Thread: My hunt for Zerex

Xtreme Enthusiast

My hunt for Zerex

So I've got the last parts to my W/C setup in the mail and I reflect back on all I've read about Zerex, and how's it's available "at any auto part store". So I leave the house to go pick up some distilled water and Zerex so I'll be fully prepped for my leak test as soon as the last parts arrive, but everywhere I look for Zerex I cannot find it. I've been to 3 wal-marts, 2 auto zones, 3 discount auto parts and 1 napa, but I can't find this stuff anywhere! Is it my local auto parts stores just don't stock this stuff, or is it really not very available at all? I'd hate to have to pay $7 shipping on a $4 bottle of Zerex if I could avoid it, but it's starting to look like I can't avoid it. Is there somewhere else I shold be looking? Perhaps a Super Lube or the like?
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

XS Local
    why not buy fuild XP from dden or dteccustoms?

its rather costly, but its reuseable, and wont fry anything if leaked.

Opteron 175 Dual Core CCBWE 0544XPMW @2.3ghz 1.41v
    DFI SLI-DR Expert 11-25 Bios
    G-Skill 1gb GH UTT @210 2-2-2-5
    BFG 7800GT OC 485/1170 NV 5rev3
    74gb Raptor 300gb Maxtor 500gb Hitachi
    OCZ 520w SLI 3.46v 5.16v 12.64v
    Thermaltake CL-P0114 Big Typhoon
    3dmark01 3dmark05
    Heatware

zerex has less of an effect on temps where as fluidxp hurts your temps in a noticable way..

well you can order xerex and danger den. thats where i got mine. u go to napa, and other parts stores with no luck?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well after searching for it on the Valvoline website, I found it is only sold at NAPA. So, I called the other 2 NAPAs in town that I didn't already visit and 1 of them had a case of it. So yesterday I picked up a 32 oz. bottle for $9, surprisingly cheaper than online which would have been $10 + $8 shipping for a 12 oz. bottle.

But I've noticed something strange... here is the valvoline page for Zerex Racing Super Coolant: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?Product=96

Part number VV858, which is the exact same part number on my bottle of Zerex.. however, and to quote Valvoline: "It is proven to provide a 25% improvement in heat transfer over conventional glycol-based engine coolants." From that, you would assume (and from everything I've heard about Zerex) that it is in fact not a "conventional glycol-based engine coolant", however (and the website does not specifically say one way or another) my bottle shows the contents of the solution, and it does in fact contain Ethylene Glycol.

WTF? I was under the distinct impression from numerous forums that Zerex Racing Super Coolant did not have any form of glycol, but it would seem otherwise. Does anyone have one of the smaller bottles from DangerDen/Cooltechnica that can check the contents and confirm this for me?
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

as far as I knew it didnt contian glycol either. its possible that its a special type of glycol hence we disregarded it??? Im not sure.. but thats rather odd... I dont see how that stuff could have glycol in it.. feel it.. its about as thin as alcohol.

does it say glycol or ethylene glycol? Because there is also propylene glycol which is similar but performs better. Usually red or orange.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ethylene glycol... I'll post the exact contents when I get home.
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE