Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: aluminum = corrosion?

Xtreme Member

aluminum = corrosion?

hey guys i was reading a thread and i saw maxxracer saying that aluminum is corrosive to the water system. that scares me, i jsut got my water system hooked up and i ahve an all aluminum radiator running it it ( off a kx250 dirt bike)
    now my water block is the gold plated koolance (http://www.koolance.com/shop/default.php?cPath=29_44) will this aluminum be more so corrosive or less so on the gold plating?

i also ahve a my freezer running some zerex car antiffreeze at -17C and as soondas i get some neopreme (liek tomorrow) that is gonna be my resevoir/ radiator. the only reason i put the zerex in there is to get at the subsero temps, but now im wodering if i should for preserver the metal type purposes.

my question is on the gold plating how corrosive will the aluminum be? how corrsive will the zerex be? this water system has been running fora about two weeks now, what should i do to flush if of whatever corrsive elements are in there? thnx again.

the gold is non reactive. its one of its great properties.. copper reacts with the alluminum but as long as the gold platting is on there it shouldnt corrode. but even still, it would be highly advised that you stick with the zerex to make sure nothing ever does go wrong.. you dont want any holes in your rad.. One time i saw a acutal hole in a swiftech block from corrosion...

if you want some more point of views, ancient should respond tommorow when he gets up... come on ancient_1 wake up sleep is for the faint of heart!

Xtreme Member
    ahh sweet, you dont there is anything corrosive to gold in zerex do you? and we are still talking about the zerex anitfreeze you put in a cars radiator right?
    i has a aych dee thirtee ate sevin-d.
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Zerex isn't antifreeze. It's a water additive designed to reduce corrosion between differing metals in a closed loop cooling system, whilst also providing antifungal functionality also.

Marci: Zerex is a racing coolant... YOu can get it at any autoparts store....

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Yes, I am aware of this... I use it both for racing and in computer systems... in computer systems it won't do anything much to reduce temps, but will act as a superb corrosion inhibitor and antifungal agent...

oh ok.. For a second i thought u were saying it was designed specificly for computers... Yah it actually hurts temps a little bit... but it does get the viscosity of the water down ive noticed... reduces surface tension...

Xtreme Member
    ok whatabout jsut uindg anti freeze then?, my soultion now is ot -17C i was and its about 75 percent awater with ice chunks in it. it happensto be zerex antifreeze for extreme conditions, i cant find anythinng on the net on its affect on gold. maybe some antifreeze and the stuf yourtalking about together? like bonnie and clyde, jekyl and hyde even btw, these vynl tubing can ahndl -17 C right?
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

no no.. zerex doesnt have glycol wich is good. regular antifreeze has glycol which kills temps.

The zerex will have no effect on the gold as far as I know. I dont know anyone who runs zerex who has had any problems with it with any metals..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my question is on the gold plating how corrosive will the aluminum be? how corrsive will the zerex be? this water system has been running fora about two weeks now, what should i do to flush if of whatever corrsive elements are in there? thnx again
    How good is the gold plateing?

saratoga, from what i have read of coolance products the plating is good

Xtreme Member
    as far as gold plating goes, im not sure wich is best, but i get better temps with the koolance cpu block i have, than i did with the maze 3 on the same setup. one bummer is i got the block with 3/8inch inside diameter fittings, i would go 1/2, i have a 360GPH pump, and this block slws it down significantly. :< the maze had i higher flow rate but was still 2 C warmer. also the block i bout (according to koolance) will dissapate 300wattsof heat effectuvly, we're about to see how well ti takes its some pretty cold fluid. my sig notes today as subzero day, i woudlahve been there but in reading some more i;ve deceid to go to ace first thing and get some extra insurance for condensation.
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

cool beans....

Xtreme Member
    BTW Max I wasnt sleeping when this post showed up I was putting shocks on my sons Jeep.
    He isnt using Zerex racing coolant hes using plain zerex antifreeze. Since hes gettin ice in it he needs to up the ratio to maybe 50 50 and that would solve the ice problems and give full corrosion protection in case some copper gets exposed.0

Zerex was making anti-freeze long before the racing coolant and has been over the years probably next to prestone the most popular name of it sold.

ahh ic... shocks on your sons jeep. sounds like fun.mofo my keyboard batts are dying.. this sucks. your son go offroading??

Xtreme Member
    I just got tires and rim for his Xmas present (onroad type 235 60 16s) and am getting new spings as soon as they come in and will lower the fron an inch or 2. I want on road handling to improve, far more important than off for a teen. The shocks were Bilstein which work far better than the originals.

bilsteins are great. did you get stiffer springs? i know ppl who buy shorter springs but then dont realize that they are same stiffnes and then bottom out the car..

Xtreme Member
    Wont bottom the Jeep out. Just got the reg HD and will cut 1 1/2 coils off before I install. Nobody makes after market springs for it. A few lift kits tho and I want to go the other way.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-15-2004 at 06:45 PM.

hehe... red HD?? i suppose that means stiffer springs... I wouldnt think alot of ppl would want to lower it, but if u dont want ur kid rolling his car over then its a good idea.. will handle the road alot better. lowering the center of gravity is always good..

Me, my first car is (well when i unlazy myself and get my liscence) is a late 80's early 90's mercury.. It makes a cadaliac look small... i could slice a honda in half with that car...

Xtreme Member
    Some Caddys are on the small side

is that ur beast?? its sexy... well im talking about the old caddies... ill show u a pic of the boat when ia get a chance to go down to the parking lot..

Xtreme Member
    It was my bros, he was busy and I took delivery for him. It was the only one in the state for a long time. He sold it about 8 mos later and made $20k on it.he would of kept it if this number would of been 2 or 99.

lol.. freak.. nice car though...

Xtreme Member
    WTF YALL STOLE MY FORUSM FOR CARS AND STUFF, THE NEXT TIEM THAT HAPPENS MAKE SURE THS ABOUT COOL THINGS, LIKE THIS

lol im sjut kidding yous guys are the man. er, men. btw, my 1994 dodge ram Bseries van hasa 360 in it. and its one ton. yea i know both of you are shaking in your shorts now. panzi's :
    and a puter.
    wif a screen.
    an mouse.
    hai.

Xtreme Addict
    What language is this you speak 'the'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast