Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D²OL Tweaking Guide & How-2

Hybrid View

Xtreme X.I.P.

Post D²OL Tweaking Guide & How-2

There are now Easy installers available for the XS D²OL Team that does all of the tweaking, installing, and registration for you! (There are versions that allow you to self register your node(s)) You can get them from the XS D²OL Downloads page HERE!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the tweaks in short, for a more detailed description just scroll down

1.) Tweak - Disable as many animations in the main window as possible.

2.) Tweak - Or disable all animations by disabling the main window completely in the agent’s properties.

3.) Tweak - Set the candidate queue size to 200+ in the agents properties.

4.) Tweak - Use 2 agents on SMP or P4 CPUs with Hyper Threading (4 agents on a dual Xeon system with Hyper Threading)

5.) Tweak - Use D²OL Daddy to make the client run at the lowest possible priority (Like it should).

6.) How-2 - Backup your node.prp files so you don’t have dead nodes in your stats/profile if you ever need to reinstall.

7.) How-2 - Restoring your node numbers from the backups. You can also use steps 7>8 to fold as many clients as you want under 1 node! Giving you a SUPER NODE!!!

8.) How-2 - Cleaning house of the dead nodes created by the re-installation of clients and the restoration of the node.prp file.

1. If you like the information in the main D²OL window but don’t want to sacrifice that much performance for it then go to the main D²OL window:

Now go to the option bar below the animation window and disable the "hud", "state" and "msg" windows by clicking on the buttons in bar below the animation window.

Then click on the round compass like looking button next to the "msg" button. Right click in the center of the X-Y cross so the animation of the rotating structure stops and is no longer eating extra resources.

Make sure the "name" option to display the names of the atoms is disabled. If not then disable it by clicking on the "name" button on the right in the same bar below the animation window.

Now set the animation detail to the lowest quality as well by sliding the small button next to the "name" button to the far right.

Your main D²OL window should now look like this

This should already save some resources and give you a performance boost!

2. Or if you don’t care about the information displayed in the main window and want the most performance, then go to the properties:

And uncheck the "enable animations" and "launch main window on startup" options. This will completely disable the main window and all the animations. You will still be able to access all options and settings by right clicking on the try icon in the taskbar in windows This should give you a nice performance boost, like running the DF client with the "hidden" option.

3. While you are in the properties menu you should also set the "Candidate Queue Size" to 200 or higher. This will help save you from D²OL server crashes. And will keep you from running out of work. A fast PC can finish up 50 candidates before the next upload. (Uploads are set to every 6hrs)

4. If you have an Intel Pentium 4 CPU with Hyper Threading or a dual processor system you should install the agent twice or 4 times (dual Xeon) to different directories .../d2ol/1/ and .../d2ol/2/ for example

if you are overclocking your CPU ,which usually requires you to disable Hyper Threading to reach a high overclock, you should take into account that a slower clocked CPU with Hyper Threading and 2 agents is in most cases faster than a higher clocked CPU with Hyper Threading disabled.

A pentium4 @3.2ghz with HT is, for example, faster than a pentium4 @4ghz without HT.

5. “D²OL Daddy is a Graphical User Interface that sits in your Windows tray and monitors the D2OL and TSC clients to make sure their processes are running at the lowest possibly priority. This should greatly reduce and in many cases entirely eliminate the choppy/slow response from other software while D2OL/TSC is running on your machine. It will even monitor and control multiple copes of D2OL/TSC running on the same machine.”

I was having a lot of trouble using my day to day rig until I installed this! It’s a must have if you are going to be using the rig for much of anything. http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/D2OLdaddy

6. Some might find it important to be able to reuse their original node numbers. If you lose a client and need to reinstall, it will install with another node. This will give you a dead node in your stats. This is an easy fix.

a.) Right click on “node.prp” in the “…\D2OL\res” folder and select copy

b.) Create a Folder to hold all of your backups for your clients. For this example I’ll use “Node_Backups” and I’ll put it right in the root of C:\

c.) In this folder, C:\Node_Backups, create another folder named after the node # you are backing up. For this example I’ll be using 111787. You will have a path like this: “C:\Node_Backups\111787”

d.) In this folder you need to post the “node.prp” from step a.)

e.) It would also be a good idea to create a .txt file that says which client the node # belongs to. (Which machine and, if you have a rig with HT, which install)

f.) Repeat this process and continue adding folders to the “C:\Node_Backups” to store your different node numbers

g.) You might want to store this on a CD-R or save it to a safe disk.

7. If you ever need to install the node again but want to keep your previous node # then follow these steps. This guide will also let you fold as many clients under 1 node as you want!

a.) Install the client as normal

b.) Register with the same e-mail you used originally

c.) Let the client initialize and start it’s first candidate

d.) Don’t let the client upload any work (you have 6hrs so don’t sweat it) You don’t need to do anything special for this… just don’t wait 6hrs to complete this and do not do a manual update. If you restart the PC or the Agent for any reason it will upload any work you have done... So don't restart!

e.) Right click on the client in the task manager (next to the clock) and select “Exit”

f.) Now go to the folder where you copied your backup node and copy the node you want to restore.
    For this example: “C:\Node_Backups\111787\node.prp”

g.) Paste this file in the new client install folder “…\D2OL\res” and allow it to replace the current node.prp file

h.) Restart the client and you should have your backup node # displayed in the “Status” window under “Statistics”

8. A new node was created in your stats page when you re-installed the client. As the whole purpose of the last two steps was to prevent dead nodes, we need to go delete them.

i.) Go to http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp and log in. Delete the new node that was created by the re-install by clicking [del] to the right of the node. (NOTE: you cannot delete a node that has completed work. Only new nodes that have no stats can be deleted)

j.) You may need to click “add node” to make the new node visible. Click the [del] button to the right of the node.

Please post more tweaks if you know any

Last edited by Rodzilla; 03-07-2005 at 05:32 PM.

^^Not dead!!^^
    If you follow step 3 then step 1 isn't needed at all. You will never use the GUI... you can do everything from the right click menu on the D2OL Sys. tray icon.

^^Not dead!!^^
    While you are in the properties menu you should also set the "Candidate Queue Size" to something like 200... This will help save you from D2OL server crashes. And will keep you from running out of work. A fast PC can Finish 50 candidates before next upload. (Uploads are set to every 6hrs)

^^Not dead!!^^
    Some might find it important to be able to reuse their original node numbers. If you lose a client and need to reinstall, it will install with another node. This will give you a dead node in your stats. This is an easy fix.

1.) Backup the “node.prp” in the “…\D2OL\res” folder.
    a.) Right click on “node.prp” and select copy.
    b.) Create a Folder to hold all of your backups for your clients. For this example I’ll use “Node_Backups” and I’ll put it right in the root of C:\
    c.) In this folder, C:\Node_Backups, create another folder named after the node # you are backing up. For this example I’ll be using 111787. You will have a path like this: “C:\Node_Backups\111787”
    d.) In this folder you need to past the “node.prp” from step a.)
    e.) It would also be a good idea to create a .txt file that says which client the node belongs to. (Which machine and, if you have a rig with HT, which install)
    f.) Repeat this process and continue adding folders to the “C:\Node_Backups” to store your different node numbers.
    g.) You might want to store this on a CD-R or save it to a safe disk.

2.) If you ever need to install the node again follow these steps.
    a.) Install the client as normal
    b.) Register with the same e-mail you used originally
    c.) Let the client initialize and start it’s first candidate.
    d.) Don’t let the client upload any work (you have 6hrs so don’t sweat it) You don’t need to do anything special for this… just don’t wait 6hrs to complete this and do not do a manual update.
    e.) Right click on the client in the task manager (next to the clock) and select “Exit”
    f.) Now go to the folder where you copied your backup node. And copy the node you want to restore. For this example: “C:\Node_Backups\111787\ node.prp”
    g.) Paste this file in the new client install folder “…\D2OL\res” and allow it to replace the current node.prp file.
    h.) Restart the client and you should have your backup node # displayed in the “Status” window under “Statistics”

3.) A new node was created in your stats page when you re-installed the client.
    a.) Go to http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp and delete the new node that was created by the re-install. (NOTE: you cannot delete a node that has completed work. Only new nodes that have no stats can be deleted.)
    b.) You may need to click “add node” to make the new node visible. Click the [del] button to the right of the node.

This guide will also let you fold as many clients under 1 node as you want! Lets say you have 5 rig. Do the necessary installs… let them initialize… Stop them… copy the “node.prp” file that you want to use and replace it on the various rigs. Boom!!!! You have a super node!!!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    better?

^^Not dead!!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    better?
    I got more... lol I had intended on opening a thread like this but you beat me too it! Most of the stuff is at home so I'll have to try and look up the info again...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    cool

sorry, but i had to open this threads it was so empty and cold in here

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ok, added it, but i changed some monor things. please let me know if its ok with you like that, if not, then just edit my post

but dont mess up the vb code!

thx a lot steven!

^^Not dead!!^^
    ok, added it, but i changed some monor things. please let me know if its ok with you like that, if not, then just edit my post

but dont mess up the vb code!

thx a lot steven!
    I fixed the vb code... changed some things back... and ran it through a spell checker (which I think it broke )

I also re-worded some of my stuff... looks pretty slick!

I'm going to take donations to get you a new keyboard and spell/grammar checker saaya You prop wore all yours out 6,000 post ago!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    im not a native speaker :P

ive learned most of my english from americans themselves, irl and online, so i guess my bad grammar reflects the bad grammar of the people i learned it from

we learned so silly things in the english classes in school... just the extreme basics me and some others asked the teacher to do at least some shakespeare but we had to stop because 90% of the class didnt get anything at all and even the teacher had problems understanding it

and yeah, i DO need a new keyboard

^^Not dead!!^^
    New Tweak/Tip going up...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    shouldnt it say "use D²OL daddy to make it run at the HIGHEST priority" ?

^^Not dead!!^^
    nope... Lowest... so it dosn't hog your system when you are trying to use it!

^^Not dead!!^^
    Just like DF... You ran it at low priority and when you start to use your rig it kicks the client out of the way... but it still gobbles up the leftover CPU cycles like a little scavenging vulture.

Xtreme Member
    i think saaya is excused since germans have everything synchronized, movies games and so on
    I5 2500K @ 4.9GHz - 1.45V
    Antec H2O Kühler 920
    ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3
    2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP
    XFX 5850 BE 775/1125
    Corsair TX 750W
    2 x Raptor 36GB @ Raid 0
    2 x Samsung F3 1TB

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creep-DK
    i think saaya is excused since germans have everything synchronized, movies games and so on
    unfortunately

i loved movies in the cinema in venezuela! always the originaly sound+subtitles... that was nice!

and steven, dont you think its better to say its best to set it to the lowest priority if its your main rig? because many people have dedicated folding boxes wich would run better set to highest priority, no? no big difference i guess, but knowing some people here this 0.1% is worth it for them heheeh

^^Not dead!!^^
    unfortunately

i loved movies in the cinema in venezuela! always the originaly sound+subtitles... that was nice!

and steven, dont you think its better to say its best to set it to the lowest priority if its your main rig? because many people have dedicated folding boxes wich would run better set to highest priority, no? no big difference i guess, but knowing some people here this 0.1% is worth it for them heheeh
    The dedicated folding rigs will do just fine at low priority. When they are just sitting there none of the other proccesses will be doing anything so D²OL will take 100% of the CPU.

Here is what the site says about the program and why it's a good thing to have.

Why do you need D2OL Daddy? The D2OL/TSC client spawns new GridWin.exe and DockWin.exe processes every few minutes after work has been completed. In Windows, there are two priority settings for programs, one is process priority and the second is thread priority. The developers set the process priority of those two processes to IDLE but forgot to change the thread priority so it defaults to NORMAL. D2OL Daddy will find those processes and set their thread priorities to the lowest possible making D2OL/TSC behave more nicely on your machine.

^^Not dead!!^^
    I also put it in the guide because the main point of folding is that you can do it on a PC that you work with... without slowing it down so you can work as normal while the client eats what's left of your CPU cycles.

If you don't use the rigs then there is no need to install it... then again it's SUPER easy You can have it running in 3 clicks of the mouse from where you are RIGHT now! lol

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    What happens saaya is a little studder-step if you don't use D2OLDaddy. I noticed this on my wifes AMD XP rig and I really noticed it on those dual 1.6GHz Xeon rigs I built. It's funny but on my A64 rig I didn't really notice it.

It's a little annoying after you notice it's happening.
    Last edited by Jeff; 10-15-2004 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to type Daddy after D2OL. :rolleyes:

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah, ive noticed it already. it goes away by changing the priority? ive also lost the net connection several times because of this "studder" :/

Xtreme Member
    anywork found out if after minimising the details on the pictures, zooming out so its really tiny helps at all? just an idea but im not sure of how to test it?

^^Not dead!!^^
    You can test this easy. The GUI is all Java. When you have it open you will see "javaw.exe" in the task manager. Right now with it open and running normal the javaw.exe process is taking between 22% and 27% of the CPU (on the rig I'm on right now). When I zoom all the way out it drops to between 17% and 23%. As you can tell the GUI is a HOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW... it also uses 23K of RAM

When you disable the animations the process takes up a steady 0% but every few seconds it jumps up to 4%.

Closing the GUI kills the javaw.exe process and it doesn’t use anything! The GUI looks pretty... but it's useless. You can assess all of the info you need by right clicking on the D²OL icon in the System tray (Next to the clock)

Kill the GUI and use DSpy to monitor them. It doesn’t use that much resources at all.

Xtreme Member
    ok, so its only useful when the gui is opened, which mine isnt.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    that's correct.
    in other words, for best performance just forget about java Agent and never open it. like the above mentioned guide says, uncheck "Launch main window on startup".
    besides, if u have it opened with all bells-and-whistles turned off (animations, hud, messages) then what's the point of using it?

Xtreme Member
    yeah i was jst curious as to whether it used any resources when minimized etc.

i dont have the main window open anyway, theres no point to it as you say

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast