Thread: replace AGP slot?

replace AGP slot?

Ok I have an old K7S5A Motherboard and the agp slot is physically damaged (back end is broken off) tried putting a few (tested and working) agp cards in the slot just for the heck of it to see if it worked, but it was a no go (got a nice tune from POST confirming it was a problem with the graphics). Then I put a PCI card in there and PC boots up fine.

I have a few dead MOBOs(ones the exact same model actually) around with perfectly healthy agp slots. So could I just solder on one of the other ones? Or would the heat destroy the MOBO even more?

Xtreme Member
    This has been done before, cant remember his name, but his avatar. Look for the guy with the magnifier in his eye

Wanna look under my kilt?
    If you're a really good solderer, sure it can work
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

lol the only thing im trying to figure out is how will i pull the pins out before they cool, there's like 50 of em? I might have to break down and buy a solder sucker.

Xtreme Member
    The "magnifier in the eye guy" is tiro_uspsss.

E6550 2,33GHz @ 3,5 GHz || HD4850 714/1104 || 2x1GB OCZ PC-8500 @ 1000MHz
    Abit IP-35-e || Amacrox 450W PSU
    || Max. sig. size is 500x250 pix, isn't yours bigger?
    Cooled by: Apogee GT || MCW-60 || MCP655 || BW Extreme 123 rev. 2 || MCres

I am Xtreme
    hello

its do-able

the mobo with the broken AGP slot: is it just the plastic slot thingy or pins as well?

Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    hello

its do-able

the mobo with the broken AGP slot: is it just the plastic slot thingy or pins as well?
    im not sure my guess would be yes atleast a few pins are broken, its just broken so close to the point where the pins start

I saw your topic and im still trying to figure out how in the hell did you get the plasic slot off without taking out the pins?!?! any tips?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1101 View Post
    im not sure my guess would be yes atleast a few pins are broken, its just broken so close to the point where the pins start

I saw your topic and im still trying to figure out how in the hell did you get the plasic slot off without taking out the pins?!?! any tips?
    could u post a pic?

to remove a/any slot, use a very strong, consistant & steady pull - a hard yank *might* do it put ur likely to lose control once it flys off

sorry for the crappy pic, can't find my brothers camera right now(uh oh...)

as you can see the back is just simply broken off, and i have tried just temporarily putting pressure on the back end while it boots to see if that works but it did not. I will give one of my dead boards a yank to see if that works thanks for the tip

well its fixed now, once I had some decent light I could see that the last 2 pins were bent. Just bent them back with my pocket knife. Saves me the headache of having to replace the slot any way thanks for the help.

ps: w00t no more 4bit color

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1101 View Post
    well its fixed now, once I had some decent light I could see that the last 2 pins were bent. Just bent them back with my pocket knife. Saves me the headache of having to replace the slot any way thanks for the help.

ps: w00t no more 4bit color
    cool, good stuff, glad to hear its sorted!