Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official OCZ VX Thread - Strictly Test Data Only!!!

Xtreme Mentor

The Official OCZ VX Thread - Strictly Test Data Only!!!

The other VX threads are getting too cluttered. Let's keep this one clean by posting nothing but screenshots, details, and comparisons. All other inquiries and comments (i.e., where the modules were purchased, how much the VX costs, blahblahblah has them in stock now, etc.) should be posted elsewhere. Let's keep this one official and on topic.

I just got home about 10 minutes ago, so I'll be installing the VX in my rig shortly. My screenshots and initial test data will be posted following the re-format of my HDD.

Cheers!

Memory Addict
    My initial P4C800-E/Gold VX results are listed at http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=223 heaps of screenies to look at Here's where I am now on P4C800-E

Working on 250mhz 3-2-2-8 right now for P4C800-E and then moving to my DFI NF3 250Gb and have Oppainter's DFI 875P-T coming soon
    ---

Xtreme Mentor
    I posted this in the other thread, but it truly belongs here.
    Quote Originally Posted by conrad.maranan

Memtest (Test #5) | 20 Loops | 200MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 2.85VDIMM
    Boot into Windows and Run Super Pi 2M
    Memtest (Test #5) | 20 Loops | 210MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 3.00VDIMM
    Memtest (Test #5) | 20 Loops | 225MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 3.10VDIMM
    Memtest (Test #5) | 20 Loops | 235MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 3.20VDIMM
    Memtest (Test #5) | 20 Loops | 245MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 3.30VDIMM

Current status:
    Memtest (All Tests) | Now Looping | 250MHz @ 2-2-2-10 | 3.40VDIMM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancidelephant
    At the risk of beiong brutally murdered for typing in a benchie pics only thread ... linkage ??? possibly start a new thread ?
    Here you go. It lloks like Micron chips for the OCZ VX. A friend of mine that works for Microns R&D in Dallas knew about the OCZ VX before release wich makes me belive its micron bare dies package by some one else.

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipingWaste
    Here you go. It lloks like Micron chips for the OCZ VX. A friend of mine that works for Microns R&D in Dallas knew about the OCZ VX before release wich makes me belive its micron bare dies package by some one else.
    And how did he know that?
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    My initial P4C800-E/Gold VX results are listed at http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=223 heaps of screenies to look at Here's where I am now on P4C800-E

Working on 250mhz 3-2-2-8 right now for P4C800-E and then moving to my DFI NF3 250Gb and have Oppainter's DFI 875P-T coming soon
    What are you running your VDIMM at? It doesn't run 2.5-2-2?
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

The only ORB-Owning Camel On XS
    NP...

ok here is my post in the other thread:

not playing well with my AV8 and winnie...

265x9 fail P95
    260x9 fail P95
    255x9 fail P95
    250x9 fail P95

1:1
    222,10,12,16 @ 3.4V
    booster in 1 or 2, mem in 3&4 (still need to test B=4 M=1&2)
    would love to try higher V but mobo (MBM too) wont read >3.5...(ill be trying 3.6 on booster soon)

but remember this is a mobo that wont get BH-5 over 225 @ any V or timings

PS this wont be a very productive night but ill see what i can do...just wanted to put out the "first trys..."
    dropped it to 8x 260 (3.4V 2,2,2,10,12,16) and it passed 10x passes of memtest#5, P95 with a superpi 4M durring p95 and 15 min more of P95...DAMN just errored 19min P95...

ok, i LOVE P95 for stability testing...but then came my 64 Winnie...anybody else think P95 dosnt work on winnies? (becides Ol!ver ) i can 3D bench a good 10-15 HTT and 175MHz higher than i can pass P95...what do ya'll think?
    JoeCamel is FOLDing for... A CURE!!! 70+Ghz (please fold so i dont have to quit smoking. j/k)

6800 EX Conroe @ 4740 MHz (395 x 12) - - Dry-Ice in The Camel Pipe -
    - X1900 CrossFire - - @ 846/945 -- MachII cooled Slave XTX - mOUSE-pOT cooled Master -
    - ASUS P5W-DH -- V-Mods: MCH, V-Core, V-Dimm - - 700w "Mr Zippy" PSU
    - Corsair XMS 6400 CAS3 - 2x gig @ 494 MHz 4-4-3-1

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SnipingWaste
    Buffalo PC3700 with Micron -5B revC.
    I soooooooo much doubt that read http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=78

thephenom, all vdimm info is listed at the link in that post http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=223
    ---

Xtreme Mentor
    I ran Memtest (all tests) @ 260MHz 2-2-2-10 1T 3.5VDIMM overnight. I forgot to snap a picture when I woke up, so I decided to run a few loops just for the sake of proving my system's stability at this speed.

My DDR Booster seems to have a problem. I have to force the pot into a certain position in order to keep the voltage set a the value I want. Regardless, I'll Memtest at 270MHz now and will post my results along with some screenshots of benches shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by conrad.maranan; 12-03-2004 at 06:56 PM.

not a lot of good news here...

testing with memtest #5, i can run 260 x9 1:1 dual (3.4V 222,8,10,12)
    25xpass

but i havent been able to find a P95 stable setting yet...
    225x9 not pass P95?!!

all i can say for sure is: this AV8 sure has problems with RAM!

ive tried as loose as 2.5,3,3,10 and V up to 3.6 and multy as low as 7x and ram/booster in all possible combos
    JoeCamel is FOLDing for... A CURE!!! 70+Ghz (please fold so i dont have to quit smoking. j/k)

- X1900 CrossFire - - @ 846/945 -- MachII cooled Slave XTX - mOUSE-pOT cooled Master -

Xtreme Mentor
    I think we should also include what BIOS we are running to conduct our tests.

BIOS 1.51 Beta - I've hit a wall at 260MHz. My system will not boot at 261MHz with this BIOS and I have no idea why. I've spent the last 3.5 hours clearing my CMOS and trying to figure it out. It's time to re-flash to 1.36 Beta.

Xtreme Addict
    Wondering why memtest is stable at 260 , but P95 fails

Someone in another thread was saying he cant get prime to run on his winnie above a certain speed but can run everything else just fine
    OCZ employee and proud of it.
    If you have actually personaly experienced a problem with a OCZ product that was not solved quickly by our wonderful support staff I would like to know. Feel free to PM
    Thanks

I am overclocked!

"Posted on Mar 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM by StormGod
    In soviet Russia memory overvolts you! "

just bacon
    if your using an A64 put it down to the memory controller mate, my 3200 winny as a week 35 and wouldnt run 1:1 at 240 x 10 unless i hiked the voltage by about 0.075v, normally can do 2.4ghz wiht only 1.55v but not in 1:1

seems A64 mem controlelrs are the thing that are holding a lot of people back with 1:1 mem clocks

or it could be your mobo but im guna put money on the mem controller, basically give it more voltage (cpu that it)

edit: mine was a week 35 btw, after week 42 are meant to be revised controllers

Its beacuse memtest tests the mem controller and memory, prime tests the cpu also so with the cpu being stressed and the mem controller at the same time causes your cpu to fail prime
    Last edited by BAcon; 12-04-2004 at 01:41 AM.
    If i have to read one more "watercooling ram" thread im guna bring the damm roof down

PC in a fridge idea comes a close second
    Mail me gmail

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpgroovy
    Wondering why memtest is stable at 260 , but P95 fails

Someone in another thread was saying he cant get prime to run on his winnie above a certain speed but can run everything else just fine
    Same here, everything stable but I have had zero success running P95 on more than one A64.

Xtreme Mentor
    Here is my list of parts that will have to be RMA'd sometime in the coming week:

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    - OCZ DDR Booster (v2.0)
    - OCZ PC 3200 Gold Edition VX (2x512MB)

My CPU has had trouble pushing two modules since day one. I've been holding onto it because it's such a good clocker, capable of 2610MHz 24/7 stable with the retail HSF. Today brings me sad news of a completely useless memory controller. Depsite the fact that two DIMMS are populated with memory, my system can only recognize one channel. Here's a look at 2x512MB. Notice how only 512MB and one channel is recognized. Trust me. I've got two modules in place and the motherboard is not at fault. I picked up another K8N Neo2 Platinum this morning only to discover the same results.

One VX module clocks approximately 10MHz higher than the other. The slower module will always get the same exact error at the same exact memory address.

I started out my tests running with a CPU multiplier of 9. As I continued to increase the frequency for 1:1 operation, I had to keep dropping the multiplier down.

My DDR Booster is also very unreliable. Why? I do not know. I have two 92mm Sunon fans that harness a more-than-sufficient amount of power from the Wind Gods, directly forcing air-conditioned winds onto the Booster and memory modules. The Booster will not hold any voltage setting without me having to fiddle with it every 30 minutes.

On a final note, at the very bottom of the back page of the Booster installation guide, you may read the following:
    7. AMD recommends that Athlon64 CPUs not be subjected to VDIMM voltages above 2.65V. Operation above this voltage may shorten the life of the Athlon64 and/or cause permanent damage, as well as possibly voiding your warranty.
    I'm pushing 3.5V to 3.6V, so go figure. Running tight 2-2-2 timings at high frequencies is extremely hard on the memory controller. Tight timings + High frequencies + High voltage = Tough luck, kid.
    Last edited by conrad.maranan; 12-04-2004 at 03:55 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    The note on the booster was just something amd asked us to post , not really something we have seen to be a problem , outside of very early A64s

keep in mind we dont run them at much above 3.3-3.5 for any extended period of time
    Last edited by ryanpgroovy; 12-04-2004 at 05:49 PM.
    OCZ employee and proud of it.
    If you have actually personaly experienced a problem with a OCZ product that was not solved quickly by our wonderful support staff I would like to know. Feel free to PM
    Thanks

I am overclocked!

"Posted on Mar 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM by StormGod
    In soviet Russia memory overvolts you! "

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G H Z
    Same here, everything stable but I have had zero success running P95 on more than one A64.
    Yeah to be honest I think Prime 95 might be broken. I had it fail (the memory stress test) on a P4 system, tried 3 processors, 4 sticks of ram, 3 power supplies (bought a $120 one becuase I thought that was the problem), 2 or 3 motherboards (ic7-g, max3, p4c800-e). It even failed at stock speeds after a few hours.. go figure (memory wasnt hot, think I had a fan on it and the MOSFETs).

I really have no idea what the heck was going on with it, right now I'm not o/cing anything, sigh.

(Sorry for the OT post but I wanted to add my experience w/ Prime)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by novagamer
    Yeah to be honest I think Prime 95 might be broken. I had it fail (the memory stress test) on a P4 system, tried 3 processors, 4 sticks of ram, 3 power supplies (bought a $120 one becuase I thought that was the problem), 2 or 3 motherboards (ic7-g, max3, p4c800-e). It even failed at stock speeds after a few hours.. go figure (memory wasnt hot, think I had a fan on it and the MOSFETs).

I really have no idea what the heck was going on with it, right now I'm not o/cing anything, sigh.

(Sorry for the OT post but I wanted to add my experience w/ Prime)
    Did you get the latest version? Some earlier revision had some problems with P4, but the new one fixes it. And for the couple yrs I've been using P95, it seems to work well for me.

Back on topic, I guess we'll have to wait a bit until the VX hit all of the retailers, but certainly it looks impressive.
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thephenom
    Did you get the latest version? Some earlier revision had some problems with P4, but the new one fixes it. And for the couple yrs I've been using P95, it seems to work well for me.

Back on topic, I guess we'll have to wait a bit until the VX hit all of the retailers, but certainly it looks impressive.
    I agree about the VX, looks great.. I'm glad they went ahead and released it. As for Prime I got the version from their own website so I'm assuming I did have the latest release. This was only about a month ago.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    conrad, by RMA do you mean exchanging for new ones or returing all together?

dont give up

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Playful_Buffalo
    conrad, by RMA do you mean exchanging for new ones or returing all together?

dont give up
    Ryan suggested that I hold on to the RAM and see what the results will be like with a new CPU and DDR Booster. I'll take heed to his suggestion and give it a few more chances. My CPU is packed up and ready to be shipped back to AMD. I'll just patiently wait for an RMA number and it's out the front door. I'll be exchanging my DDR Booster for a new unit on Monday morning at mWave.

Fortunately, I have another Winchester I can play with until the replacement for my 3000+ comes in. I promised to not overclock this Winchester, so I'll keep it at the factory-rated speed of 1800MHz. What I will do, however, until the day my new CPU arrives is burn the hell out of the VX modules for 24 hours a day at its factory DDR400 SPD timings using 2.85VDIMM.

Here's a nice method of burning the hell out of your memory. Notice the killer memory usage of Super PI. Three instances of Prime95 can't fade Super PI in terms of memory use. If my memory doesn't hit 275MHz in dual-channel after one to two weeks of doing this for 24 hours a day, I'm gonna try my luck and buy another set. 260MHz at 2-2-2-10 is already wonderful. I'm just being greedy.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thephenom
    What's to say prime doesnt have a problem with winchester core A64s? Would explain the problems everyone's having with their RAM.

Cheers

Oli

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    1024mb Crucial Ballistix 255 3-3-3-6

Xtreme Mentor
    Say Ryan, you mentioned you guys only test with 3.3+v but don't keep it at that for long periods of time. Doesn't that completey defeat the purpose of this memory? It needs volts in order to stay stable at high speeds. Without volts this is some of the worst ram out there. I am sure most people got this ram cause they would like to run their system 24/7 at the speeds they achieve from it. Is there anyone who plans to bench with this ram only to clock it down the rest of the time to 200mhz?

ive decided to play around with single channel (1 stick) to test for a "dud" stick (and the mem controler i guess... )

got 250 x 10, 1:1, 3.4V, 222,10,12,14 to P95 for 30min (2 sets of tests, starting the 3rd set). ill test in the hours but this should weed-out 80-90% of the UN-P95 stable settings

260 x 10 failed <1min...testing 255 now...

EDIT: passed, on to the other stick...

UPDATE: 2nd stick <1min @ 255. testing 250...

UPDATE: 2nd stick passed 250...benching @ these settings...then try for dual CH)

EDIT:
    this CPU / AV8 has run in the mid to high 2700's with my G-Skill TCCD in the 260's DUAL 3,3,3...but wont take BH-5 over 225
    Last edited by Joe Camel; 12-05-2004 at 09:01 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Man Conrad, I said they saved the best for last for a reason. I was the 1st to order and mine aren't doing jack. 241 2-2-2-10 is the best mine will do so far. I've been running 3.3v and burning in since friday. I'm really disappointed because everyones getting at least 250 from these and mine are stuck at 240 basically. I tried cas 2.5/3 and didn't help. I found a weird bug with my neo2. If I try a divider like 166 or 133 the system won't boot into windows. I should be able to run my cpu at 280*9 no problem, but when trying 280*9 166 divider there are immediate problems. WTF? I am out of ideas and I'm ready to send this back to ocz.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast