Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: OCZ VX, Best Memory made since BH5!!

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by formyfaith
    above 275mhz with the 166 divider i can't boot either.

also is my friend, too. guess everyone with the neo2 board may have the

same problem.
    Im going to point MSI at this thread and see if they can help.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Mentor
    why are you guys messing with dividers? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xgman
    why are you guys messing with dividers? doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?
    yeah high 1:1 is best for AMD64
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe
    We also have a growing team of forum whores who are here to look after you guys and answer all your questions...
    Hey I'm no whore!! :smileysex

For real though, OCZ is the most devoted company we have for us xtreme enthusiasts. Just be patient and they will get us more VX soon. I know none of us like to wait, but would we rather have un tested IC's on the VX that'll only do pc3200?
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

Xtreme Addict
    eva, there is no such thing as 1:1 on A64, memory runs based on a CPU divider, not HTT (FSB).

Dividers such as 166, 183, etc... just change the divider that is used based on the CPU speed.

Many times you can optimize your CPU speed, by using a divider, effectively increasing your multiplier (if you imagined the multiplier to be RAM speed x Multi = CPU speed)

Of course if you have an FX chip, then there is no reason to play with dividers But for those stuck with a 9x multi, dividers can be a huge improvement...

BTW, for those looking to buy VX, these guys look like they are in stock (ship worldwide as well) if you don't mind paying a little extra:

http://www.microstorm.com/OCZ_1GB_51...id-529218.html
    Last edited by LilGator; 12-20-2004 at 09:51 AM.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    it's out of stock, pretty much EVERYWHERE......

Xtreme Member
    glad i jumped in on it when i did!

-100c Club Member
    Don't worry, unless I get 260+ dual channel 2-2-2-x, I will be selling my 4 pieces or something and look for BH-5 instead. Per price, it's 1:1 seems good but that doesn't take into account of divider unfortunately which is big turn off for me. (even if I get FX).
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    I've got my VX on a trial base for now, so i'm just waiting a bit to see if there is a solution to this divider problem. My 3000+ is running at 3000mhz 1.6v prime stable for hours .. i was hoping on the vx to use the 166 divider. Let's wait and see.

the jedi master
    166 issue update.

We have programmed VX with a TCCD and EB spd and it made no difference...the modules still didn't like 166 mode.

We have a theory as to why but its best we work with bios engineers to see if we can resolve the issue.

So for now we are advising VX is best in 1:1 mode, some will do ok in 166 mode but your not going to see 300+HTT.

I have started asking if bios files can help, as soon as i know more i will post.
    Last edited by Tony; 12-20-2004 at 04:12 PM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme X.I.P.
    166 issue update.

We have programmed VX with a TCCD and EB spd's and it made no difference...the modules still didn't like 166 mode.

We have a theory as to why but its best we work with bios engineers to see if we can resolve the issue.

So for now we are advising VX is best in 1:1 mode, some will do ok in 166 mode but your not going to see 300+HTT.

I have started asking if bios files can help, as soon as i know more i will post.
    so it definetely is some sort of VX compatibility issue, right? hope you guys can fix this with co-op with BIOS engineers.

on a side note - ATM, after being able to do DDR512 6-2-2-2.0 1T i'm not even able to memtest @ DDR400 checked in NF2 mobo and it runs fine with no memtest error. put back some BH-5 in my Neo2 and it works fine too..... i thiunk i exhausted all ideas i had

update: and for this situation to look even "better" - i already pulled off heatspreaders
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 12-20-2004 at 04:16 PM.

the jedi master
    Guys pulling off heatspreaders is always a bad move...with our ddr2 it can pull off IC's also

bachus_anonym you saying your ram is ok in NF2 but not your MSI?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Member
    166 issue update.

We have programmed VX with a TCCD and EB spd and it made no difference...the modules still didn't like 166 mode.

Thanks m8 on the update. We will be praying for some kind of solution.

Memory Addict
    Guys pulling off heatspreaders is always a bad move...with our ddr2 it can pull off IC's also

tiny BGA have weaker joints to pcb so yup pulling off heatspreader will take a few things off the pcb hehe
    ---

Xtreme Mentor
    I gained 2MHz by pulling off my heatspreaders. I'm pretty sure I was the first one here to do this. If voiding your lifetime warranty for 2MHz sounds good to you, go for it - just be careful not to accidentally yank anything else off.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad.maranan
    I gained 2MHz by pulling off my heatspreaders. I'm pretty sure I was the first one here to do this. If voiding your lifetime warranty for 2MHz sounds good to you, go for it - just be careful not to accidentally yank anything else off.
    Which brings up a good point....
    "OCZ, if you guys spend so much time and expense binning and testing chips, then stick heatsinks on them and reduce their performance?????

Why not just include heatsinks in the package with frag tape?? User option, you know?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Why not just include heatsinks in the package with frag tape?? User option, you know?
    I think this would be a good idea. For sure, case modders love the bling effect of gold and silver heatspreaders. But enthusiasts who care more about the bottom-line performance of a component can definitely appreciate a naked stick of RAM. Off the top of my head, the G.Skill modules serve as a fine example.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    heh, reminds me of the thread in which the guy watercooled his ram

EDIT: here you go

-100c Club Member
    PCS is a make...a manufacturer.

Speed binning of VX ensure every module does at least 240fsb 2-2-2.
    Well, you sure about that? 6 sticks tested so far (2 from RMA) and 1 didn't even hit stock speed 2-2-2-x on 3.5v, now I am just toying with one of RMA'd stick that is keep going down to what seems to be stock speed from 240 below. (@ 215 testing right as I write this....)
    No, it isn't my machine as the other 4 sticks did just fine above 240. If not higher (to 267).
    I plan to call and RMA again. However, the cost of shipping this memory back and forth are really adding up. So far, amount of money I had to spend on OCZ RMA is adding up close to $30 with memories, etc.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme X.I.P.

yes sir.... VX is in my day-to-day rig, NF7-S v2, running at DDR433. i've tried memtest on them and it runs just fine. when i had it in MSI, i get errors right after test #1 and 99% of them at the same address 308.5MB...
    so for now i put my 2x256MB BH-5 in Neo2 and it runs absolutely fine @ DDR520 (no errors in memtest).
    i now recall that this happened BEFORE i removed heatspreaders but AFTER i started playing with memory dividers.... i think i need to look into little bit closer coz it looks like RAM is fine....

EDIT: i just want to repeat that just few days ago i was error-free @ DDR512 and benchmark-stable up to DDR524....
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 12-20-2004 at 11:31 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Looks like the same thing that happened to trans am is also happening to you. In the end, I believe he was only able to run at stock speeds.

Xtreme Member
    *interested onlooker - now concerned with his recent order of vx*

Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE w/ Seasonic M12D-750
    Mobo: Giga-byte EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 Bios F10e
    CPU: Intel e8400 Q832A163
    RAM: 8gb Mushkin 996593
    Display: Dell 2405FPW
    Video: Sapphire HD5850
    Cooling: TRUE /w 2x SFF21F
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    well it seems that I'm one of the lucky owners of this VX memory, got it today together with the DDR Booster, I'll be picking up my ASUS A8N-SLI later this day since they held one back for me

Now my question is has anyone yet tried the VX together with the Booster on the A8N-SLI? I've saved quit a while for this beast and don't want to fry anything (well at least not in the first month )

Xtreme Member
    hmm i wouldn't try it on a board that will be hard to RMA, might want to wait and see what andy says, he trys the booster on a variety of boards.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    but u see, the problem is that with divider issue this memory is useless for those that wish to run it in phase change systems... 256x10=2560MHz is OK with div 200 but e.g 285x9=2565MHz or 285x10=2850MHz with div 166 will be impossible....

EDIT: have u tried e.g. 280HTT with div 166 ??? i can POST up to 279HTT but only 270HTT makes it's way all the way to Windows. but unfortunately it's totally unstable there
    I think VX is great for FX where you can use high multi and run VX at it's highest stable ceiling, or a single channel setup. But I think if you ran a divider on the VX, you are better off getting some good tccd and running that at high speeds. I've had 2 sets of VX with 3 different cpus and 3 boards. they both max around 240-245. I think opp got really lucky and this is not normal for VX> don't get your hopes up and think you are going to hit 260mhz out of the box with these. IMO you will be extremely lucky to hit 250mhz stable. I'm not trying to stomp anyones buzz, I'm just being realistic and don't want people to commit suicide because they didn't get their VX past 260mhz. As for the divider issue, I coun't get any divider to work on the neo2 no matter what speed, on any bios except the 100 divider out of the bios., I could change dividers 166/133 etc with A64 tweaker and it worked, but would fail to load os when dividers set in the bios. My heatspreaders came off the day I got mine. I think it's a good idea if you have a decent set . They run much much cooler with the spreaders off because air can actually pass between them even using dimm slots 1 and 2. when heatspreaders are on, they end up touching each other generating tons of useless heat. Take it all off.
    Last edited by trans am; 12-21-2004 at 08:00 AM.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast