Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good watercooling kit.

two heatercores would give better performance. but be sure to get good shrouds. weapons shrouds are the best i have seen. when he completes them for the 2-199 rad (danger den rad) i am buying atleast one of them.

Xtreme Member
    A dbl heatercore a BIX3 and a thermochill 120.3 will all perform about the same

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay. Should i go for a TC 120.3 or the BIX3? And please, if you could be so king, write down a complete S939 system. :-).

the 120.3 and the bix3 are basicly the same... whichever is cheaper.. but i still say heatercore. its smaller and wil perform a little better...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, i just can't make up my mind, But how much more performance is gained with 2 heatercores than a system, with only 1 BIX3? And how much more power does a dual rad system have over a single rad?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    CPU: Copper TDX Block for Athlon64 754/939/940.

GPU: MAZE4GPU For Most ATI and Nvidia Cards

Chipset: Using original Asus heatsink.

Rad 1: Double Heater Core with Fittings.

Rad 2: Standard Heater Core with Fittings.

The rest the same as before.

Will this perform well?

well a dual heaterocre with a shroud is the same performance as a 120.3. So it would give you twice the coolng peformance.

That setup will perform very well. But i dont suggest getting a big and a small heatercore. The smaller heatercores benefits wont be that great ading it to the loop. The added restriction it gives woudlnt be worht it imo. I would go with two big heatercores or just one big one....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How will performance bee with one HeaterCore vs. two HeaterCores? And whats the difference between a heatercore and a rad?

just bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by AH^DK
    How will performance bee with one HeaterCore vs. two HeaterCores? And whats the difference between a heatercore and a rad?
    120.3 and BIX are specifically made for computer systems while heatercores are the same used in cars, they dont look aesthetically pleasing unless you paint them but do outperform a pc rad by far.

Iv gone for a 120.3 as i dont want a dual heatercore (mainly hassle with mounting it to the case and fans/shrouds), but still want the performance of one.
    If i have to read one more "watercooling ram" thread im guna bring the damm roof down

PC in a fridge idea comes a close second
    Mail me gmail

ah^dk I didnt say the performance of one heatercore willl be the same as to heatercores. I said that having an extra small heatercore isnt worth the tubing hassle and the extra restriction on the flow.

As bacon said, heatercores are for car aircondition systems, and the rads we use are custom designed for pc applications (though not very well)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay, thanks - But how will performance be with one 2x120mm Heatcore vs. 1x BIX 3 and 1x 2x120mm HeatCore?

lol... well i would say double but it doesnt work that way...

if you have a REALLY hot setup (high temps) then it will help out.. but it wont be that huge... It should help to get the water temps down a bit. Possibly a few degrees C depending on load and how much in the way of fans you have. If you have a ton of airflow through that heatercore, adding the second rad wont help as much. but if you have the fans set low on the bix and the heatercore, the impact of the bix will be more noticable. This is true becuase heatercores and rads are less effecient at the lower air flows and need more cooling area to get the same temps...

I hope that helped you. If you still confused dont hesitate with any more q's.

EDIT: I just looked at your system specs.. I suggest one heatercore.. Your not running the hottest cpu in the world (especially at the low speeds that ur running it) and your gpu is adding next to nothing in the heat department. Having the bix3 would do exactly jack s-h-i-t for your temps in my opinion. If you put a x800xt or 6800ultra on there, then we can talk, but for now the one heatercore will be just great.
    Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 12-20-2004 at 04:22 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have looked at a kit from Titan, named Titan TWC-A04 Water cooler is that a good beginner kit?

dont buy a kit... just dont... ill spend as much time as i need teaching you about this stuff till you are able to easily build a system yourself... You will be very happy in the end if u do take the time to learn it.

That said, the kits perform very poorly in my opnion compared to custom built sytems.. They are ok for system that dont output alot of heat and only cool the cpu, but if u want ot put a gpu in the loop or cool an overclocked modern cpu it will not give the greatest of temps.

oh and that kit in particular sucks worse than air cooling.. Just look at hte review. a mild heatsink such as the alx800 beats the carp out of that overpriced hunk of junk.... i think that review ri ght there is proof enough of the poor quality of that kit. I dont see how they were able to give it even a decent rating.
    Last edited by MaxxxRacer; 12-20-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kits really pointless given that you seem to have a basic grasp of the concepts here (IE you realize you need a radiator and possibly even water in order to watercool). Just buy the stuff you want.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Okay, thanks.

I was looking for some cores at work today, and we may just have a big core lying.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You don't want too big of a core... the bigger the core, the more pressure drop involved. If you don't have a pump strong enough to handle the pressure drop, your temps will suffer significantly.
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think it's about a 2x120mm but I'll check it tomorow.

Xtreme Addict
    your best possible temps will be ambient. I strongly doubt that you will generate enough heat in that system to warrant something more than a 120.3 with 3 good 120x38mm fans

That thermochill 120.3 can take the heat out of a system with Peltier cooling

it's rated @ 550w dissipation with 10C coolant air differential

Since you'll be plumbing roughly 90watts max for the cpu and another 30-40 for the gpu, and factor in another 10-20 for the dual pump setup and you're well within it's specs.

If you need more cooling you can always put in 6 fans on the 120.3 in push/pull config

levish what kind of pos system does only 30-40 on the gpu and what pump are you refering to that that puts in 5-10watts of heat. (10-20 for dual). I know of only hte mcp600 (50Z) that puts that little heat into the system. And for the gpu,well a 40watt gpu isnt worht watercooling.

AH^DK: Show us a pic of that heatercore when you get a chance. based on the said dimensions it should work fine, justr as long as its not too thick or too thin.

Xtreme Addict
    most POS systems actually, I'm loosely using watts of electricity comsumed with watts of heat. Some of the wattage used is lost through dissipation into the case depending on airflow and so on and whatever else

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...v-power_3.html

total power draw on a Nvidia 6800 Ultra is a measured ~76watts (for the whole card, under max load). Of that the GPU cannot possibly be more than 75% since you're pushing a hefty amount of ram and assorted other electronics. A ATI x800 XT PE is ~65 watts under similar conditions. Again this is for the whole card ... the GPU is a fraction of that.

a Hydor L30 total power consumption is 23w of which a good amount is dissipated other than into the water, you will not get +23watts of heat into the water. A MCP600 is listed at 9 watts according to Procooling the 650 is rated at 24watts - 2amps.

What do you think it should be? let's even say that the GPU puts out 50 or 60 watts and the pump a total of maybe 30-40 for dual setup, you're still well within the thermochill 120.3 specs @ 90+ 60 + 40 = 190watts (which you will never even get that much to the radiator if you insulate the lines to prevent heat loss).

Then again, what do I know ... I do know this, that Thermochill 120.3 is one hella big radiator. A radiator that a few people using Pelts were using to cool off a lot more heat (226Watt CPU pelts + GPU Pelts). That thing + 3 or 6 fans will cool off quite a bit more than a A64 and a x800 can ever produce.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Levish
    most POS systems actually, I'm loosely using watts of electricity comsumed with watts of heat. Some of the wattage used is lost through dissipation into the case depending on airflow and so on and whatever else

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...v-power_3.html

total power draw on a Nvidia 6800 Ultra is a measured ~76watts (for the whole card, under max load). Of that the GPU cannot possibly be more than 75% since you're pushing a hefty amount of ram and assorted other electronics. A ATI x800 XT PE is ~65 watts under similar conditions. Again this is for the whole card ... the GPU is a fraction of that.

a Hydor L30 total power consumption is 23w of which a good amount is dissipated other than into the water, you will not get +23watts of heat into the water. A MCP600 is listed at 9 watts according to Procooling the 650 is rated at 24watts - 2amps.

What do you think it should be? let's even say that the GPU puts out 50 or 60 watts and the pump a total of maybe 30-40 for dual setup, you're still well within the thermochill 120.3 specs @ 90+ 60 + 40 = 190watts (which you will never even get that much to the radiator if you insulate the lines to prevent heat loss).

Then again, what do I know ... I do know this, that Thermochill 120.3 is one hella big radiator. A radiator that a few people using Pelts were using to cool off a lot more heat (226Watt CPU pelts + GPU Pelts). That thing + 3 or 6 fans will cool off quite a bit more than a A64 and a x800 can ever produce.
    10C is an awful differential. If you're willing to accept such poor performance, why buy all this expensive stuff? Scale it down to a 2C differential, and suddenly that 550W is a lot smaller.

Not that i think spending tons of money and tolerateing a lot of noise to get that last 2 degrees out of your coolant is a great idea, but still assuming anything over 4 or 5 C is not a great thing to do when discussing performance parts.

Levish, when i think of a system that one of the guys on xs builds, especially one on watercooling i usually see a high wattage cpu, and a high wattage gpu. according to xbits they tested the x800 and 6800 at overclocked speeds, which is what we would be doing.. at htat point the card is sucking up upwards of 70 to 80 watts as you listed.. even the less hungry x800 does this. and about 75 or more percent of that heat does go to the gpu. the memory and other parts dont use all that much power... the ram are not high amperage devices..

not that this really matter but for preciesness, the mcp600 puts about 7 watts of heat into the loop according to cathars calculations and the mcp650 puts about 90 percent of its heat into the loop.

I really wasnt disputing the 120.3's ability to cool, just the wattage inputs.. but i must say that you do want to stay well below the rads cooling capacity. if you get anywhere near the cooling capacity of hte rad, it will very easily become overloaded and start giving bad temps.. but as you said 190watts isnt close to its max.

one more thing.. that 550 watts is a little bogus. Not sayings its a bad rad, just that its bogus.. there isnt anywhere besides really really really cold climates that you will get a 10C differential in water temps to ambient temps in the room... lets say your room is 26C. You water isnt going to be 36C. if it was 36C you would have a problem... and if your room is a whole lot colder than 26C then its gonna be pretty dam cold in there. And that 10C differential was also done with alot of fans on the rad all at 12volts. Again, not a realisitic test unless you like a tornando in your room...

Xtreme Addict
    All well and good, however even with another rad thrown in you're not going to see 15c improvment in temps. We're talking 2-5c by throwing in a second radiator, assuming the limit was being approached on the first one. Given the specs on the system I don't think the OP will even come remotely close to 200watts.

So along those lines of thinking, What I meant is that for the system specs he listed a 120.3 would have no trouble keeping the water cool enough from a complexity/performance/cost standpoint.

Incidentally at 5c differential the 120.3 still dissipates in excess of 250w with 3 - Delta Fans @ 12v according to: http://www.overclockers.com/articles778/index04.asp

So obviously you can add 3 more fans which would add approx 50% more cfm and improve on that further. Granted wouldn't be perfectly silent

<.<;;

not perfectly silent is the understatement of the year.. ROFL...

the 120.3 woudl be more than enough, and so would the dual heatercore.. either way he doesnt need two rads but if he wants 2, hey let him... they will come in handy in a year or two..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast