Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Orientation - Have a question? Ask here!

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcom
    theres an installer for it on the offical D2OL site. I haven't used it myself, since its too big for me to download (unless its at night) since I have dial up. The site has the instructions so that should help you out.

jjcom
    If anybody on the team needs these files on CD, just PM me with your address and I can burn a copy and send it to you free of charge. I have a sleeve of 100 CDROMs that have been sitting here for ages and I've only used about 10 of them.

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla
    Then I'll be making a run at Jeff! And running away from Serlv

Dude, don't worry about me. I'm 13-14 places away from you.
    Ya got close to a 3 month jump on me, I started Dec. 30th.

I do think Chipmonk should make a run at me, I'm much closer. It will be good practice for him in catching you.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XS News
    Yeah. I dunno if i can even get that high. If I leave this comp. on for a long time.... , maybe. And good job so far. Linux is complicated.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serlv
    Dude, don't worry about me. I'm 13-14 places away from you.
    Ya got close to a 3 month jump on me, I started Dec. 30th.

I do think Chipmonk should make a run at me, I'm much closer. It will be good practice for him in catching you.
    lol serlv i dono if ill be able to catch up to u ne time soon, im thinkin with the xeon rig i might be able to hit the top 25 in a couple weeks, but ill need more power to get up there with the big guns. btw i see u onyl have 3 nodes what u running? 3 xeon rigs?

XSDCMF
    Nah, there is more than 3 rigs running. Just three node numbers. I actually could of put them all on one node. Don't let the number of nodes fool you; you could actually run 200 machines under one node number.

No Xeon yet, but 2 of 'em on the way; motherboard, too. Right now I am all AMD.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    Nah, there is more than 3 rigs running. Just three node numbers. I actually could of put them all on one node. Don't let the number of nodes fool you; you could actually run 200 machines under one node number.

No Xeon yet, but 2 of 'em on the way; motherboard, too. Right now I am all AMD.
    oh yeah, the super node thingy u can setup.......2?! lol ur gonna be flyin up the stats w two!

XSDCMF
    LOL, no not 2 dual Xeon setups ( I wish! ). Just 2 Xeons and a motherboard for 'em.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

XS News
    How much does a Xeon rig cost? If I could, maybe i'll get one.

XSDCMF
    150 to 200 for mobo, 112 shipped for 2 x Xeon, bout $30-40 for two HS

plus whatever else you put in it

oh yeah, 60 -100 for beefy psu ( greater than 25 or 30 on 12V ), unless you have one around that meets that grade
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Member
    LOL, no not 2 dual Xeon setups ( I wish! ). Just 2 Xeons and a motherboard for 'em.
    lol, good maybe ill still have a chance then

Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    How much does a Xeon rig cost? If I could, maybe i'll get one.
    100-150 for the chips, 200 for the board, eh bout 140 for 1 gig twinmos (or other 3200) ram. plus u know normal junk psu, cd, hd, case hsf units, so 700-800 bucks maybe. if u upgrade a current sys then obviously less.

XS News
    Ouch... Maybe somewhere next year. Or maybe I can get the old Pentium 2 to live.

XS News
    Sorry for the doublepost. But apparently, D2OL is as a service whenever I start up. However, how can I make the gui appear whenever i do this? This is really annoying me...

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    Sorry for the doublepost. But apparently, D2OL is as a service whenever I start up. However, how can I make the gui appear whenever i do this? This is really annoying me...
    Use DSpy. The whole point to running it as a service is so it's out of the way... and so it starts up when you boot and no one will mess with it.

If you want the Sys tray icon to show up when the service starts anyway, it's really simple.

Go to the Service Manager (Right click on your My Computer icon on the desktop and select Manage. At the bottom you should see Services...) Stop the XS_D2OL1 service.

Now go to the task manager and stop the Gridwin.exe (or Dockwin.exe) Do it for all of them if you used a multiple node installer (XS_D2OL1, XS_D2OL2 ect.)

Now... with the services stopped and the task stopped... go into the Service Manager and open up the properties for XS_D2OL1.

Go up and click on the Log On tab. Put a checkmark beside "allow service to interact with desktop".

Restart the service. It will now start in the system tray. Now if you need to stop it just close the sys tray icon.

Xtreme Mentor
    jeez rod is there anything you dont know about this prog?

^^Not dead!!^^
    I still haven't figured out how to make it run on my toaster!

I made the installers... so i have to know it...

Xtreme Mentor
    true, it would be fun if you could make it run on your toaster, i would make an Extreme toaster farm! they are cheaper than any computer worth buying!

Xtreme Member
    hmm i bet u could get it to run on a cell phone. its writen in java so its possible, lol not that i would be able to figure out how to do it

^^Not dead!!^^
    Only the GUI is Java... the engine that does the docking is a windows app... I don't think it will run on a cell.

It will run on an iPaq... or XBox

XS News
    Or a PS2, Gamecube... The possibilities are LIMITLESS!!

XS D2OL & RAM News
    yeah, your right, theres Linux installers and Linux can run on an Xbox or gamecube, not sure about the PS2 but I wouldn't be surprised if it does...theres cell phones that run a Linux based OS thing aren't there...

jjcom

I am Xtreme

Talking Okay, so here's da deal...

1. Ran the community installer on His. Looks like it is working?
    How do I tell if it is working well and keep track of what it is doing? (other than helping to keep the house warm this winter ).

2. Will repeat #1 on Hers soon, anything special I have to do, so they don't clobber/nullify/confuse each other, and how do I tell?
    Thanks MikeE

Xtreme Member
    u can keep track of ur progress when d2ol is installed as a service with this program.
    http://homepages.opencominc.com/smichael/dspy.html

welcome to the team!

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk010
    u can keep track of ur progress when d2ol is installed as a service with this program.
    http://homepages.opencominc.com/smichael/dspy.html

welcome to the team!
    I've noticed you around the D2OL boards helping out quite a bit! I for one really appreciate it!

I've seen quite a bit of people stepping up for that matter.

It really helps take a lot of the pressure off of Jeff and I... I always feel bad when I get too busy to check the boards and someone has posted a question... and it sits there for 12, 24 or more hours Thanks for backing us up! And anyone that knows the answer to a question or problem please do not hesitate to assist! I promise I won't feel like you are taking my glory! I just want to make sure everyone gets all the help they need... and as quickly as possible! Thanks!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla
    I've noticed you around the D2OL boards helping out quite a bit! I for one really appreciate it!

I've seen quite a bit of people stepping up for that matter.

It really helps take a lot of the pressure off of Jeff and I... I always feel bad when I get too busy to check the boards and someone has posted a question... and it sits there for 12, 24 or more hours Thanks for backing us up! And anyone that knows the answer to a question or problem please do not hesitate to assist! I promise I won't feel like you are taking my glory! I just want to make sure everyone gets all the help they need... and as quickly as possible! Thanks!
    no problem man, u helped me out its only fair

XS News
    I try too. But I don't know that much.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast