Thread: RAID5 controller board Moded ?

Xtreme Member

RAID5 controller board Moded ?

Hello everyone !
    I have 3x36Go Raptors (10.000rpm) and I suposed to get a RAID-5 Controller card in about 24 or 48 hours (PROMISE FastTrack-S150-SX4-PCI 4ch SATA/150-RAID 0-1-0+1-/5 Box) and i'm wondering if there's anyway to Overclocking, or Mod it to controller chips voltage or Vdimm ? I mean if someone know how to make the controller card go faster than it shoult be ?? Please show me how
    Thank you for your time
    Last edited by AMDfan; 11-24-2004 at 06:47 PM.
    For very-soon !!!
    AMD Athlon64 3700+Sandy (Shipped & should get it in few days !)
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4
    2x: 6800Ultra-Extends Performance 512Mb SLI. or X950XT ? (wait for availability)
    [COLOR=Green]G-skill GBLA DDR:600 (stepping:440)
    Promise FastTrack S150 SX4 (RAID-Controller) Raid5
    WD-Raptors 4x36Go=144Go (10k-rpm) RAID-5 & 0
    VapochillSE & Water-Cooling

XS D2OL & RAM News
    I don't know if thats possible....maybe upping the PCI bus speed might do something...altho I don't know for sure...I don' think you can mod a RAID card, but there are people who know alot more about this than me

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcom
    I don't know if thats possible....maybe upping the PCI bus speed might do something...altho I don't know for sure...I don' think you can mod a RAID card, but there are people who know alot more about this than me

jjcom
    thanks anyway ! hopefully sommone know what to do
    here's a picture of my RAID-5 controller card, I need a 256Mo memory stick (SDRAM) for this controller card

Last edited by AMDfan; 11-24-2004 at 07:05 PM.
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4
    2x: 6800Ultra-Extends Performance 512Mb SLI. or X950XT ? (wait for availability)

XS D2OL & RAM News
    I guess you could stick a heatsink on the "chipset" and see what that'll do, but I doubt that would do much...mmmmm...I guess you could overvolt the card...but I would think that would put those nice raptors at risk...you could try running the PCI bus at 38mhz...no idea just did a porportion and figured that would be the speed needed to reach the theoretical 150mb transfer rate...who knows...38x2=76mhz so I don't know if the AGP card would like that much...just run it at 4X if its a 8x card to avoid the problem...

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    I guess you could stick a heatsink on the "chipset" and see what that'll do, but I doubt that would do much...mmmmm...I guess you could overvolt the card...but I would think that would put those nice raptors at risk...you could try running the PCI bus at 38mhz...no idea just did a porportion and figured that would be the speed needed to reach the theoretical 150mb transfer rate...who knows...38x2=76mhz so I don't know if the AGP card would like that much...just run it at 4X if its a 8x card to avoid the problem...

jjcom
    thanks anyway for your help, Too bad if nothing we can do to make this controller card work faster I though I can do sommething because the card have cache memory supported and I have to get a (SDRAM) memory stick (256Mo) & installing on the card DIMM 164 pins Anyway i got my card today here"s a picture of my controller card, and memory stick
    Last edited by AMDfan; 11-25-2004 at 03:25 PM.
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4

Xtreme Member
    psMémory stick not included with the controller card)

Last edited by AMDfan; 11-25-2004 at 03:25 PM.
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4

XS D2OL & RAM News
    alright, just try and get some nice PC133 SD-RAM, that should help speed...tight latencies...

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    alright, just try and get some nice PC133 SD-RAM, that should help speed...tight latencies...

jjcom
    For rightnow I have only a 128Mo SD-ram PC 133 (the one you can see in the picture) But I going to by me a 256Mo stick.. what is the best brand for that kind of memory stick ?? if you have an advice, please I will be verry apreciated. and thank you for your time
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4

i know corsair or crucial (i forget, but google it) made some sd150 and 166 i believe

if you do plan on overclocking that should work wonders! cas2 i do believe too

Banned
    I have a question it may be a newb question but what are the advantages of a controller card like that.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by confuzzedintel
    I have a question it may be a newb question but what are the advantages of a controller card like that.
    Go here

http://www.promise.com/product/produ...112&familyId=2
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4

XS D2OL & RAM News
    I would guess that it lessens the load on the chipset if thats where the RAID is. Sometimes the Sata ports don't lock so you need a PCI Sata card to get around that..

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    I would guess that it lessens the load on the chipset if thats where the RAID is. Sometimes the Sata ports don't lock so you need a PCI Sata card to get around that..

jjcom
    Can you explainen what you tryed to say ? please ! what do you mean (I need a PCI sata card to get around wnat ? ) Thank you !! and personely I never heard about (PCI-sata card )
    Last edited by AMDfan; 11-27-2004 at 01:44 PM.
    For very-soon !!!
    DFI Sli-DR Nforce4

XS D2OL & RAM News
    PCI Sata card- The card you just bought that has RAID bulit in and can run Sata drives

Alright if your confused my OC guide may help...but i'll explain:

The system has the PCI/AGP bus. They run at 33/66mhz each. So when you overclock your computer they go up. 133mhzFSB divided by 4 will equal your PCI bus speed. Now when you increase your FSB, your PCI bus goes up. 150mhzFSB divided by 4 equals 37.5 or speed your PCI bus is operating at. When you get the bus going too high, the Sata ports stop working or the files on your Sata drive can get corrupt. When you buy a PCI Sata card, you may be able to avoid this problem because the card *may* be able to handel a out of control PCI bus.

The main reason for this is so you can avoid the unlocked Sata ports on themotherboard. This prevents your trouble.

That whole divider thing only appiles on KTxxx chipsets other than the KT880. Pretty much all boards now have a locked PCI bus or a bus you can adjust.

BUT! NOT ALL BOARDS HAVE LOCKED SATA PORTS!

jjcom