    yea, i was being sarcastic, but whatever,lol

ive only remember seeing 1 other set of Tcc5 that can do basically the same things mine can, definitely luck of the draw, but it can clock just as good as TCCD if not sometimes better
    System:
    Cooling:

YouTube Addict
    yea, i was being sarcastic, but whatever,lol

ive only remember seeing 1 other set of Tcc5 that can do basically the same things mine can, definitely luck of the draw, but it can clock just as good as TCCD if not sometimes better
    At the same time BH-5 can clock better than some people's TCCD.. Ask OPB if you don't believe me But most of the time it is generally agreed that TCCD consistantly clocks farther than other DDR1 ram.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    again, not true.

and you can search here for TCC5s and see that they are actually on average more-less same as TCCDs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    Nice find! Push for 300!

BTW: TCC5 seemed to like voltage more than TCCD if I recall correctly. TCCD will achieve max clocks anywhere from 2.6-2.75v. Also try placing a fan above them. TCC5 seemed to like 2.7-2.9v afaik.

Good luck! *Waits for results.*

Nick
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    i have the exact same geil ram and too can achieve 280+ at cas 2.5, however heres the hynix test - if it wont do cas 2 no matter what its hynix (and btw, no point peeling the spreaders off its just labeled geil :P

btw i'm pretty much 99% sure you have hynix d5 as i do
    Last edited by Jamo; 04-13-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Opty 144 0546FPMW @ 2.8ghz
    MSI K8N Neo 2
    2 x 512mb OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 TCCD
    ATI X800 Pro @ 570/1200
    Plus some other metal fings...
    Will do me till Conroe
    Heat

Xtreme Member

wOOt were did i see that screen before?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K404
    £60 ($100..ish)

-> Good for the U.K.!
    Where from?

Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BioPC
    wOOt were did i see that screen before?

this screenshot maybe??

cpu speed being 322.5*9 (never restarted everest)

it was a small bandwidth contest, didn't really try that hard to do that anyways.
    System:
    Cooling:

Mini update: 283 at 2.5-3-3-6 wouldnt complete Pi 8M...failed during loop 15. Upped the voltage to 2.9 and it SERIOUSLY didnt wanna know about Pi 8M at 285.

Backed off the MHz to 250 and tried CAS2, wouldnt boot (2.9V). My last lot of TCCD was happy at 2-3-3-6 at 255, so I`m beginning to doubt this is TCCD.

Will try slacking off the timings tomorrow/ today/ Friday, but whatever happens, i`m pretty happy with 2.5-3-3-6 at 275...the only "3" I expected to see was for CAS to be honest.

My last lot of Hynix (OCZ PC4400) would only run at 2.5-4-4-5 and above, although those timings got me 295, so i`m hoping for a bit more yet

Last edited by K404; 04-13-2006 at 03:20 PM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by high5
    and that statement is based on what?
    Imagination....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast