Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the costs of ln2

What are the costs of ln2

Whats up lads, Ive been reading about Ln2 setups for a while and have been bitten by the bug, I'll have to put out some benches with it, I was just wondering how expensive it is? I don't even know if I can get some yet, Im in Ireland, did a couple of google searches couldnt find any sources yet

Any advice greatly appreciated
    VeeDuB.

Xtreme Addict
    easiest place , well at least for me cus i work there is at any hospital, they use ln for lots of things, remove warts...store cells( and sometimes sperm, like in one lab i volunteer for)
    the bill is 15.6 for 30 liters, so .52cents for 1 liter these are in U.S. dollars
    cheaper than soda!!
    oh..and u can get dry ice for free(if u ask around) or i could get some if u lived in tucson, but the labs don't always have them

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    'yer lucky!!! LN2 is $4USD per liter here!

C

Xtreme Mentor
    And me its 14CND per litre!!!

Xtreme Hardware Killer
    1.50 a liter.
    Level 80 UD Death Knight on Murmur (Beta)

thanks for the info...
    it can do!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how much does it cost the can? I think this is the most expensive part not the liquid.. Here in hellas i take ln2 for 3 euros per litre.

The can i found for 12lt costs 480 euros...

Xtreme Addict
    lol, yeah, i think so too..the cans are heavy as hell, although there is a small 3 liter bottle they have lying around bleh, im sure u can just use some dense styofoam box (ithink)

Xtreme Recruit
    I don't think dense styrofoam works...
    I am a chemist and we use LN2 (along with ethanol) almost daily for our -100 reactions. The containers you are looking for are called "dewar's" and as unseen said they are pretty expensive. You can however use a very good quality thermos (which is what we use to transfer small quantities of LN2 from the large 10Lt dewar to the thermos and then on to the reaction. Be advised that this will sooner or later break your thermos nomatter how good/expensive it is. We have found that thermos with "glass/mirror-ish" inside walls last longer than those with plastic insides but I stress this again : They will all break eventually. I had one of those mirrory thing break in my hands while I was pouring LN2 the other day. They go out with a bang! The inside was shattered but the outside held up! Very cool!
    Once I upgrade to A64 I might put my sig system through LN2
    I recently heard that maybe grounding is reguired through the serial ports to avoid superconducting phenomenae that might occur in the mobo at -50 Celsius. Any truth on that?
    "Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

Martin Luther King Jr.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    interesting info about the termos! thx for sharing

afaik the bios chip freaks out at too low temps, thats you gotta watch out for i think.

well and the cpus dont like too low temps, but its nt that easy to get THAT low temps anyways.

Xtreme Addict
    oh yeah...the drewar, lol, i just read that in my physics book..dang..i think i was referring to di for foam..bleh im clueless rite now

is dry ice more expensive thn liquid nitrogen
    because there r more N2 in the atmosphere compare to CO2
    but there are many carbon atoms in the world (anything organic.)
    motive, alternative, dilemma, obligatory

Windows XP System

CPU: AMD Tbird 1000Mhz (200 FSB) AXIA-K @ 1400 (10x140)
    Cooling: Tomshardware's Water Cool ($115)
    Motherboard: Shuttle AK31 Rev. 3.1, Direct X 8.0a,
    Memory: KingMax PC300 256MB Ram on DIMM 1
    PCI n AGP devices: Winfast GeForce 2 Pro 200/365 + Stars 700 thermal grease
    Creative SB Value on PCI 2
    Filand Realtek 8139 LAN Card (no WOL) PCI 3
    Disks: Triplex 12x DVD On Sec Mas
    Seagate 30Gb 7200 on Pri Mas
    Others: Nec Floppy
    Enermax 350W

Operation System: Microsoft?Windows XP RTM

Max. Overclock
    CPU: 1400Mhz
    Gfx: 240/401
    3D Mark 2001: 3901 (1024x768x16)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawainPanda
    ....52cents for 1 liter these are in U.S. dollars
    cheaper than soda!!
    heh,here its $0.30 per liter.And soda its not cheaper...but there's always the beer !!

sweet now i finally got to see what the inside of the tube looks like im gunna totally make one of these been wanting to for soooo long wanna try dry ice and then im gunna have my neighbor bring me home some LN2 from his work, he works for liqued air or airgas or what ever its called and this is my first post here yay and hawainpanda if i start getting into this ln2 cooling im coming down to tucsan to pick you up i live in gilbert

Xtreme Member
    Italy 0.80Cent of Euro per liter,so around 1$.but the dewar is so dam exspancive....
    The God Father OC.Team

Banned
    Here you can get Dewar flasks in the UK, quite expensive though.

Xtreme Member
    So what would this cost?

Dutch Specs
    The "budget" rig (had to go eco to buy a ridiculas expensive case so the rest is 2nd hand )
    E6600 // ebayd 2x1gb pc4200 D9DQW halfway on the board tricked // Asus P5B dlx // EVGA 8800GT 512MB SC// Silverstone Temjin TJ07S // Tagan TG480 // WD740GD // 2x Samsung 500Gb T166

Xtreme Member
    I would think phase-change would be less expensive lol

Xtreme Recruit
    Οk here's the deal....
    If you want to take LN2 and not to use it immediately, (excess of 8 hours) you have to go for a high quality container. The best you can take is cans that have a vacuum wall. heat transfer is minimal in a vacuum (actually it's zero, but you can guess that the vacuum achieved in the wall is never that good to assure zero heat transfer). So after that you need to tackle the issue of N2 evaporating and taking air form. It has to be released somehow because otherwise it would create tremendous pressure in the can. So the extremely high quality containers have a closed cirquit with an exhaust valve that takes the air nitrogen, takes it through some traps and loops and manages to re-liquidize it and add it in the can again thus managing close-to-zero LN2 loss.
    Last edited by SLN; 01-24-2005 at 03:03 AM.
    "Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."

Martin Luther King Jr.

if you are a student at my university you can take what you need for free...same with dry ice...

Xtreme Member
    And where would this university be located?

Xtreme Member
    lol
    Xtreme!

Xtreme Enthusiast

¿
    Outside of the inside track that some people have, where can this stuff be had in the US, and do they rent dewars?

¿
    Well I found some locally.

http://www.praxair.com/

They said LN2 is not controlled, anyone can buy it. The only restriction is having a DOT approved dewar for transport.

About $3.75 per Litre.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast