Thread: Strange OCing problems

Xtreme Member

Strange OCing problems

heres the deal,
    with the system in my sig, when i raise the FSB i lower the HTT and i increase the RAM voltage however i seem to hit a wall at 220mhz
    i moved my SATA drives to the 3 and 4 channels so that they're hot the problem, i lowered the CPU multi so thats not a problem now either.

what happens is that to get a higher fsb i need to lower the RAM an whole generation, for example to get a bus betweek 220 and 230 i need to put the ram at DDR 333 rather than 400, which is fair enough.
    but when i have to lower the RAM to DDR 200 to get a fsb of 240 it gets a bit silly.
    100 mhz RAM with a 240 fsb!!!
    rasiting the bus 40mhz means i have to half the speed of my RAM to be able to boot.

any ideas..its got me stumped.
    could it be that the mem controller on the CPU needs more voltage? so i need to up the Vcore?
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Member
    Alright mate,

How old is you ram, what version does it say on the sticker? If it says 1.1 you may have BH-5, which needs alot of voltage for high bus speeds...
    Last edited by LivingL@rGe81; 11-07-2004 at 04:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    its v1.0, i cant remember when i bought it :S

EDIT: is there anyway i can find out the manufacture date from the codes on the sticker?
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro

Xtreme Member
    you've got crappy ram

Xtreme Recruit
    If you want to see if your ram is limiting you, set your divider all the way down to 1/2 or this will make your memory run extremely slowly, but it should allow even crappy ram to function for high htt testing purposes.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanati
    If you want to see if your ram is limiting you, set your divider all the way down to 1/2 or this will make your memory run extremely slowly,
    thats what im doing when i try to OC it, i drop the speed all the way down to 100, but it becomes unstable, so if you were to add the 40mhz OC to the speed of the RAM it would be running at 280mhz, way below the 400mhz its rated for.
    however this is the best i can run it at for the system to boot.
    maybe the RAM is underclocked too much?

Xtreme Recruit
    I wouldn't think you could underclock too much, but maybe...try playing with the dividers to stay around 200mhz on the ram to test that and also try loosening the timings up to 2.5-3-3-10 (don't use cas 3 if that stuff is winbond) or something really loose like that, maybe even use 2T timing to try and completely take memory performance problem out of the picture.

Xtreme Member
    yeh, i tried to set the lowest timings (summit really silly like 3,7,15,7) he he.
    but i dont know if the mem is winbond so ill try it with low timings at CAS2.5
    i've been trying to keep the mem at around 200 mhz but it still seems to make a fuss

Xtreme Member
    what sort of voltages would you reccomend, as im trying to keep the mem at around 400mhz (stock) would i be best to stick with the default voltage?