Thread: Intel Pentium 4 530 (3Ghz) @ 4Ghz on air...

Xtreme Enthusiast

Intel Pentium 4 530 (3Ghz) @ 4Ghz on air...

Before anything else, I would like to say thanks to Liquid3D. If not for his post, I would have skipped getting the cheap MSI 915G motherboard. I was looking for a cheap DDR1/DDR2 combo board so as to pass the time until the i925x chipsets and DDR2 becomes a killer duo (i.e. better latency, and 64bit support); and in one of my search (and PM with Liquid3D), found out this board can do at least ~240FSB ...not bad since I was afraid the 10% lock is "operational" on this mobo.

Turned out, this cheap board can pull out in a nice OC out of its magical hat. Just don't try to use the SATA and focus on IDE ....

Screen Capture: 4Ghz Screenie

And oh, I know about the vidcard, am still waiting for the good ones to arrive for the PCIe ...

Xtreme Mentor
    nice oc m8

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Banned
    All that speed is usless with that poor video card. I hope your not a gamer.

I bet this things screams in office apps!

Good job, gotta love unexpected surprises

Do you think there is any more left in it? Will that board go to 250?

Nice OC!! Unfortunately, 4GHz is no longer enough these days. A S939 winchester running @ 2.6GHz is ...........heee heeee.........You need at least 4.2GHz.........

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the virus, like I said, I am still waiting for the good vid card to arrive here...am not of a gamer, so I'll settle with 6600gt. heck, even the native PCIe x300 isn't anywhere here. right now, i can settle for the onboard video and be stopped at my OC at 240FSB, or at least get a cheap PCIe (bridged or native support) just to see how the CPU goes.

solid necro, i would assume that's sarcasm...but yes, the board went over 250 and hits 267 as what is posted on the screenshot...

iss, thanks..the point is that, this chip partnered with a cheap mobo and on aircool already hits 4Ghz....i wonder how this chip will perform with a better enthusiast board, video card, and of course, better cooling!!!

and btw, we don't have the newest and greatest i925x mobos here yet....this motherboard is a stop gap to see how the new chipsets and new CPU overclock. i've read a lot of articles where 240 seems to be "the final frontier" for LGA775 cpu/chipsets and water seems to be the norm once you hit 250FSB.
    Last edited by death metal; 10-28-2004 at 07:42 PM.

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    death_metal,
    For future motherboard upgrade reference, I think the 925XE chipset is the way to go for that smokin' 3.0e.
    http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1393
    It's just a snippet, but those results can probably be confirmed by FUGGER or pc_ice if you shoot them a PM. People have been pretty AMD crazy around here for a while, so we don't get to see too many gnarly 775 OCs. Be sure to post your results when you upgrade...I'm excited to see how that chip does with the proper respect.
    Less is more.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    gogeta, that news link is sweet!!! i read an article that Abit's Fatality series of mobo will really geared for enthusiasts...

seems like i have to wait even longer, i doubt 925/925x will be here come christmas, 925xe will take almost forever to get here...i guess, by the time it gets here, all sorts of volt mods have been done and sprawled all over the net ...

Xtreme Member
    acually this 915g board is a nice piece of choice.

these days its hard to decide what to do if you plan to buy a new
    gpu you always think hey dont i need a pce to go with the development
    but ahhh i need new ram/cpu/mobo/heatsink...

so buying a dual ddr1/ddr2 board is pretty nice

spend 500 bucks on pce which you would have spend on agp also
    + additional 100bucks mobo and 170bucks cpu..

despite that i think i will stay with agp gpu and 478...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    actually, tbh, ddr2 when theres stuff that can do cas 3,2,2,8 or whatever, at vastly higher speeds than anything ddr1. Also i think its fugger who pointed out that 3,2,2,8 is faster than 3,2,2,8 on ddr1, so its faster clock per clock. 775 is inherently slow clock for clock with crap cpu's. DDR1 is really just going to limit your speed on a pretty poor system. 4Ghz isn't a big deal on air. ITs been happening a lot, also i don't see why a msi board wouldn't close to max out the cpu, it won't suddenly get an extra 10% overclock just because you move boards. THe diff in board prices is more often than not in the outputs and onboard features, chipsets are all but the same as is circuitry.

NOt wanting to be a complete bastard but there it is. I know it will be fast, and thats cool, but as was mentioned a winchester would be better all round and be quite a bit ahead for a gaming system.

PEople seem very down on DDR2, its fine its great, its better than ddr, only problem with it is its only available with 775 setups. A lot of the results fugger and others have posted mem speed wise are amazing, but system wise are dissappointing when you consider the speed of mem/VC/HDD , its the chips themselves making the systems not the best around.
    Mail Me | 3500+ , dfi sli-dr, g-skill la, 2x6800gt, 600w pcz, stacker case, air cooled

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmaster
    actually, tbh, ddr2 when theres stuff that can do cas 3,2,2,8 or whatever, at vastly higher speeds than anything ddr1. Also i think its fugger who pointed out that 3,2,2,8 is faster than 3,2,2,8 on ddr1, so its faster clock per clock. 775 is inherently slow clock for clock with crap cpu's. DDR1 is really just going to limit your speed on a pretty poor system. 4Ghz isn't a big deal on air. ITs been happening a lot, also i don't see why a msi board wouldn't close to max out the cpu, it won't suddenly get an extra 10% overclock just because you move boards. THe diff in board prices is more often than not in the outputs and onboard features, chipsets are all but the same as is circuitry.

NOt wanting to be a complete bastard but there it is. I know it will be fast, and thats cool, but as was mentioned a winchester would be better all round and be quite a bit ahead for a gaming system.

PEople seem very down on DDR2, its fine its great, its better than ddr, only problem with it is its only available with 775 setups. A lot of the results fugger and others have posted mem speed wise are amazing, but system wise are dissappointing when you consider the speed of mem/VC/HDD , its the chips themselves making the systems not the best around.
    It's great! Great DDR2 results achievable by almost anyone...

http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?re...action=reviews

By the end of the year, I think we'll see DDR2 overcoming DDR by a significant margin (3-2-2-8 at DDR2-800? )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yup, AFAIK fugger and people have gotten cas 3,2,2,8 or whatever out of ram not rated to be that fast at all, just out of, is it centron ram? not sure what chips but sure i remember reading micron chips are doing some nice timings even a while ago. But also with the faster at same timings thing sounds liek 3,3,3,8 was similar to 2,2,2,8, in ddr1, or not far off. Now we have ram out actually rated at cas 3,2,2, 8 .

THe only issue as i see it is most people realise for a gaming rig(i don't know if it would be fair to assume most of us like to play games, but i'm assuming most do) ath 64 is just plain better right now. Think we need to see some amd ddr2 stuff, boards/chipsets/supporting cpu's till ddr2 becomes mainstream for enthusiasts.
    Mail Me | 3500+ , dfi sli-dr, g-skill la, 2x6800gt, 600w pcz, stacker case, air cooled

Xtreme Member
    Nice OC, 31s nice
    Sorry for my bad English.

Rig I:
    | I7-2600K | Intel DZ68DB | Mushkin BlackLine 4Gbx2 1333 | Intel SSD 320 | Seasonic M12 520w
    |

Rig II:
    | E2160 (stock) @ 3Ghz | IP35-E | Gskill F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK | Gecube HD2600xt + Accelero S1R2| WD 250 AAKS | Hec Silent Pro 385w |

Xtreme Guru
    :banana4: Cool
    i5 750 4.20GHz @ NH-D14 | 8GB | P7P55DLE | 8800U | Indilinx SSD + Samsung F3 | HAF922 + CM750W
    Past: Q6600 @ 3.60 E6400 @ 3.60 | E6300 @ 3.40 | O165 @ 2.90 | X2 4400+ @ 2.80 | X2 3800+ @ 2.70 | VE 3200+ @ 2.80 | WI 3200+ @ 2.75 | WI 3000+ no IHS @ 2.72 | TBB 1700+ @ 2.60 | XP-M 2500+ @ 2.63 | NC 2800+ @ 2.40 | AB 1.60GHz @ 2.60
    Quote Originally Posted by CompGeek
    The US is the only country that doesn't use [nuclear weapons] to terrorize other countries. The US is based on Christian values, unlike any other country in the world. Granted we are straying from our Christian heritage, but we still have a freedom aimed diplomatic stance.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah.... these Centon modules I have can do 3-2-2-5 at over 700 MHz. I also have Centon modules with Elpida and another type of Micron chip (smaller than the tighter timing chips) that can only do 4-4-4-12.

If you plan to buy some Centon DDR2... I believe Fugger and PC Ice got the highest overclock out of these, try and get the Micron based modules with the bigger chips.

Man... imagine if AMD released a chipset with DDR2.... you can easily hit over 300+ with 3-2-2-5.

XS D2OL & RAM News
    AMD will...they just haven't considered it nesisary yet. The dual cores will probly have a DDR2 controller. thats just my *guess*

Nice temp with this kind of frequency.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    4Ghz isn't a big deal on air.
    i agree, but if you're on sunny tropical place like me, hitting even 3.9Ghz on air and still stable is already "something". it's not uncommon to see people hitting nice OC on air in places like Japan or Canada ....having 34c-36c as your daily ambient temp isn't so attractive for OCing on air...

now that i've read that DDR2 article, can't wait to see them becoming mainstream...i've read many reviews about this new DDR2 and sadly, that's the only thing stopping me in migrating to DDR2. And that cheap DDR2 looks really attractive ...