Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TDX or MCW6002?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1
    I'm just curios as to why the 3.1C difference in ambient (in favor of the TDX) was not factored into the "money shot". I am truly baffled by this, what was the point of even stating ambient temps then? Personally, I believe the Swifty problems were mounting related, nothing your fault, but even when seeing an even impression on the base of the WB does not mean it is a good mount. Also, do you know if your MB reads the diode in the CPU or the insocket thermistor? That was not mentioned either and IMO is critical to know. Anyway, I take most reviews with a grain of salt and I commend your bravery.

Evidently I didn't re-read it clearly before I sumbmitted it and other people looked over it as well. You are true, the actual diffrence is only 3.1C. I'm sorry I didn't notice it. I must not of realized it when I was writing the last few paragraphs as I was probibily only looking at the graph above where I was typing. An honest mistake. Thanks for pointing it out!

The review has been edited to show the actual diffrences.
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Workstation: Intel Core i7 4770, Asus Maximus VI Gene, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1866, eVGA SC GTX Titan, 256GB Crucial M4, Corsair HX850, Corsair H100i. Corsair Carbide 350D
    Fileserver: 2x AMD Opteron 2425HE, Supermicro H8DME-2, 24GB DDR2-667, Supermicro 846TQ 24bay Chassis, Redundant 920w, 256 Crucial M4 boot, 20TB Storage
    Notebook Asus Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Intel Core i7 3517u, 10GB DDR3-1600, 256GB Crucial M4, Geforce GT 620M

Xtreme Member
    Id still like to try a MCW6002 myself sometime to see if it beats the TDX for me. Or a 6000, which apparently works a litte better due to the smaller inlet and extra jetting, although I have a 1/2" ID system and im not sure just how id hook that up in the best way.

It can be really hard to keep the ambient temperature of a room consistant while testing. A few hours of running a hot machine in any room will generally raise its temperature a degree or two. He wasnt able to get the blocks at the same time for testing which didnt help either. Tests like this really do need a consistent ambient and thats hard to do without parallel test beds I guess.

Xtreme Member
    Evidently I didn't re-read it clearly before I sumbmitted it and other people looked over it as well. You are true, the actual diffrence is only 3.1C. I'm sorry I didn't notice it.

LN doesn't have editors, and reviews are done on an individual basis, not a team basis like a professional review site like Anand, [H], or the other big guys have. We only provide a means for people to publish their own reviews. We allow beginners and guests to review on our site and aren't responsible for what anyone reviews. I certainly don't go changing numbers around in reviews just cause they don't look right. WackyComputer edited the review and I know he focused more on grammar, punctuation, spelling, and HTML issues than content, which we usually leave up to the reviewers

A lot in the review could be clarified, cleaned up and done a little better. Our review system is under construction so theres no quick way to make small edits at this time. But if Wes chooses to do an update or major revision to the review, we'll post it up. Thats really up to him though, and based on all the negativity he's received, I don't know if the desire will be there

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WesM63
    And the review does state I used MBM for cpu temps and a $10 radio shack thermometer for water temps because not everyone has access to very expensive digital thermometers.

I tried to make things as clear as possable.
    Saying I didn't have money to spend is not an excuse for putting up numbers that are quite obviously wrong.

Also I'd like to point out that equpiment with a tiny fraction the margin of error (perhaps 1/10th as much as MBM!) is available for little or no extra verses radioshack if you know where to look. Ebay is great in this regard. If an AMD system is used, a diode reader can be constructed for virtually nothing, I got my MAXIM chip for a reader completely free. Check www.procooling.com for some great material and guides if you're interested.

Back on topic, I don't think you intended to be misleading, but you were anyway which is why people are taking issue. Personally I would not have attempted to measure temps in your situation since its clear you didn't have the equipment to do what you set out to do, and didn't have the know-how to obtain it cheaply. But since you did, the best procedure probably would have been to do a few mounts and retests of each system in alternating order, check the standard deviation, and compare to the results. If the numbers looked ok, I would have published them. Otherwise I would simply have stated that both performed well, but that the difference was small enough it couldn't be accurately measured.

Im not going to get in the middle of this, but atleast you guys are keeping it civil. These things usually turn into flame wars.. Hopefully there is something to learn from all of this.

Xtreme Cruncher
    The review stated it all and I'm not arguing anymore about it.
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Workstation: Intel Core i7 4770, Asus Maximus VI Gene, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1866, eVGA SC GTX Titan, 256GB Crucial M4, Corsair HX850, Corsair H100i. Corsair Carbide 350D
    Fileserver: 2x AMD Opteron 2425HE, Supermicro H8DME-2, 24GB DDR2-667, Supermicro 846TQ 24bay Chassis, Redundant 920w, 256 Crucial M4 boot, 20TB Storage
    Notebook Asus Zenbook UX32VD-DH71, Intel Core i7 3517u, 10GB DDR3-1600, 256GB Crucial M4, Geforce GT 620M

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1
    I'm just curios as to why the 3.1C difference in ambient (in favor of the TDX) was not factored into the "money shot". I am truly baffled by this, what was the point of even stating ambient temps then? Personally, I believe the Swifty problems were mounting related, nothing your fault, but even when seeing an even impression on the base of the WB does not mean it is a good mount. Also, do you know if your MB reads the diode in the CPU or the insocket thermistor? That was not mentioned either and IMO is critical to know. Anyway, I take most reviews with a grain of salt and I commend your bravery.
    Why when testing water blocks would you care what the difference in ambient temps is. He did state the water temps and that is what should be taken into account not the ambient air temps. With the water temp figured in the difference between the two blocks was 5°c. Ambient air temp would only be a factor when testing two complete systems so the pump, tubing, radiator and fan used would show in the final result.

Xtreme Addict
    reason is clear the radiator removes X amount of heat and the temp of the air will change the overall static temp of the water going thru the system.

Water temps were higher on the 6002 which is a direct relation to the ambient air temps.

would have been nice to see what both did at the same ambient temps but its clear the TDX did win the test.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Mentor
    So which one is better? The TDX with accelerators?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Depends on your pump really. Low flow the swifty is better, high flow a TDX with a #5 would be better.
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

Tyler Durden
    Correct. I'd personally get the 6000 over the 6002 too though no matter what size tubing I had as the 6000 performs better than the 6002 somehow. I think it's how the fittings were put on the 6002, it's a restriction.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll make it clear that what happened in my review was the 6002 was mounted improperly (can't use the 6002 with mobile or cpu's with removed IHS) the block was coming in-contact with the Cam socket causing in-sufficent mounting pressure.

Thus resulting in the TDX begin better in my system due to its standard mounting mechanism and small base. (Supposidly swiftech has a block that will work with mobile and non-IHS cpu's)
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Xtreme Mentor
    Doesnt the 6002 work on mobiles or none IHS chips if you dont use the retention frame and just screw straight thru the MB?

i think the 6002 has a step on one side that shoudl allow it to be used without the ihs.. but dont take my word on that..

Tyler Durden
    How do I know which nozzle is the #5 nozzle for my RBX?

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY
    How do I know which nozzle is the #5 nozzle for my RBX?
    The one with the holes in it is #5

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]=
    Doesnt the 6002 work on mobiles or none IHS chips if you dont use the retention frame and just screw straight thru the MB?

Yes and No, depends on who you ask. It *works* but your not going to get the best temp out of it.

What you said is exactly how I mounted mine.

i think the 6002 has a step on one side that shoudl allow it to be used without the ihs.. but dont take my word on that..

In theroy that would work, but that one is designed to fit the Socket A cpu's and don't know if the mounting is changable on it.
    Donate to XtremeSystems!

Xtreme Member
    The same problem existes using a P4 with the IHS removed. WBs or HS using the stock bracket wont work, even the alphas and SP94s will hit the standoffs on the MB before it will contact the core. I had to modify both my SP94 and before that my alphas to allow them to be used with the IHS removed, I only tried a couple HSs that used the stock retention bracket but it appears any mounted that way will not work.

Tyler Durden
    Would my RBX make proper contact if I removed the IHS from my 3400+?

Xtreme Member
    Yes it would.

Tyler Durden
    Would there be any possibility of me tightening it down too hard and cracking the core? Or do you think it'd be pretty obvious where to stop tightening?

enjoy, from what i hear the a64 cores are rather fragile. atleast more so than the barton and tbred cores of yonder years. How much truth to there is in that i dont know. But be careful.

I suggest just making sure its nice and snug so that hte block doesnt move around and gets good pressure..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123