Thread: MSI NEO2 DOA??? or is it my OCZ PSU???

Xtreme X.I.P.

MSI NEO2 DOA??? or is it my OCZ PSU???

Hey guys

I recived myself another MSI today, and i put everything in, but it was a nogo.

The comp sounds like it starting up ok, but i dont get a chance to boot...just black screen. no boot at all???

Do you think it is DOA, or is it maybe my Powerstream 520 PSU doing the no boot????????

Everything still work great in my abit, and in my other msi. I tryed 3 different sets og ram, but no boot.

SIOUX
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool !

Rip Van Hippy

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

-------------------------

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIOUX
    Hey guys

I recived myself another MSI today, and i put everything in, but it was a nogo.

The comp sounds like it starting up ok, but i dont get a chance to boot...just black screen. no boot at all???

Do you think it is DOA, or is it maybe my Powerstream 520 PSU doing the no boot????????

Everything still work great in my abit, and in my other msi. I tryed 3 different sets og ram, but no boot.

SIOUX
    I'm sure I've read about these boards not liking certain PSUs, and the OCZ is one of those.

HTH

Oli

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    1024mb Crucial Ballistix 255 3-3-3-6

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe it's your ballistix,try another set of ram aaaand another PSU.

So you hear any Beep sound ?
    if this is your first night in xtremesystems,
    you have to overclock.

Try using only 1 stick of memory and make sure it's in slot1 (nearest one to the CPU).
    Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester @ 2,6GHz, ASUS V9999GE 256MB @ 450/1200 16/6
    MSI Neo2-54G Platinum Edition, OCZ 3200 VX 1GB, OCZ DDR Booster, OCZ 520W, WD Raptor 74GB, Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol!ver
    I'm sure I've read about these boards not liking certain PSUs, and the OCZ is one of those.

HTH

Oli

Rumor...gotta pull the BS flag on this one....

I do 2.64GHz / 278HTT + with an OCZ 520...great powersupply.
    Heatware

Main
    intel i5 3570k @ 4+ GHz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.1 |Crucial Ballistix Tactical VLP 2x8GB DDR3-1600
    intel 335 240GB SSD | WD Black 640GB HDD
    Sapphire AMD 7870XT 2GB w-Boost (Tahiti LE)
    Creative X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

HTPC
    AMD FX 6300 Vishera | ASRock 970 Extreme 3 | Kingston HyperX Black 2x4GB DDR3-1600
    intel 320 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 640GB HDD
    AMD Visiontek HD7850 2GB
    Dlink DWA-556 Wireless N Adapter

Tablet
    Lenovo IdeaTab A2109 - Running rooted J-Bean & ADW

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood
    Rumor...gotta pull the BS flag on this one....

I do 2.64GHz / 278HTT + with an OCZ 520...great powersupply.
    I do hope you're right, but I'm sure you'll aggree that it's still possible there is a problem even if some are ok.

Like I say though, hope you're right. Would make my MB decision easier

Cheers

Oli

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hi again

Like i wrote before. I have tryed 3 different kind of ram.I have tryed the Ballistix,3700eb´s and some corsair value cheap stuff. NONE of them worked. i have also tryed every slot with 1 module....nothing works????

I have heard of the OCZ PSU+MSI Issue. thats why i ask if you guys think that is the prob????

Unfurtunatly i dont have any chance to try another PSU. i am gonna return it tomorrow for RMA, but it will cost me if ther is nothing wrong with it. So it could be nice to know.

SIOUX

Rip Van Hippy

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

It seems to be a grounding issue that the high end antecs and ocz's have. They sense that the system is not properly grounded and then turn off. It seems that cheaper power supply do not have such good grounding protection and dont keep u from turn on the pc.

I am getting this info from a very long winded thread about this same problem. some of the ocz reps were discussing it with us and that is the conclusion that they came to.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    It seems to be a grounding issue that the high end antecs and ocz's have. They sense that the system is not properly grounded and then turn off. It seems that cheaper power supply do not have such good grounding protection and dont keep u from turn on the pc.

I am getting this info from a very long winded thread about this same problem. some of the ocz reps were discussing it with us and that is the conclusion that they came to.
    Have they any idea as to why it doesnt fail on all OCZ PSUs? I've got a powerstream and was going to get a Neo2.

Got a link to the thread?

Cheers

Oli

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Xtreme Addict
    Guys we use plenty of those boards with OCZ 520s in the lab and have no issues. :-)

Its possible you have a bad psu , or it could be possible that your not grounded ,Its possible your board is doa .

Another possiblity is that you dont have enough load on the psu.

best thing is to try the psu on another board , if the PSU is broken its covered under the powerswap warraty , which means you can get a replacement and then send the bad unit back after you get the replacement,
    OCZ employee and proud of it.
    If you have actually personaly experienced a problem with a OCZ product that was not solved quickly by our wonderful support staff I would like to know. Feel free to PM
    Thanks

I am overclocked!

"Posted on Mar 30, 2005 at 1:35 AM by StormGod
    In soviet Russia memory overvolts you! "

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanpgroovy

ANother possiblity is that you dont have enough load on the psu.
    What's that actually mean, and why does it happen with this particular board?

Cheers

Oli

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D

c[_]
    So it turns on, but doesnt boot?

Sounds like its not a PSU issue since the PSU would shut off if it were.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    if the PSU turns on and fans spin then it's not the PSU at fault.
    i have very similar problem with two Fortron/Source 530W's and two of my NF7-S boards... fans spin for just a second and then everything dies... switching to PCP&C or Allied 450W makes everything work just fine... although those PSUs work just fine with DFI Infinity and Shuttle AN35N so in my case there's some sort of problem with the PSU and NF7-S...

as STEvil said, can u exaclty say what's going on from the moment u turn the Power ON ???

Xtreme Member

AMD 146 Opteron 280x10
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hi

10# Like i wrote in 1# i tryed everything, exactly the same setup,just on the MSI in my ABIT, and it worked just fine. it also works fine with my first MSI NEO2 board. its only with this new MSI, that i experience any kind of problem.

The computer sounds like its booting up normaly, no shutdowns at all. but the screen just keep staying black. i switch over to my abit, and all runs fine. I already send the MB back to the distrubter for a exchange on the board.

I will let you guys know what happens when i recive the new board. thanks for all the help

Rip Van Hippy