Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast

Thread: -150C Supercooler build....

Xtreme Member
    Take some courses and become HVAC certified. I'm not sure what the certifications are or what they entail though. Check your local community college, they always got stuff like that. Your best bet would be to hit up a trade school though.

Abit IC7-G MAXII MoBo
    Intel P4 Prescott 3.2
    1GB Corsair XMS DDR550 (OCZ DDR Booster? Might use it)
    eVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3
    LeadTek 2000XP TV/FM Radio Tuner w/ Remote Control
    Sony CDRW/DVDRW 16x Dual Layer
    OCZ 520 Watt ModStream Modular PSU
    DD TDX Waterblock, Aqua Xtreme 50Z Pump,
    Switech MCR320

Mental ward, solitary confinement cell 7201
    lolk thanks...dumb questions have to be asked lol...
    ill start there..but since im 15 i think i might have to go through high skool first...

but anyways...on topic.. helium has a boiling point of...i think 4 kelvin if that would be fun to play with...i have no idea how good ited be in a phase change system tho lol.
    |Sempron 2800+ @ 2.4ghz (still goin up) | 512mb cheapo ram | X1300pro (havent started on it yet) | a crappy 754 nF4 winfast mobo | Seagate 7200.9 250gb hdd | My pride and Joy, Samsung SyncMaster 1100 plus CRT POWER!|

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound
    OMG sick project... plz some piccies soon *begs*
    [way off topic/] say how would i get into a carieer of refridgerating systems ect and stuff? [way off topic/]
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...864145-9503065

Is a very good place to start if you want to learn on your own. Depending on where you live, you can go to a trade school to learn to be an hvac technician. Most colleges with engineering programs offer hvac courses as well. I've been going through the book slowly when I have free time (and spare brain cpu cycles) and havent been let down yet. I got the textbook, workbook and cdrom for like $50 on half.com. If you were to enroll in a college hvac/r course, there would be a very good chance that these would be your textbooks. I haven't been disappointed so far, although I'm only into chapter 4 or so

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound
    lolk thanks...dumb questions have to be asked lol...
    ill start there..but since im 15 i think i might have to go through high skool first...

but anyways...on topic.. helium has a boiling point of...i think 4 kelvin if that would be fun to play with...i have no idea how good ited be in a phase change system tho lol.

Think you have a ways to go You should look up what is involved in getting something 4 degrees away from absolute zero.

Xtreme Member
    damn men!see this beast http://www.sanyo-biomedical.com/indexconserveren.html (click on -152°C) what gas would this use?anyone knows its cost?

Xtreme Member
    Thats probably for a passive heatload and no good for our applications without serious modification.. Thats a monster tho!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gloatlizard
    damn men!see this beast http://www.sanyo-biomedical.com/indexconserveren.html (click on -152°C) what gas would this use?anyone knows its cost?
    not to mention it'd run you some SERIOUS money.. we're talking like, hospital and lab-grade stuff right there

Xtreme Member
    CaptainCascade could give you an idea about that type of equipment. I think his pop's company specializes in super-subzero chiller/fridge sales and service. I think they're called Los Angeles Cascade.

ln2nl
    looking foward to see some changes... hope you make a hell of a machine
    *EDITed by IFMU*
    Signature Removed by XS Staff for not following XS Policies

Forum Policies

c[_]
    wonder if solid propane combusts?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    soild propane would make great easy lite fire place logs, You can find them in cryo freezer section in your supermarket

Xtreme Member
    well done mate!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any updates?

Mental ward, solitary confinement cell 7201
    Think you have a ways to go You should look up what is involved in getting something 4 degrees away from absolute zero.
    well i gotta start somewhere...might as well be ahead of everybody else
    |Sempron 2800+ @ 2.4ghz (still goin up) | 512mb cheapo ram | X1300pro (havent started on it yet) | a crappy 754 nF4 winfast mobo | Seagate 7200.9 250gb hdd | My pride and Joy, Samsung SyncMaster 1100 plus CRT POWER!|

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chilly1
    The Third stage/Fourth stage gas is a blend I am going to start with R290 and R14 teh mineral oil I will put int eh compressor is not misicible with R14 but is with R290 so I am hoping this will help the oil logging issue.

Why don't you use POE oil with R14 ?
    none

Xtreme Member
    actually he wants to avoid having the R14 carrying the oil. so if R14 and mineral oil dont mix up well, thats good. you put an oil separator/phase sep and you can remove most of the oil+r290 without much trouble.

Xtreme Member
    I checked some days ago on Airliquide datas website ( http://www.airliquide.com/en/busines...D=61&UNNumber= ) what oil has to be used with R14.

Hydrocarbon based lubricant : Non recommended, significant loss of mass by extraction or chemical reaction.
    Fluorocarbon based lubricant : Satisfactory
    none

HVAC/R Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by zytrahus
    I checked some days ago on Airliquide datas website ( http://www.airliquide.com/en/busines...D=61&UNNumber= ) what oil has to be used with R14.
    Thanks I looked that up too.. I have to find a better alternative.. Looks like there is some chemical reaction with hydrocarbon based oils.. So it wil need to be either Alkylbenzene of POE I will need dto do a little more searching..
    I would like to use an oil that will not carry in R14 it would make life easier.

Chilly you wrote somewhere in this post that you were gonna use 507/1150 in the first stage.. Would my LS be able to cope with a little 1150? and would it do a significant difference u think?
    Where can i find a nice girl who's last name isn't .jpg??

Xtreme Member
    Universe #1 --> Earth --> Europe --> Austria --> 120km NW of Vienna :D
    Any updates?
    Would like to see -150°C loaded!
    .... and I think anybody else would like to see that too!

HVAC/R Engineer
    Working on the 7 rebuild problem is the R50 (Methane) has too little capacity by itself... WE have some new gasses inbound for the mid stages ...

Xtreme Member
    You never cease to amaze me chilly. Keep us updated.

HVAC/R Engineer
    Build for this starts when I have concluded the final testing on the autocascade sets I am building now.

you havent given up on the -175c target have you???

Xtreme Member
    just subscribing =)
    I had the fastest 32M Opteron time for about 1/2 day, and I'm damn proud of it

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast