Thread: Tec Psu?

Xtreme Mentor

Tec Psu?

I'm so very confused on what cooling solution I am going to finally end up with. I just want to be prepared so, as soon as I get the money I can spend it. What kind of PSU can handle a 226W and 172W TEC? Also can this PSU handle a 80W TEC?http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-48.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pimp looking unit
    It will power your 226watter only and nothing else (well, some fans, CCs and the like but do not hook it up as your rigs main PSU and power your TEC from it at the same time, will adversly efect your rig's stability and hamper any oc attempts and cn even blow up on you!)

you need PSU able to handle 19amps from 226watter, 6 amps by 172 watter (provided its @12 volts and we talking Umax=24v version) and aroung 6 amps for 80 watter depending on the model.

You need PSU to be rated around 38 amps at 12v line (you need 31 amps but it is not a good idea to run power supplies at 100% so 31 amps needs to be ~80% of rated current of our PSU).

If you can find one like this get it
    *hint*Enermax 465 series comes very close with 35 amps rating on its 12 line*hint*
    Stock is never good enough!

M E D U S A

Xtreme Member
    you may also want to verify that the psu maintains 12vvolts under a load or do a volt mod on it to adjust it so it maintainsd the constant 12v +

I got this sweet 5 channel psu the other day still waiting to pimp it.
    channels
    1) 24v 15amp
    2) 15v 15amp
    3) 15v 15amp
    4) 05v 05amp
    5) 05v 05amp

and all adjustable took one of the 15v channels all the way down to 12v and the 24v down to 17v dunno why but I stopped there its possible they go down more and up higher. I need to get an amp guage so I can see the amp change on them so I can determin how I'm going to use it. One thing for sure its a big haeavy mofo and if I can get away with using it for all my tec's I will
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4
    Intel Core I7 2600K
    2x Kingston Hyper X 240Gb's in Raid 0
    XFX 7950's in crossfire
    Custom Water Cooled
    Corsair AX850
    NZXT Switch 810

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice find S_I_N!

M E D U S A

Xtreme Mentor
    I think I found a PSU you were talking about take a look and tell me what you think.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-443&depa=0

I would only be running a 226W and 172W TEC on there. So in order to run these at only 80% of PSU usuage I would need 32A right?

My orignal question was wether or not the PSU that I gave the link to in the first post would be able to handle itself as a main PSU to a normal computer plus a 80W TEC.

Thanks guys, you guys are the greatest you guys should get medals of knowledge

Xtreme Member
    yes the 80 watter can run on the comps psu but not recommended but if enough amps are there it will work. Anything higher and I strongly recommend a dedicated psu. you can run a normal atx style psu for the tec as a second psu. But in my systems prior to tec's I found them to be short lived if other items were not run on them say you use only the 12v line and nothing on the 3.3 or 5v line then they seem to die quicker.
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4
    Intel Core I7 2600K
    2x Kingston Hyper X 240Gb's in Raid 0
    XFX 7950's in crossfire
    Custom Water Cooled
    Corsair AX850
    NZXT Switch 810

Xtreme Member
    PULSAR,
    Here's the estimated Amps you need @12V: 18.95A (226w pelt) + 5.51A (172w pelt) = 24.46A. Buying the ENERMAX 460W PSU, Model: EG465P-VE will be alright. Here's a good article to check out Article KB58 - Determining the power consumption of your TEC .

I = Imax / Vmax * V
    I = Current
    V = 12.0v Voltage being used by TEC
    226W pelt @ 12V Math: 24.0A/15.2V * 12V = [18.95A]
    172W pelt @ 12V Math: 11.3A/24.6V * 12V = [5.51A]
    80W pelt @ 12V Math: 08.0A/16.1V * 12V = [5.96A]
    Last edited by dward3; 04-23-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    KnightElite is one experienced ocer and modder who went through all the hoops in the business

Thanks dward3 for repeating what I said earlier

M E D U S A

Xtreme Mentor
    Would that psu I linked to in the first post be able to handle the 226W and 172W Tec all alone with nothing else hooked up to it, isn't the max 12 V amps on that psu 31 Amps?

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-48.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, it should be fine. To keep it healthy connect sth to red wire of one of the molexes (like 12v car bulb or a 120mm fan).

M E D U S A

Xtreme Mentor
    connect the sth??? to the red wire?

The reason people tend to get dedicated power supplies for tec use, is that computer power supplies aren't really very good for the job.

A large TEC is often pushing your power supply right to the limit, affecting system stability as has been mentioned before.

Equally, you shouldn't use one with 12V TECs alone. Some kind of load is needed on the 5V and 3V lines, like a resistor or a 12V filament lamp as mentioned before.

8-ball

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by =[PULSAR]=
    connect the sth??? to the red wire?
    Red wire in standard ATX molex supplies 5v voltage feed. Connecting an appliance to it by using such red wire and one of the two black ones balances PSUs voltage self-regulating circuitry. Verious things can be used to implement such a baalancing load. 3.3 v line load is only necessary if PSU has three separate physical rails, one for each voltage. Most PSUs share same power 'line' for 3.3 & 5v rails and therefore 5v load rai is sufficient for our purposes.
    8ball is right in respect of high percentage loadings of ATX PSUs (load should be kept at 85%MAX of rated PSU 12v line load for TEC powering - it is just a rule of thumb to keeps PSUs happy ).
    I used my PSU (see sig) at almost 100% load for more than 6 months almost alwyas 24/7 and it survived. Voltage supplied at molexes as measured by multimeter is perfect

M E D U S A

Xtreme Member
    whoa! if that psu defin works for the 226w and 172w tec, im definately getting it