Thread: Custom Waterblock mounting

Question Custom Waterblock mounting

Hey, i have a soltek SL-FRN2-L mobo, and i have made this custom water cooling setup, but my problem is, there aren't 4 mounting holes to mount the waterblock on, all i have is the stock clips on the cpu socket....
    i did make a bracket, but it was flimsy, as i didn't have a square punch to make the square holes.....

The waterblock i made is the same size or just a bit smaller than a standard AMD-xp heatsink, so the only problem i am having is the clip length. I yanked a stock heatsink apart and took the clip out, but i'm 3/4" too short (1/4" plexi + 3/4" aluminum). So, as you can tell from the picture on the link, i made a custom clip, the only problem is, its really weak and flimsy.
    So all i'm really looking for is some suggestions on how to get it mounted. By way of a better custom clip, or one from another setup or something....
    i'm jus looking for suggestions.

here is a link to my site with pics and stuff:
    http://extreme.teamslack.net/cpu/
    thanks

I suggest getting a a thick piece of plexi that is wide enough to go over the holes... use it instead of the current plexi ur using.
    ull thank me later... as it is right now the plexi will flex over time. if you look at all the plexi topped blocks around they are using considerably thicker plexi.. it will be a pain in the ass to work with, but it wil get you the desired results...

I suggest getting a a thick piece of plexi that is wide enough to go over the holes...
    What holes? The plexiglass covers the holes.... If you look at the very bottom pic on my website, you will see that the 4 bolts are holding the plexiglass down. The plexiglass was milled to the exact demesions as the block.

If i am wrong, then explain what you were saying.....

Xtreme Member
    One way is to get the SHD hold down from Danger Den
    Pic

As long as the block is big enough to reach where the holes should be the SHD will work.
    Last edited by Ancient_1; 12-13-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Well, if it did fit it would be very close, but that picture did give me an ideah of how i could make my own socket holder....
    i'm still looking for some more options..
    btw: thanks for the advice ancient_1

what i mean was replace ur currevnt cover with a piece of plexi big enough to mount into the holes in the mobo. the 4 mounting bracket holes. i think you mentioned that your boad has them. its the way the danger den blocks mount..

Xtreme Member
    No holes on the board is the problem

ey, i have a soltek SL-FRN2-L mobo, and i have made this custom water cooling setup, but my problem is, there aren't 4 mounting holes to mount the waterblock on

oh ic... sorry im really freeeking tired... finals and 3 hours of sleep..

so it seems that something like the danger den mount that you mentioned would be the best idea..

Xtreme Member
    At least one possible solution. It is what cathar suggests for people that want storm blocks and have the AMD boards without holes.

ok, so yesterday i spent 3 or 4 hours cutting a hole in my case for my radiator. The pics will be posted as soon as my camera warms up (i left it in the car and its 23 f outside), the cutting went peachy, but something interesting happened when i got it all set up and tried to boot it for the first time.

Here is the scoop:
    I got my watercooling all setup inside with the radiator mounted and everyting. I plugged it in and it kept resteting about twice a second.... ya not a good thing. To make a long story short, it was doing that because of not enough pressure on the cpu, so my homemade clip won't work
    Is this something unique for me, or is the processor designed to only work under pressure?

as far as i know its designed to work under all pressures up to the max pressure that is specced by amd.. never heard of it not working from not enough pressure. are you sure ur mount is giving it adquate contact with the core?? it resetting that fast seems like you have a different problem with ur mobo.. is your reset button shorted or your power button messed up in any way...

ok, well the only reason i came to the conclusion i did was that it worked with the stock heatsink, and when i put the waterblock on it wouldn't work

So to test my theory, i pushed on the waterblock and it booted up fine as long as i was pushing on it, as soon as i let off, it started resetting again.
    It really had me worried that i had killed somehting.

i really have no ideah why it would do that, i personally think as long as its clipped in, it will work.....

Xtreme Member
    dont want to steal the thread, but is on a similar issue. If I get P4 waterblock with P4 mounting for my socket 939, should I build a custom clip for the mobo like this guy? How difficult is it anyways, this will be my first build, but dont write me off as an noob, because I have done a fair amount of research.

edit: thanks in advance

custom clips are harder than they look
    if your waterblock is smaller than the clip, then you can add to the stock P4 clip and andd some screws or something to it, i have a couple P4 heatrsinks that i was loooking at. So if it fit over your waterblock, but not tight, then i would make a couple cross beams with hole to thread some clamping nuts out to put pressure on your block.
    once again, i don't what your block looks like, so i hopee this helps

Xtreme Member
    thanks man, I was gonna buy a P4 kit from this guy, but I think im not going to now. I think Im just going to build my own custom one. Just a quick question on sidenote, do heatercores from cars generally fit in a regular atx size case?
    Thanks for the help man, still figuring thist stuff out.

dual heatercores "fit" into some cases, not most by any means.. I mean you can always make it fit, but at what cost and what amount of hacking away at the case. Generally to get it to mount in the front of the case you need a full tower case... and to mount it on top u need a larger size case that is deep enough to be able to mount it up top.

So really it depends on how creative u want to get.

well, it looks like might have found an answer to my problem:
    http://www.swiftnets.com/store/produ...asp?ProdID=282
    just get some longer bolts if needed and i'm all set, and mabey some material removal to accomodate the nipples on my block.

Stelleg151: this might work for you, go have a look and see
    http://www.swiftnets.com/store/produ...asp?ProdID=283