Thread: Dual Whitewater blocks

Dual Whitewater blocks

So I have 2 DTWW blocks laying around. Heard the poly cracks for waterchilling, so i bought the aluminum version. Now i hear the anodizing wears off, but i have zerex so im not worried.
    Anyway, I want to use both. One on my video, one on my cpu. Will a 1250 give enough head to do both of these waterblocks? I know the head is low on the eheim, and the WW are restrictive. Would be running through a 3-302 heatercore (I believe that is it) Anyway, anyone have any ideas on whether or not this would be okay?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How would you attach a DTWW to a video card?
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

I have the 6800 ultra, and im pretty sure its possible...just make your own retention clip. Anyway, regardless of finding a means to attach it..can the eheim 1250 support it?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess that's just a subjective question answered only by how much performance you want out of your system. I would venture to say that the performance would be degraded compared to say an Iwaki MD20Z, but it wouldn't be horrible. You could definitely benefit performance wise from a better pump.. possibly in the 5-10C range. One possible way to help negate the performance loss would be to get a less restrive heatercore, something like a 2-342.
    DFI LP LT X38-T2R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 PC8500
    eVGA 9800 GX2
    WD Raptor X 150GB
    PCP&P 750W Silencer
    CM Stacker 830 SE

Xtreme Member
    The Eheim would work fine for you with only a moderate loss in temps (I would guess about 2°) but I would run them in parallel with that pump. With the extra flow that pump has to its head parallel should still get you 1gpm+ flow where series would be lucky to get 3/4gpm. And the WW works very well once you hit the 1gpm flow rate, reason for the relativly close temps (with a 70w heat load about 1.5° between 1gpm and 2.5gpm)

Tyler Durden
    I wonder how much better a WW would cooler a 6800 Ultra than say, a maze 4 or fusion HL gpu block?

Xtreme Member
    Not as much as you would think. It shoud be in the area of 3 degrees or so. The parallel setup will only work with two blocks that are exactly the same also, if tried with a reg GPU block the CPU would be severely hurt as far as temps/flow go.
    Also in a parallel setup like this the tubing before and after the split along with the rad will have a much bigger impact. I would split as close to the pump and rad as possible and maybe even think of getting a 2-342 (single pass)for a rad.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-16-2004 at 10:44 PM.

The 1250 would not give great performance, but the WW seems to work well even at lower flow, so it should work ok.

Xtreme Member
    If it were setup the way I suggested I believe the 1250 would be a very good choice, probably better than the MCP600 (its lack of total flow would come into play on a parallel setup) and the fact the 1250 and MCP600 both have about the same heat dump. In a parallel setup like that you could realisticly look at flow rates in the 1~1.25gpm area and at that flow there is realisticly only 1~2° better temps to be gained by large increases in flow that a pump like the MD 20 Iwaki (not the RZ either since flow would be as important as head).

We all think series is the only way to setup our blocks which is usually true but in cases like this with two identical blocks it really can be the best way. And with the pump mentioned is a best choice. He will get I would guess close to 90% of the flow through each block in this setup as he would with just a single block and more than with a series arangement with a dedicated GPU block (Mazr4 or SP fusion) with better temps all round. It is a very good setup as long as he can get a good mount of the WW on his vid card.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-17-2004 at 02:40 AM.

you do make a good point... I would really like to see some tests done on this.

Well it could probably make a good setup beyond the tubing mess from having 2 3 barb blocks. it would be y fittings madness... one to split output to blocks, and then one for each block to bring it back down to one and then one from that to bring it down to one total line before it goes into rad... man ok that sounds restrictive but it should work.

Im pretty sure the flow would be enough to make it worth while. wont get bad temps at all. Im just so ingraned that iwaki is the only way to go that my instictive reaction is to say anything less than iwaki is not enough... once u go green u dont go back i guess...

Xtreme Member
    To help tubing a res with multi inlet barbs would help, some of the dbl 5 1/4s have 4 which would eliminate all the Ys on the outlets.

yah u would just need to have hte rad before the blocks to do it that way..

Xtreme Member
    Honestly if a person was going to use two cpu blocks the TDX w/#5 would be a better choice since it is smaller and a 2 barbed block.

So how would a 4 port bay res eliminate all of the Y's ? First off, i need a y to connect the two blocks to the radiator right? Or would i design my radiator to have 2 outlets? Also, if there are 4 outlets on my waterblocks, that means i have to have 5 ports on my bay res, not 4. Correct?

If anyone has any idea where to pick these up, (if they even make a 5 port res) please let me know. I am interested in trying it, and letting you guys know how it works out. If i do it, ill have to really redo the layout of my wiring inside of the new case. As it is right now, its pretty fugly.

Also, i have a chevette heatercore, but heard good things about the 302. I can more than likely get the chevette core in there if i remove one of the drive cages. Which is a viable option, but I do have about 4 - 3 1/2 drives, which means taking up another 5 1/4 for a hard drive. I really need 2 5 1/4's free though. IF the 342 is that much better in my situation, I will buy it just to install in the top of my case. Please let me know.
    Last edited by Lash444; 12-17-2004 at 05:55 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Ok I finally found one that I was looking for Here
    They used to be easy to find with the 4 inlets but this is the only one I could right now.

It wont eliminate all the Ys, just those on the outlet side of the WW which would be 3. Since all four otlets can each go to seperate inlets on the res.

The 2-342 would give better temps (I would guess in the area of 3°c) it will be atleast 3" higher maybe more and has one barb on each end. Main difference in temps would be the size difference and a lil from more flow because of less restriction of the RAD.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-17-2004 at 07:28 AM.

ancient the 2-342 wont give an increase like that. Its a single pass rad and will reduce its cooling capacity because it is.its not by much, but it will. the extra flow should balance this out though. So i really dont see a diff in temps. We should contact weapon on this. He has done testing on it.

weapon said stay with the 2-302. The eheim will work fine through it. Order is already in for one with his shroud :P

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    ancient the 2-342 wont give an increase like that. Its a single pass rad and will reduce its cooling capacity because it is.its not by much, but it will. the extra flow should balance this out though. So i really dont see a diff in temps. We should contact weapon on this. He has done testing on it.
    He should see a good sized increase going from a chevette to a 2-342. It wasnt comparing a 2-302 to the 2-342. I was talking about the 342 because with a parallel setup his blocks will have about half the restriction of a sigle block and the rad would become a much larger part of total system restriction affecting flow more than would be in a normal single block or series dual block setup.

Personaly I like the 302 over the 342 in any series setup I would run, I feel the increased water velocity in the tubes will more than make up for the restriction increase. But this is a different setup with the block in parallel, both the rad and the tubing become a much bigger percentage of the total restriction hence carry a much bigger gain by lowering.

He could realisticly be looking at close to 3gpm going through the rad, which carries a much bigger hit than at 1.5.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-17-2004 at 02:28 PM.

oh ok.. i see where you are coming from on this one..

3gpm is high hopes...

Xtreme Member
    I agree on high hopes and think it will be in the 2.3 to 2.7 or so with half that through each block.