Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Orientation - Have a question? Ask here!

XS_THE_MACHINE
    can you combine nodes? I have 2 nodes, and ones producing around 17 candidates a day(still setting up router, only on a P3 800) and one producing .73 candidates. Can I combine them, or no?

Unhappy Changing Process Priority

Does anyone know if there is a script/program like D2OL Daddy but with changable priorites?
    Erm.. best explain that a bit clearer!

Im looking to change the priority of Dockwin.exe & Gridwin.exe from low to BelowNormal every time they open themselves..
    Because this is my only PC i cant fully dedicate it to "conforming" cos i have to use it all the time as well, the problem i have is that everytime i use the PC it kicks them two out the way and they stop doing anything which is a right pain in the a**e cos i want to do as much as possible for the team (and the cause of course)!!! It was easy to set up with F@H but D2OL is very limited like that.

Anyone got any better suggestions than doing it via TM every 5mins?

[Edit] Just found this funky program, not had a play with it yet as im waaay too tired!
    Looks like what im after, it could help us all out with rackin up them points too!

[Edit 2] Nope... It isn't a permanant solution... Still stuck... Any ideas?
    Last edited by Shoom; 12-18-2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Found a new toy! & it worx! :D

Broken Hill ( the accessible outback) Australia

"sneaker netting"

I would just like your views on "Sneaker Netting" and running your client's on someone elses computer .

thanks

Peter

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Officially... don't do it without permission.

Privately... If you can handle loosing your job or getting kicked out of school(or whatever will happen if you get caught), then go for it. You can set the client to cache 2000 units which would probably be good for a week or two. I've never tried it with D2OL so I'm not sure what kind of storage you're looking at for 2000 units.

Seriously though... only do something like this if you can handle the consequences of getting caught. People have had thier lives ruined because of this sort of thing.

Broken Hill ( the accessible outback) Australia
    Thanks Jeff for your views. Actually I should have enlarged on what I was asking . I know the consequences , but for me I dont like people doing it . Running a D20L client to help humanity is a great thing , and it should be encouraged . For me I also like to be a bit competitive and when someone comes along and gets a mile in front of you because he or she has put a client on someone else's computer to get more score , and then gets in front , That was what I wanted to know of peoples views on in this forum .

Thanks

Peter

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Ahh... I see.

Personally... I have it installed on two rigs that I made for people and they don't mind having it there at all. In the past I've installed DC programs(SETI@Home in particular) on people's rigs without asking first. I did it because of the competitive aspect without really thinking it through. Not too long after I did it, I decided not to do it like that anymore. Back in the SETI days, for me that was about 2 or 3 years ago now, not many people would agree to have that program run on thier computers. Now that I'm into the more "medical" projects... I've found that almost everyone will say "sure, you can put that on my system as long as it doesn't hurt anything".

I don't see anything wrong with networking yourself to be honest. If you fix and/or build computers for people and they don't mind helping you out, go for it. I think most of us here could volunteer our services for friends, family, and relatives and get a little kick in our output.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by MintabiePete
    I would just like your views on "Sneaker Netting" and running your client's on someone elses computer .

thanks

Peter
    On sneaker Netting... It's a good thing if you have dial-up or no physical network.

It’s also useful to play mind games with other teams

Just to be clear (because of the way you asked the question... I don't want anyone to think sneaker netting is a bad thing) When someone is sneaker netting they are downloading a reserve of Candidates to crunch offline. So instead of uploading results every 6 hours... you will upload all of your results when you choose to. There is nothing wrong with it...

On installing it on other people’s hardware... It really all depends on how you do it. If you ask and they agree then by all means please do! It helps the team, your stats, and the project as a whole!

If you don't ask (or borging as we like to call it) then you have stepped into the realm of darkness! I would advise against it.

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoom
    Does anyone know if there is a script/program like D2OL Daddy but with changable priorites?
    Erm.. best explain that a bit clearer!

Im looking to change the priority of Dockwin.exe & Gridwin.exe from low to BelowNormal every time they open themselves..
    Because this is my only PC i cant fully dedicate it to "conforming" cos i have to use it all the time as well, the problem i have is that everytime i use the PC it kicks them two out the way and they stop doing anything which is a right pain in the a**e cos i want to do as much as possible for the team (and the cause of course)!!! It was easy to set up with F@H but D2OL is very limited like that.

Anyone got any better suggestions than doing it via TM every 5mins?

[Edit] Just found this funky program, not had a play with it yet as im waaay too tired!
    Looks like what im after, it could help us all out with rackin up them points too!

[Edit 2] Nope... It isn't a permanant solution... Still stuck... Any ideas?
    Hmmmmmmmm... I would advise against running D2OL at a higher priority...

Your computer will run like crap if you do that. You will be able to produce more... BUT... your computer will be unresponsive and sluggish.

A very important aspect of D2OL is that you can run it on a systems without affecting your performance. No one would use it if it slowed down your computer.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I am hooking up a few more computers, and I was just wondering if I should just use the same node or have a bunch of different ones.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

^^Not dead!!^^
    That is totally up to you. If you want to add more just use the same e-mail address to register the new ones, log in here http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp , and at the bottom you will see a button for "Add node" It will bring up a window with nodes you can add.

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    I think you can, and in my case do, lose work running multiple computers on the same node ID. Over at the D2OL boards it was mentioned that if the different computers are all trying to upload/download at the same time... the work will be valid scientifically but you may lose some credit.

In my case I have 3 dual Xeons running seperate nodes on each of 4 instances of D2OL and I have 1 dual Xeon running the same node ID for all 4 instances of D2OL. This last machine is always at least 5 candidates behind the other 3 Xeon rigs every update. For the life of me I have not been able to figure it out.

After reading the D2OL boards and seeing this mentioned... I think I found out why. I'm going to be converting the one rig over to 4 seperate node IDs this weekend so I'll have some hard evidence either way next week.

Xtreme Member
    Hi!

I've just downloaded the installer, registered the node, and joined the team. How do I now my progress on the assigned work?
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

^^Not dead!!^^

Xtreme Member
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

XS News
    Question: I'm new and didn't install it yet. But I'm planning to install Rodzilla's AgentInstallers. But what's the difference between Community and Personal installers?

I'd also like to know how you register and what are nodes? and does it support Linux?
    Thx.

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    Question: I'm new and didn't install it yet. But I'm planning to install Rodzilla's AgentInstallers. But what's the difference between Community and Personal installers?

I'd also like to know how you register and what are nodes? and does it support Linux?
    Thx.
    Community installers are for anyone to use who want to contribute to the team under the Community account "XtremeSystems_Community"

The Personal installers do not come registered to any account... so you use them to crunch under your own account.

To register you need to install the Agent, get your node number, and go here http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/createMember.jsp

My installers do not support Linux... They are Windows only.

The Official D2OL downloads page has an installer for Linux
    http://www.d2ol.com/dOL/download_instructions.html

XS News
    Under the personal installer, can I still set up my personal one and help XS?

EDIT: When I install it, is it the same as the original and ask for the email address?
    Last edited by shadowing; 01-16-2005 at 04:19 PM.

^^Not dead!!^^
    Under the personal installer, can I still set up my personal one and help XS?

EDIT: When I install it, is it the same as the original and ask for the email address?
    It's not the "same" as the original... the installer creates it as a service and is all setup for Max output and other preferred settings. It also installs D2OL Daddy.

The e-mail that it is asking for is your e-mail that you want to create an account with. That's the difference from the community installers... the community ones come pre registered with the XS_community account e-mail.

The personal installers are not registered so you can create a node under your own account. (Which is why it ask for an e-mail address)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hi

i finished my 2nd node so i wanna crunch with it under the same account.
    but what shall i do?
    ive installed the standard client on my workstation/maincomputer. (sig)
    operating under the "socke" account
    what shall i do that my 2nd node operates under the "socke" account ?

thx

^^Not dead!!^^
    Log in here http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp and click add node... you should see any nodes you have registered.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodzilla
    Log in here http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp and click add node... you should see any nodes you have registered.

thx

XS News
    Well. Here's another question. After I install the Personal Installer, do I need to create an account at the create account page?

And should i create a node under my account so that two PC's can both do work and get credit?

What's the XS team called?

Another Question? I did a search and didn't come up with anything. My question is...did anyone figure out if bandwidth was better for d2ol or pure mhz?

Thanks,
    Whit...

A64 3400 NC 270X10 Patriot XBL 2x512 2.5 3 3 7
    DFI UT NF3 250gb WD 76 gb Raptor
    OCZ Powerstream 470 Gigabyte X800 XT-PE

^^Not dead!!^^
    Well. Here's another question. After I install the Personal Installer, do I need to create an account at the create account page?

And should i create a node under my account so that two PC's can both do work and get credit?

What's the XS team called?
    Yes... after you create a node with the D2OL installer you need to create an account. After you make the account you will be able to add the nodes that you have created.

Our team is called "XtremeSystems"

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Redp5
    Another Question? I did a search and didn't come up with anything. My question is...did anyone figure out if bandwidth was better for d2ol or pure mhz?

Thanks,
    Whit...
    Hmmmmmmmmm

I assume you mean memory bandwidth... and CPU MHz... You want a good balance of the 2... Just as any resource intensive app it uses both to perform its calculations...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast