Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Dry Ice

Xtreme Gentoo User

New to Dry Ice

I have found a supplier for dry ice and I can get some. But I have a few questions before I do my first DICE run.

1. What form of dice should I get? Slices, block, pellets?
    2. What material of container would you recommend? Copper or alu?
    3. What temps should I expect?
    4. Is there any other ways of using dry ice in cooling that doesn't involve making container? such as chilled water with dice.
    5. Any tips that you can give me on using DICE?

Xtreme Member
    You should prolly read all the previous threads revolving round d-ice...copper is the fav but im sure alu wouldnt make that big of a difference..if you want temps look around..and yes you can chill water..simple put the d-ice in a res..theirs actually a thread on that if you look...as for tips...since your going under ambient then your going to wanna insulate...id go for pellets since theirs more surface area....oh and most of all have fun and get lotsa screen shots with your ocs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Answer

1. Pellets form to get best contact to copper base
    2. copper is best
    3. temps around - 70 / - 78.6 is max for Dry ice
    5. good insulation matrial

Xtreme Gentoo User
    Thanks for advice. I'm gonna get some DICE this week. Wish me luck. And yes Juicy629, I will definately take some screenies!

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    1. What form of dice should I get? Slices, block, pellets?

I like blocks, you get more for your money, and blocks last longer then pellets.
    never heard of slices...

2. What material of container would you recommend? Copper or alu?

copper.

3. What temps should I expect?

well, the dry ice gets to about -79C, but the motherboard won't report temps of that.
    they never do.
    all temp sensors are different, some don't even report sub zero temps.

4. Is there any other ways of using dry ice in cooling that doesn't involve making container?

such as chilled water with dice.

dry ice and water, just makes fog, the water doesn't even get cold.
    you need something alcohol based to use the real potential of dry ice.

5. Any tips that you can give me on using DICE?

yes, try not to fill a container anymore then 10-15% with you fluid of choice (acetone, everclear, ethenol)
    anymore then that, and you might find you get a volcano all over your PC hardware.

insulation is your friend.
    more is better then less.

you might try taking a handfull of silver or copper BB's from a BB gun, and putting it in your container. I find it helps lower temps alittle by seperating the dry ice, from the colder fluid.
    but it's not always worth using.

don't use cheap alcohols, like nail polish remover or something, this stuff always does worse then good pure alcohol.
    if your desperate for something that will work, late at night...
    the liquor store is a good place to start

not cause of the drink, but cause you can find things like Everclear, or high proof vodka and those do the job fairly well.

Acetone from Home Depot, the Pure kind that you use to strip the paint off boats is great (in the marine section) or the regular acetone for painting does the job pretty good too.

Ethenol is supposedly the best, but I've never found Ethenol yet, so I never got to try it.

lastly, only use dry ice in a open area.
    the alcohol and nitrogen fumes can really screw you up, and in the case of the nitrogen, it's taking oxygen out of the room if theres no ventilation, so you may pass out, and not wake up...
    so use common sense.
    open some windows.
    get a small floor fan.
    and don't stay in there long if you can smell the fumes too long. the more open the area, the better.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    helpful, thanks

D²OL 4 Life
    hmm maybe i should nick some dry ice form work and try it.

How quicky will the dry ice wear off? like 10-30minutes?

D2OL will be on and off this summer due to heat
    man, i thought i was wierd, and then i started hanging out here at Xtreme Systems-Disposibleteen
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Rig1-Sempron2800+,ABIT NF7-S REV 2.0,Radeon9200se,No-Name350watt PSU,
    Maxtor80gigs harddrive,K-Byte 256mb pc2100 & Ultra 256 pc2100 Ram, No-Name CD-Rw Drive

-----------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Addict -100C Club
    10% a day is lost.

and with 10kg you can bench 7-8 h NON-stop
    2 containers
    Back in the phase change world

Xtreme Member
    I like blocks, you get more for your money, and blocks last longer then pellets.
    this is not an good idea.
    you must crushed the blocks, this made a big lost in sublimation in the time if you it crashed.
    this lost is the money you have saved before..
    go for pellets!

- projekt seti-bench @ c4m under 2:00 ::: c4m 2500@3??? ::: 3.0E test'test... :-)
    - P4 2.4B @ 3300 IHS off :: 1,70V mod PAL8942 :: 4x256MB BH-5 DDR460 2-2-2-5-inf-64µs :: P4P800-Dlx
    R 8500 @ 295/295--> DVI --> EIZO 15" TFT :: Hitachi 180GXP :: HEC-300LR-PT :: 98SE/XP
    - C4m2000 @ 3350 :: 1,70V :: 36°C/51°C mod-Kühler :: DDR441 2-2-2-5 :: IS7-E :: IHS off
    - C4m1500 @ 3000 :: 1,7V MCX4000 + TMD :: DDR400 2-2-2-5-infinite-64µs :: 4GEA :: IHS off
    - PIII-S 1400 @ 1660 :: 1,45V :: 36°C/40°C/mod Volcano6cu :: TUSL2-C (Mod) (Bios@Mad) :: IHS on :: Bench
    - Laptop PIII 700@700 (100FSB/440BX) :: 256MB :: 18Gig Toshiba :: 4MB ATI :: 14,1" TFT :: Win98SE
    * Footnote: 90% of all computer problems can you find between chair and keyboard. ;-)

Xtreme Member
    what kind of temps do u see from dice?

Admin
    Alright, I have a few questions for when I get started....

Where's the best place to buy insulation and what kind? What kind of nail polish would be okay to insulate my board with?

I can get shaved DI (think of it as a DI slushy), would that be even better? I wouldn't need any alcohol with that, right?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you always need alcohol many here recomend acetone.

yesterday i did my first dry ice run, one thing i can tell you is that you need insulation.

good luck

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl

yesterday i did my first dry ice run, one thing i can tell you is that you need insulation.

good luck
    Alright, I'll get some acetone....anybody else have anything for the other questions? I suppose I'll ask Jason about the best insulation for the Mousepots so I don't need that one answered.

New question....transportation of it--how? Dewars are wicked expensive, would a styrofoam cooler be enough? Any other cheap way to carry it? (I'll only be walking 3 blocks with it to my dorm--doesn't need to be long term storage)

Oh, one last question....how do I handle it? Would an oven mitt be good enough?

Xtreme Addict
    Would methyl hydrate be good? It says it is 99.9% pure but I don't know if that means pure alcohol. I have a jug I use for cleaning off as5 and such, all I know is it isn't too nice on the hands. :O
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you need to handle it with gloves if not you'll burn when you touch it.

carry it on a coolerman's kinda cooler (http://www.avidoutdoors.com/colhiphug6so.html) but you must use it soon you loose it fast, also do it on a ventilated place, the vapor is quite toxic

Ebay Hater
    Oh yes, it burns hands quite nicely
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Aussie God
    ehm...

I've hold a few pelts in my hand and let'en them turn into air....
    You wont get burned much, unless you touch it for a veeery long time... I actually think its possible - with a bit speeding, to poor the stuff into tube with hands...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier
    ehm...

I've hold a few pelts in my hand and let'en them turn into air....
    You wont get burned much, unless you touch it for a veeery long time... I actually think its possible - with a bit speeding, to poor the stuff into tube with hands...
    I don't think that's a very good idea. I don't know what quality(depending where you get it it can have quite a bit of water in it) and size of pellets you were working with, but if you hold a piece of good dry ice in your hand it will freeze to your skin and give you serious burns. You can touch it quickly, and maybe drop a piece into the tube really fast, but I would advise using a glove of some kind. It doesn't need to be an oven mitt, just an insulator to seperate your skin from the DICE.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by WASD
    I don't think that's a very good idea. I don't know what quality(depending where you get it it can have quite a bit of water in it) and size of pellets you were working with, but if you hold a piece of good dry ice in your hand it will freeze to your skin and give you serious burns. You can touch it quickly, and maybe drop a piece into the tube really fast, but I would advise using a glove of some kind. It doesn't need to be an oven mitt, just an insulator to seperate your skin from the DICE.
    Its not that cold... :\
    The size that I held in my hand 'till it "melted" into air, it was a very little pellet... Last time I used big pellets since Air Liquide was out of the small ones - Anyhow, those, hell no - But still, I made a little prank with the stuff before benchin' - water+dice+glass and a dice bomb as well... No problem doin' that with my hands... Though one thing was too cold... I wanted a thermosensor in button of the DICE box (26 liter box) - in order too move all the dice away from middle, that I couldnt do with my bare hands, I had too use my "Icemonkey grib" or whats that fancy name for the LN2 gloves I got..

But, DICE aint that cold.. Atleast not when you've skieing now and then
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Thanks for the help with all DI information. GREAT help for a NEWB such as myself

well to sove your question to the temps it should reach -109.3°F (-78.5°C)

Xtreme Member
    [quoteEthenol is supposedly the best, but I've never found Ethenol yet, so I never got to try it.

Ethanol gets very thick and sludgy at around -70, the best one i have found is called ICY-1-OL (not icypropol) this can go down to -120 degrees before it thickens

New to DICE myself but im getting there

By the way does anyone know where I can get DICE from in Yorkshire UK, (need it as close as possible to maximise sublime time )
    gilgamesh
    Last edited by gilgamesh1; 11-06-2007 at 02:04 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post

good luck
    Acetone is good, but the fumes..........phew Icy One OL is the best if you can get hold of it

gilgamesh

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh1 View Post
    Acetone is good, but the fumes..........phew Icy One OL is the best if you can get hold of it

gilgamesh
    The fumes are good. they remind you that you need good ventilation. If you don't get a good crossflow of air the co2 can be lethal.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    The fumes are good. they remind you that you need good ventilation. If you don't get a good crossflow of air the co2 can be lethal.
    lol ofcourse, thats why i have installed 2x 20cm fan in the cellar to push the C02 out of the window.

ICyonal is the best for me

gilgamesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast