Thread: Need advice: FX-51 vs. 3500+ winnie

Xtreme Member

Need advice: FX-51 vs. 3500+ winnie

hey,

i was originally planning to build a 3500+ winnie + k8n neo2 system. now i just shot an opteron 144 + sk8n + 2gb khx for about 350e (~$450). as i could get my hands on a fx-51, i'm considering which system to build.

fx-51 + sk8n + 2gb khx or
    3500+ winnie + k8n neo2 + 1gb mushkin bh5

of course the winnie might - and prolly will - overclock better, but i'm pretty sure that i can convince the 51 to work at 2400mhz, which would be fx-53 speed. question is how much performance the reg ram would eat, not to mention that the timings of the 2gb modules are 2,5-3-3-8, while the mushkins do 2-2-2-5.
    last but not least, the fx-51 system would come with the feeling to have some kinda exclusive system

long story short, which system would you keep? and why?

thanks!

p.s.: anyone know if the ddr booster is sk8n compatible?
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it
    Du bevorzugst Support auf Deutsch? Hier geht's zum deutschen OCZ Support Forum.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    939 definitely. It has a better upgrade path and can utilized unregistered memory. There's no point in overclocking if you don't have the ram to do it with.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    s939 all the way, can oc much higher which will result much better perfromance.
    AMD Phenom II 720 @ 3.8ghz
    DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M2RS
    2x2GB Corsair XMS2 PC8500
    Gainward HD4870 1GB @ 860/1130
    Thermaltake TP 750w
    Custom Water

Xtreme Member
    well true, but consider that this package costs me around 350 bucks (including the fx getting traded for some hardware i dont need anymore). the 939 board + cpu is close to 450 bucks, and doesn't even include pci-e, so it isn't that much future proof either.

so, i could return the 939 stuff or sell it and end up with a money plus if sticking with the fx-51. that'd save money for the pci-e/dual core/etc upgrade next year.

i wonder how big the performance difference actually would be ...
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it

Banned
    I think that either way you do it, you will still have a kick ass system, no question about that. If money is a concern,
    and it is for most of us, then go with whatever is more financially viable. When it comes down to it, an FX @ 2.4GHz
    with TWO freakin' gigs of RAM is nothing to complain about.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G|-|oST
    I think that either way you do it, you will still have a kick ass system, no question about that. If money is a concern,
    and it is for most of us, then go with whatever is more financially viable. When it comes down to it, an FX @ 2.4GHz
    with TWO freakin' gigs of RAM is nothing to complain about.
    i disagree!
    how can a rig EVER!!! be fast enough!?

sicness, have you already checked if u can disable ecc in the sk8n's bios?
    if so the only question is how many megahurtz the khx will do, if it'll reach like 250+ at those timings (and command rate 1T of course) i think you should be fine, cuz the perf gain of a 2.5g-ish winnie wont be very big

[edit] btw, what would that fx-51 cost you?

Xtreme Member
    thanks for your replies

der_khan:

a friend of mine has 2 of em, i think he'd be selling them for 350e. i'm trying to get one traded for my old rigs' stuff
    don't have the sk8n here yet, so no idea about ecc disabling.

Xtreme Member
    Auf jeden Fall den Wichester.
    Besser ocbar usw.
    Aber wenn du dir nen Fx53 leisten kannst, wieso nicht "einfach" net Fx53, evtl. kriegst einen gebrauchten halbwegs "günstig" !
    dnb-sets 4tw
    Drum n Bass Arena ..

WPO Powerlifting

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    mensch noktar! dat isn englischet forum, hömma!

anyway, instead of spending 350 for the fx, i'd add another 50e and get a 3500-winnie+mb
    Last edited by Der_KHAN; 11-11-2004 at 08:02 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Ich weiß Der_KHAN (nur viele schreiben ab und an Spanisch usw. und --> ich Deutsch )

Maybe u can get a 3700+ Winni and a MSI K8T Neo 2
    dnb-sets 4tw
    Drum n Bass Arena ..

WPO Powerlifting

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_KHAN
    i disagree!
    how can a rig EVER!!! be fast enough!?

A rig is fast enough until we can afford an upgrade (at least in my case of being a poor college student)

Definately go with the 939 plat tho... more options for ram and better OC potential.
    Gamer: Opty 165, 2GB OCZ EB, 2x 7900 GT, Watercooled (CPU/GPU's)
    Backup/Fileserverr: 3700 sandy, 1gb Mushkin UTT, 9800Pro

Xtreme Member
    thanks guys!

i got the 939 stuff here now, 940 should come within the next few days. think i'll wait till i've set up both and decide then