Thread: What do you do for ventilation when running dry ice?

What do you do for ventilation when running dry ice?

I'm curious what ventilation precautions you guys take when running dry ice. To date I've always done my runs outdoors since it's generally pleasant and guaranteed safe, but after my recent move into the city that has become less practical if I don't want to advertise to the neighborhood that I have expensive toys worth stealing.

I was doing some calculations for my indoor rooms and the concentration of CO2 after running a couple dozen pounds of DI would likely kill me (12%), so I'm going to have to crack a couple of windows and run a fan or something to force fresh air through the house. Ideally, concentrations would be kept at < 1% and for sure I don't want them passing 3%. For reference, 1 pound of solid CO2 (dry ice) sublimates into about 8-10 cubic feet of CO2 vapor. I don't know exactly how much since I can only find good density numbers at 0C and it will expand to fill a greater volume at room temperature (23-24C).

This brings me to the point of the thread. What do you folks do for ventilation when doing your own runs, assuming you do it indoors?
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

I am Xtreme
    I just have a window open it works fine

have never had any problems even though I have used 30kg dice on a weekend with dice on two gfx and cpu

Xtreme Member
    When I've benched with DIce, I used the kitchen/dining room table (more area to set up and not have things just thrown together) and had the overhead fan on and a couple windows opened. That seemed to work fine for 10kg.

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

Thermo Bear
    Just keep your window open and you'll be fine That's how I always do it.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
    Just keep your window open and you'll be fine That's how I always do it.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Aussie God
    Keep doors open in appartment, and just a window somewhere....
    If you start feeling sleepy and it isnt because you have been up for ages, or feel dissy, make sure to open a window ASAP, else, no worries...
    I have never had problems at home.... I have experienced issues when driving for 40 min, in a sedan or hatchback, with 20-40kg in boxes in the trunk... I opened window same sec and problem was solved.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Aussie God
    Keep doors open in appartment, and just a window somewhere....
    If you start feeling sleepy and it isnt because you have been up for ages, or feel dissy, make sure to open a window ASAP, else, no worries...
    I have never had problems at home.... I have experienced issues when driving for 40 min, in a sedan or hatchback, with 20-40kg in boxes in the trunk... I opened window same sec and problem was solved.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

I never took any "special" precautions.... I bench in my spare bedroom turned office/bench area and all I did was just leave the room open; there is no way that 20 Lbs of Dice will create enough CO2 to completely saturate an entire apartment to the point where it would be dangerous.... And then there is the fact that doors that lead to the outside world are not air-tight so gas can escape that way too.
    I can tell you that on my longest sessions (25 Lbs and about 10 hours of benching) I never even got light headed.
    AMD_1: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X4 955BE - 4GB Dominator GT 1800MHz/7-8-7 - HD 6950 - Venomous X Black + 260 CFM San Ace - VX450W - CM 690 II Advanced
    AMD_2: GA-MA790FXT-UD5P - Ph II X3 720BE - 4GB Dominator 1600MHz/6-7-6 - HD 5670 - IFX-14 + 260 CFM Nidec - TX850W V2 - DomaPCI Pro Bench
    Intel_1: P5Q-E - C2D E6300 / C2D E6400 / Pentium 4 630 / Pentium D 820 - 2GB Reapers 1150MHz (CL5-5-5) - HD 5670 - DICE