Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide: Power Supply Sense Wire Modding

Xtreme Member
    Here is mine (antec 480 true blue). Thanks for the guide Hellfire once more.
    I just have to recommend not to use 50ohm R and 10K VR on 3.3 but 10Ohm R and 1K VR for better accuracy and control (10K VR is to fast on turns when u go 3.5 and up and OVP may occur accidentally)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSU.jpg 
Views:	2277 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	18546  

Xtreme Member
    Im planing on doing this with my pc power and cooling 510 non deluxe.. Right now I maxed the stock pots for 12v and 3.3v.. The 5v one on the bottom seems to have like a glue on it and doesnt wana move so I dont wana force it.. But this is what im getting using a multi meter..

3.39v 12.33v 5.17v

My intensions are to be able to get the 3.3v rail higher cuz im getting a DFI UT this week and wana feed my bh5 good ( like who doesnt ).. Now Ive read your other thread Hellfire, that requires changing those pots.. Now to be honest im not capable of doing something like that.. My soldering skills are just not good enough.. So Ive decided to go this route.. I was thinking of only doing the 3.3v sense mod since my other rails seem ok..

The only thing im wondering in the pics you provided above .. Where you soldered the ground.. I cant get to that part on mine, It seems like Id have to take it all apart to get too it and I dont think I should..

Is it ok if I ground it to any black wire in the bundle of wires coming out of the psu ?

Ok then I have one kinda off topic question hope its ok..

I wana change the fan thats in it with another I have..

Could I just wire the replacement to the existing wires ?

The fan thats in there is a Nidec Beta SL 12v 0.22amp and the one I wana replace it with is a Mechatronics 12v 0.48amp..

Thanks alot for any advice you can offer

THunDA

Wow, thats great! I love it and will try it out ASAP on my new Enermax Noisetaker 475W. Thanks!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by THunDA
    Ok then I have one kinda off topic question hope its ok..

I wana change the fan thats in it with another I have..

Could I just wire the replacement to the existing wires ?

The fan thats in there is a Nidec Beta SL 12v 0.22amp and the one I wana replace it with is a Mechatronics 12v 0.48amp..

Thanks alot for any advice you can offer

THunDA
    I'm using the same fan in my 510 Deluxe. No you can't use the existing wires feeding it, they don't send enough juice. I just ran the fan wires through one of the fan's mounting holes, then back into the puter case, and spliced on a molex. Works great, you'll get MUCH better airflow, but you just have to be a little more careful if you pull the PSU again. I always leave the side off my case, but if you run the new molex through a PCI slot, it should be easy enough to work with.
    Last edited by spaceman; 11-01-2004 at 09:43 AM.
    "I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL" **I can't afford a sig, all my money's in hardware.**

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman
    I'm using the same fan in my 510 Deluxe. No you can't use the existing wires feeding it, they don't send enough juice. I just ran the fan wires through one of the fan's mounting holes, then back into the puter case, and spliced on a molex. Works great, you'll get MUCH better airflow, but you just have to be a little more careful if you pull the PSU again. I always leave the side off my case, but if you run the new molex through a PCI slot, it should be easy enough to work with.

So I can just leave the existing plug from the factory fan just unpluged in the psu ? .. and run wires from the fan out of the psu to a molex...

Thanks alot..

THunDA

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No prob. I just redid my 3.3v pot. I used old fan header wires, and thought crimping them to the legs of the vr would be fine. Once I did it right, by soldering them, my 3.3v rail gives me 3.93v now, with no load. Live & learn, I guess.
    "I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL" **I can't afford a sig, all my money's in hardware.**

I would like to know if any1 knows if I need the fixed resistor on my Enermax EG475AX-VE(G)! Any1 of you already succeeded in doing this mod on such an Enermax?

I only have a 1/4W 47ohm fixed resistor ... will this one work aswell (instead of a 1/2W 47ohm FR)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zaubara
    I would like to know if any1 knows if I need the fixed resistor on my Enermax EG475AX-VE(G)! Any1 of you already succeeded in doing this mod on such an Enermax?

I only have a 1/4W 47ohm fixed resistor ... will this one work aswell (instead of a 1/2W 47ohm FR)?

Thanks
    Yes, a 1/4w is fine. There's not much load going through that line anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by disco_bazoon
    Yes, a 1/4w is fine. There's not much load going through that line anyway.
    Thanks.

I just did the mod and ... well ... its a no-go. I have tried it with and without the fixed resistor ...
    Before the mod, my 3.3V rail was at 3.37V ... with the fixed resistor only, both resistors and the variable resistor only all give me the same results: no more than 3.43, no matter HOW low i set the VR!

I was thinking of opening the PSU and see if there are any potis already in there and the mod is therefore not working ... but thats what I found at extremeoverclocking.com:

Code:
    Inside the power supply we can see the Enermax quality in design, components, and assembly. Unfortunately there are not any pots for easy voltage adjustment, however that shouldn't be a buying decision for most people. Please note that opening your power supply will void your warranty (and you can possibly harm yourself), so don't do it!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help!

Xtreme Member
    I just modded my sense line for the 3.3v rail.. But the weirdest thing is happening.. When I power it on by jumping the green and a black wire it it comes on.. But when I try to read it with the multi all the voltages comes up like this.. -3.14 -12.17... They all have negative in front of them now.. I used a 10ohm fixed and a 1k VR..

Any ideas what I did wrong..? It looks all good and I followed the instructions good..

Thanks
    Thunda

edit..

Well.. I just dont have good luck with volt modding I guess..lol I undid everything except the fan I changed out and its the same way.. Ill put the stock fan back tomorrow and see if its better.. Otherwise I go by something with adjustable pots and burn this thing...

Nothing to do with your guide Hellfire its very good .. Im just too inexperienced to do sh1t like this I guess..
    Last edited by THunDA; 11-01-2004 at 10:17 PM.

You're getting that minus infront because you're using the negative probe on the positive wire
    The red probe (plus, or positive) on the orange wire for the 3.3, and the black (minus, or negative) one on any ground wire. That should remove the minus

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by disco_bazoon
    You're getting that minus infront because you're using the negative probe on the positive wire
    The red probe (plus, or positive) on the orange wire for the 3.3, and the black (minus, or negative) one on any ground wire. That should remove the minus

No way man.. I swear I had it right.. im not that dumb..

I will double check it tonight.. but im like 99% sure I didnt have it backwards..

Hm, well, that's the first cause that drops into my mind...
    What kind of ground point did you use for the mod? Which one did you use to measure? I don't see how you could do anything that converted the voltages to minus :S
    So my guess is that the readings got messed up somehow...
    Last edited by disco_bazoon; 11-02-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Be sure to "zero in" your DMM. When you first turn it on, hold the 2 contacts together until it reads "0", and it calibrates it somewhat.

Xtreme Member
    hmm.. lol.. maybe i am that dumb.. came home today and checked them.. all is good.. but I took the mod off last night..lol gona redo now..

edit..

YES !!!! man im so happy.. just redid it and its working perfect.. I only did the 3.3 rail so far.. But had it as high as 3.6 without a problem..

Gona to the others now..

edit#2.. lol

Ok I did the 5v one also.. didnt do the 12v since my psu doesnt have a sense for it.. But I have them set like this for now..

12v = 12.35v ( maxed stock pot )
    5v = 5.3v
    3.3v = 3.5v ( Had it as high as 3.6v without a problem )

Thanks for the help all..
    Last edited by THunDA; 11-02-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgv101
    I couldn't stand the poor timings on my RAM anymore so I've finally decided to mod my enermax EG475P-E's 3.3V line so I could hit above 3.1 Vdimm.

Well... the mod did not work for me
    I've tried it with and without the fixed resistor and made sure all the soldering was done properly but still, no matter how much I turned the pot the voltage wouldn't budge at all.

Maybe this PSU is special as I've also realized that there are no Vsense line for the 12 and 5V rails.
    ... same.
    I will retry the mod that afternoon, but I dont think it will work this time ...
    Do you have any ideas why this doesnt work? I am also not able to raise my VDIMM above 3.1volts, even though I'm using a modded BIOS that allows me 4.0V VDIMM!

-- EDIT --

As expected - a no-go.
    I can only adjust between 3.37V and 3.43V ... when i turn the VR fast, I notice a short increase to 3.50V and then it drops down again to 3.43V ...
    Looks like Enermax has included some kind of overvolt protection into the PSU? Is there any way to bypass it?
    Or do you think I simply did something wrong on my Enermax EG475AX-VE(G)?

Thanks =)
    Last edited by zaubara; 11-03-2004 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THunDA
    hmm.. lol.. maybe i am that dumb.. came home today and checked them.. all is good.. but I took the mod off last night..lol gona redo now..

edit..

YES !!!! man im so happy.. just redid it and its working perfect.. I only did the 3.3 rail so far.. But had it as high as 3.6 without a problem..

Gona to the others now..

edit#2.. lol

Ok I did the 5v one also.. didnt do the 12v since my psu doesnt have a sense for it.. But I have them set like this for now..

12v = 12.35v ( maxed stock pot )
    5v = 5.3v
    3.3v = 3.5v ( Had it as high as 3.6v without a problem )

Thanks for the help all..
    There you go mate. Knew you could do it!

Xtreme Mentor
    zaubara,

I have yet to come across a psu with built in OVP that kicks in at such low voltage.

I would retry the mod and make sure you are using a good ground point. Also check the VR you are using to make sure it is functioning. Those things are made hundreds at the time, could be faulty.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    zaubara,ive got an Enermax 475AxVe SFMA V2.0 with the 3.3 v moded.My 3.3 line its moded to 3.68v.OVP kicks @ 3.73v
    All u need to do its to cut the orange vsense line(teh thinner one) at 7-10cm above the atx connector. Then find the thinner black line and strip 1mm isolation from it,at the same distance from atx connector like the orange one.And solder a 10 kohms VR between the stripped point of the black line and to the upper part of the orange vsense line. The other end of the orange vsense line(who goes to atx connector) - just isolate it with care.
    Before u'll start the PSU,be sure to set the vr to the max resistance (@10k).

I hope it will be helpfull.

My problem its now how to deactivate the ovp circuit of this PSU and feed my 3500 L2 Mushy to > 3.7v .Maybe someone who already done it will help us.
    Last edited by sang; 11-11-2004 at 07:05 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am having a hard time finding the sense wires, on my psu all the wires seem the same thickness, and there are three for the 12v, I am not sure which one is the sense wire.
    Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can see the problem now, for the power supply in the photos, there is a thick and thin wire coming out of the 3.3v sense, 12v sense 5sense. My psu only got the thin wires, does this mean there is no sense. Is there any other way to mod "a universal mod" that works with any psu.
    Thanks

Xtreme Mentor
    Please post a pic of the wires.

Also, have you opened it up to see whats inside?

I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

I have a aspire 520W power supply and it has the ATX connector color coded like in the link below.

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

There are no vsense wires from what I can tell. How do you go about modding this? I opened it up and dont see any pots to adjust it internally. I did the direct 3.3 vdimm mod on my mobo and really need to bump the 3.3 up for my BH5. I think I may have the same thing going on that elec999 is asking about?

Xtreme Mentor
    Post a few pics of the inside and maybe we will get lucky.

There is as good as I can get with my junk camera lol.
    Cant see anything that looks like any pots to adjust.
    Let me know if you need any close ups for certain areas and I
    will see what I can do.

Last edited by moparacer; 11-22-2004 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add info

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast