Thread: ASUS A8V Deluxe Vmods

Xtreme Mentor

I am aware there are several threads about this board and its mods, but I am in the process of consolidating the many threads into a single point of information.

I will be this to many threads it appears, as I continue to see the same questions asked over and over again on the same components. I aim to post as many threads about mods I work on, and consolidate the many other threads and basically condense them into the actual important information versus making members read thru vast numbers of pages looking for the answers they seek.

This is the mods I performed for pkrew on his A8V board. I did them a little different from the other mods I perform as he has graciously decided to send me some items that are going to be very useful to me. I have done the mods so that he has the option to go back to straight stock if he decides to do so versus only having the option of using the installed VRs.

Onto the mods.

A8V Vdimm Mod:

There are several different posted methods for this mod, and I have choosen the method that I would have done if this were my board. You remove R422 and replace it with either a 5k or 10k VR set to 2.135K-ohms (gets to stock voltages).

Note that you do not have to remove R422 to do this mod. I had previously removed it working a one of the other methods for this mod and decided to leave it off. All you need to do is solder a 50K VR to pin #6 of the Vreg chip and GND.

You can see that I set the mod up so that he can use a jumper to go to stock or run modded.

A8V Vcore Mod:

For this mod you remove R167 (near the Vreg), and replace it with a 100-200ohm VR set to 20 ohms.

You can see that I also included a method for him to go to stock using the jumper.

Before anyone asks the question about why bother adding the jumper to get back to stock when adjusting the VR will allow the same result....the reason is simple, it keeps the user from having to constantly adjust the VRs. Lets say that you get to a voltage that you like to play with, but from time to time you want to run stock plain and simple...then a simple jumper change and all is good.

Now, if anyone can check these FETs and point me to the one reading Vdd we can work on that. If I dont get a response by tomorrow, I will have to go ahead and ship this out to pkrew so he can get his toy back.

Last edited by persivore; 08-17-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Those are absolutely beautiful mods my friend. Thanks for a great job.

Xtreme Mentor
    Incidently, this board does not require a Vtt mod as it tracks properly.

Tested up to 3.25v and Vtt was dead on 1.625v.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Addict
    Looks great, Hell-Fire, 3.25 vdimm, more than I expected

Xtreme Mentor
    I dont know if the OVP built into the board will limit that or not bud. I ran it that high, and it was still climbing, without a cpu mounted. Some boards will power up with high Vdimm but not post.

I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Mentor
    I need someone with this board to check something for me please.

Possible Vdd Mod:

Here is a blown up location of the possible mod site:

pkrew, I went ahead with the mod, but please leave it unplugged until we can confirm that it works. Sometimes it sucks to work on these boards without a cpu to test it with. Just unplug the fan header that the VR is connected to and the mod is effectively off.

Last edited by persivore; 08-17-2005 at 08:24 AM.

-100c Club Member
    Great work m8 !

.. too bad they are really difficult to do

.. guess ill have to stick with the 2.8v on vdimm

Isnt there an easier way to vmod the A8V ??

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by Blaster
    Great work m8 !

.. too bad they are really difficult to do

.. guess ill have to stick with the 2.8v on vdimm

Isnt there an easier way to vmod the A8V ??

Sure there is bud. It looks more complicated than it is honestly.

You can ignore that big circuit I have up there and do the mods this way:

Solder the middle leg of a 50K VR set to max to pin #6 of that IC that is under my circuit board. Solder the other leg of the VR to a ground source.

The Vcore mod is the same thing. It looks more complicated than it is. I just set it up so the owner could get back to bone stock if he wanted. You can remove the stock resistor and replace it with a 100-200 ohms VR preset to 20 ohms and you are good to go.

Thats it bud.

-100c Club Member
    Thanks Hell-fire

that I can do ... heheh

Any luck with removing the OVP m8?

I tried that toy from OCZ on my A8V v1.02 and past 2,97v the comp freezes, I believe its the OVP...

some ppl are saying they are reaching 3,15 with the vmod, ill try it tomorrow

man... If i was close to u I would donate a mboard for u to "play" with LOL

Last edited by Blaster; 08-17-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    LOL...I love toys to play with.

GL with the mod...I am sure you will do well.

Xtreme Addict
    I dont know if you got my PM, but the A8V you modded for me was DOA. Luckily, nothing else got fried. Maybe the vdd mod or someting. Let me know if you want it back to look it over

Xtreme Member
    without a cpu its easy to get for instance 3.50v on the A8V. No post above 3.15v though with cpu though.
    btw looks great.

EDIT: spelling
    Brian Hermansen...benching with Jacob Hansen
    3DMark01 42400 | Aquamark3 104762 | PiFast 34.58
    Running chilly1 cascade

Xtreme Addict
    pkrew
    set the vdimm back to stock via the resistor. it may post then
    it's never fast enough!

Xtreme Addict
    Hell-fire put a jumper on the mod to turn it off. I've tried it both ways, still no post. I'm sure the board is fried.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey pkrew.

Sure thing man. Send her back to me. I have been so swamped with school projects that I havent had much time to check the forums here lately.

Xtreme Addict
    No problem bud, thanks for responding. I'll send it back and let you look at it. If you can fix it great, if not things happen. Take your time with it when you get it. Get your other priorities worked out first.

Phil

Any updates on the VDD and VDimm mods? My BH-5 really needs more volts and I would like to try the VDD mod if anyone has got it working?

Just found this thread and would like to know if anyone had any success with the Vdd mod that was described above?

Quote Originally Posted by scragley
    Any updates on the VDD and VDimm mods? My BH-5 really needs more volts and I would like to try the VDD mod if anyone has got it working?
    3000+ Winchester CBBID 0504 APMW (9*260), TWINX1024-3200C2PT (2.5,3,3,6) at 212MHz, HS: Zalman 7000Cu, ASUS A8V Dlx 2.0, ATI9200, 160GB SATA (promise), Two 80GB IDE (via), DVD and CDROM drive, Thermaltake 420W

i need those pictures, please upload them i want to do mods

Xtreme Vmod mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Evert
    i need those pictures, please upload them i want to do mods
    Pictures should be working now

hmmm....

whats wrong now ?
    does the mods 4 vdd/vcore/vdimm work now or not.....because i want to buy this board next week...pls help me hell fire !!!

greetings wolfgang

Xtreme Member
    can someone corfirm if the vdimm mod works on the a8v rev.2.0? i did the vmod by soldering a VR to pin #6 of the vreg chip but over 2.850v my pc hangs or do not boot. im using a 25k pot wich at max resistance it gives 2.8v. my memory is samsung pc3200 tcc4.

thx for the help