Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: 3 new guides

Xtreme Member
    I think i might have those pictures on a usb memory stick, although its packed for movement to the new house and i don,t have acces to the storage where the boxes are

I will know it in 4 weeks since i will get my stuff back by then.
    Dell: Dude whats that smell, its my Dell burning like hell.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo van Dijk
    I think i might have those pictures on a usb memory stick, although its packed for movement to the new house and i don,t have acces to the storage where the boxes are

I will know it in 4 weeks since i will get my stuff back by then.
    If you do have all the pictures could you please upload them if you can ?

Xtreme Member
    Yes I will send them to lardarse, or mazbe upload them here as zip file with his permission.

But i can only find out if i still have them in 4 weeks. Maybe my dad has the usb memory stick I will ask him today.
    Dell: Dude whats that smell, its my Dell burning like hell.

Xtreme Addict
    Pictures are back up everyone !

Xtreme Member
    w00t!

Xtreme Member
    Wee Finally, that's nice

I printed out some of the articles a while back so I had black and white copies of the pics.

Edit: There's still some pics missing..
    Last edited by aasmaukr; 11-08-2006 at 11:13 AM.
    Asus P5K, C2D E8400, Ati HD4870, 2x2GB Mushkin PC-8500.

My R290 single-stager

Xtreme Addict
    Yea a couple of them arent working but theres enough to see whats happening .

HVAC/R student
    FINALLY! My god I've waited long for this. The pic's disappeared like one week after I saw them the first time. Haha, It's nice to see the guide again and see that I understand everything, and then thinking back to when I saw it the first time :P
    ...is no longer working as an assistant HVAC/R-installer...
    But, is still blasting 20000 songs of real Rap

Xtreme Member
    Does anyone have updated links by any chance?

I was gonna ask as well, but he beat me to it.

Xtreme Member
    I too have a hard time finding the source of all these links. Have searched the VR forums and guides and have come up with a big goose egg!!

Anyone have copies or the updated links plz??

Xtreme Mentor
    Just ask your questions again and people will answer....
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

Xtreme Addict
    It's a good point though.

I found all those guides a big help at time, though the real 'meat' came from following and studying build threads. Especially for Cascade work.

Getting the questions after someone's done some reading is a lot easier too.

Older guides gone, and no one's really taken on any new guides. Not for the basics anyway.

Maybe when I get a little more inventory as far as parts go I might do one up if no one else has by then.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    So how is it all the links in the OP list are unavailable?

Xtreme Addict
    They're just horribly horribly out of date, likely erased on server updates, etc.

Shame too, while they weren't all 'great' they could be a real help in getting started.

Problem is though, that putting together a 'guide' is a lot of work, can be seriously time consuming, and then there's the liability if someone follows it and gets hurt. Part of why people tend to shy away from it now.

I've gotten a few cheap 'parts' units lately though, so I may just make one for the basic phase unit. Can't really promise I will but if I do make one, I'd want it to be decent and that's almost like writing a book :p

Most of the guys making units now, they're pretty experience, most of us have been to school, and when we got into PC cooling, it was a pretty natural step and there were only a few 'tricks' that are more specific to direct cooling that needed to be learned.

Showing someone how to braze together a system is pretty easy. It's all the background that's not there that makes the difference between a safe working unit, and an ugly, dangerous, problematic one.

Though it's hard to blame someone for wanting a simplified guide. The HVAC books are pretty hard to follow when you're green, and can be a pretty boring read.

Even if I don't, I'm sure eventually someone will, but you're right. I can't seem to find any of the old PC phase guides anywhere. I'll keep looking though and post a link if I do.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mole View Post
    They're just horribly horribly out of date, likely erased on server updates, etc.

Shame too, while they weren't all 'great' they could be a real help in getting started.

Problem is though, that putting together a 'guide' is a lot of work, can be seriously time consuming, and then there's the liability if someone follows it and gets hurt. Part of why people tend to shy away from it now.

I've gotten a few cheap 'parts' units lately though, so I may just make one for the basic phase unit. Can't really promise I will but if I do make one, I'd want it to be decent and that's almost like writing a book :p

Most of the guys making units now, they're pretty experience, most of us have been to school, and when we got into PC cooling, it was a pretty natural step and there were only a few 'tricks' that are more specific to direct cooling that needed to be learned.

Showing someone how to braze together a system is pretty easy. It's all the background that's not there that makes the difference between a safe working unit, and an ugly, dangerous, problematic one.

Though it's hard to blame someone for wanting a simplified guide. The HVAC books are pretty hard to follow when you're green, and can be a pretty boring read.

Even if I don't, I'm sure eventually someone will, but you're right. I can't seem to find any of the old PC phase guides anywhere. I'll keep looking though and post a link if I do.

Gray

I'm fairly new to the forums, so Hi!

I used to have a vapochill XE many moons ago, which to be honest, I never really made good use of so I sold it on ebay a couple of years ago.

Since getting an i7 and twin GTX 480's and seeing a review if the Hailea 500 on Bit-tech I've started thinking about phase change, and specifically building a small water chiller to possibly fit in my HAF 932 at the bottom - where the PSU mounts.

I've not seen too much activity on phase change (this thread being an example of where I've found some signs of life).

Any ideas?

Xtreme Addict
    Had a look at the case and that's gonna be a real challenge to fit anything into that case. The V1000 was a challenge but this has even less room.

Definitely better off looking at a phase case under that if it's what you want to do. Even if you made it fit (and I doubt it will unless you integrate everything, and then you'd have to pull the phase to remove the motherboard) the heat from the compressor would be right at the board.

Chiller's are good though, and if you wanted to get really fancy you could buy a second case to match yours and either chop it into a phase case, or just 'stack' the cases and build the phase into the bottom one.

V2000's and 210's (I think the 210 was the second release?) were great for space, but having seen much else that's really suitable. Compressors generally are at least 6" tall, even small ones. Horizontal rotaries are lower, but noisy, and still taller than a psu.

Personally, since it's a chiller, I'd think about a separate case for a chiller, stick it on the floor out of the way, and run waterlines to your case. Insulated if it's to be a low temp chiller.

Air evap horizontal into a water bucket. Works great though if you bust a line, it's done. Gloves, goggles and common sense are mandatory.

The square Danby's are particulary easy for this kind of mod, and buying used they're cheap this time of year.

Maybe next time I get a suitable one I'll post pics of how that's done, but they're 5000+ btu so easily capable of a chiller mod, and if you relocate the sensors into the return line, you can use the controller to set temp down to around 15c.

At least then you can stick the 'unit' into a different room and run lines, and still have a nice case.

Gray
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456