Thread: What is the best micro ATX Socket A board?

What is the best micro ATX Socket A board?

I am about to build a mATX system in the Antec Aria case for LANs and I need a really good Socket A mATX board. I'm going to be using my mobile 2400+ in it (so it needs to support mobile procs) and something that has decent overclocking features (I'm running it at 2.5 GHz now, I'm hoping for 2.3 with a Zalman cooler)

The only features I need are:
    onboard LAN
    good overclocker
    support for mobile barton chip

thats it

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    I believe there are really only three choices for you: ASUS A7N8X-VM/400, Epox EP-8RGM3i and Shuttle MN31N. Those are the only decent µATX-boards with nForce 2 IGP out there.

I know one guy who has the ASUS and has had abysmal results with it, though. Total CPU clockspeed wasn't really the problem, but the board could barely do stock FSB of 200MHz ...

So search for OC results of those three boards, as I don't know whether that ASUS was just a dud or if all of those clock that bad.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    ASUS P5B-E Plus
    4GB GSkill PC-8000 PQ
    Palit/Xpertvision 8800 GT

Xtreme Addict
    WiCkED has the epox and his mobile is at 2.5ghz i think. only prob with that case is cooling. i thik he could get higher if the case wasnt so cramped
    Quote Originally Posted by bh2k
    sorry m, OI'm a bit drunkz!
    Air benches with 3000+, DFI nf3 and 6800GT 2001SE: 26312 3d03: 13028

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah that and you may want to take a look at this board http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...152-024&depa=1
    AMD Phenom II 720 @ 3.8ghz
    DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RS
    2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC8500
    Gainward HD4870 1GB @ 860/1130
    Thermaltake TP 750w
    Custom Water

Quote Originally Posted by MightyOne
    I believe there are really only three choices for you: ASUS A7N8X-VM/400, Epox EP-8RGM3i and Shuttle MN31N. Those are the only decent µATX-boards with nForce 2 IGP out there.

I know one guy who has the ASUS and has had abysmal results with it, though. Total CPU clockspeed wasn't really the problem, but the board could barely do stock FSB of 200MHz ...

So search for OC results of those three boards, as I don't know whether that ASUS was just a dud or if all of those clock that bad.
    I don't actually need IGP. I'm going to use my 9800XT that I have right now in it

Xtreme Member
    You might not need integratd graphics, but most of these boards have it anyway ...

If you've got enough space in that case(not using all three PCI slots), I'd suggest using an Arctic VGA Silencer to get the hot air from the 9800XT out of the case.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    ASUS P5B-E Plus
    4GB GSkill PC-8000 PQ
    Palit/Xpertvision 8800 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Squid_Spit
    yeah that and you may want to take a look at this board http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...152-024&depa=1
    Wow fantastic. That fits the bill perfectly, and looks like according to reviews mobiles work and they overclock

Quote Originally Posted by MightyOne
    You might not need integratd graphics, but most of these boards have it anyway ...

If you've got enough space in that case(not using all three PCI slots), I'd suggest using an Arctic VGA Silencer to get the hot air from the 9800XT out of the case.
    I'll consider that. I'm trying to spend as little as possible since I'm moving my AXP system to mATX and trying to save as much as possible for nforce4 and SLI for my main computer