Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to cure disease for team 36362?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Welcome all nice to see some new blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

INTEL Q6600 L737B075 400@x9 1.385v--Abit IP35 pro--4 gb Gskill 4-4-4-12 -Ati 6870-Dell 2407fp @1920x1200

Xtreme Cruncher
    Bump! No one likes F@H anymore?

Here to help
    On the contrary Twiggy we are flying at the minute

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...php?s=&t=36362

Thats the overtake stats so every team in green we are out producing, click through the pages from that page to page 2. Its just a matter of time before we are in the top 200. We are out producing every else. More members will put us in the top 100 and our aim should be to put the team where the old one was and beyond

Look how many cpus we have added in 2 months:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=36362

Thats quite impressive. When we get in the top 1000, thats only days away, we will then get better individual stats with overtake and production figures for all the members, thats when we will really take off

Regards

John.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

I reckon i may be able to pull together another 3 or 4 cpu's to fold with

so i will have a total of about 10 cpu's - im just chatting to the boss at work to see if i can use the clients computers to fold with - hopefully he will say yes and that will be another 200+ cpu's

Sala
    Prommie Mach 2
    Intel P4 3.0C
    MSI 875P Neo FIS2R
    TwinMOS 3700
    ATI Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro <--SUX
    Adaptec 2110S SCSI U160 Raid Card
    2 x Seagate Cheetah 15K 36.6GB Raid 0

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Once D2OL reaches their goal of #1, I think u may get a bunch of new folders.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've been folding for 36362 few weeks, but here in Finland is now exceptionally hot weather that sometimes I've been forced to shutdown couple of pcs. IMO F@H is more usefull than for example D2OL, but that's just me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pythagoras
    Please post if you wish to use your spare cpu cycles to help find a cure for diseases.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

xtremesystems.org has a new team and a new start. Team number is 36362.

regards

John.

Fold on!
    Sorry already folding for 12912...:P

Quote Originally Posted by wwwww
    Sorry already folding for 12912...:P
    Why would you quote all that text and then add "I ain't gonna" ? At least make a joke and amuse us.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twiggy
    Bump! No one likes F@H anymore?
    No offence but maybe people dont think curing a disease is worth killing the planet by having computers running when they dont need to be . If nothing bad would happen, I am sure everyone would help.

Here to help
    You dont need to run computers when you dont need too! Folding at home is designed to run in the background when your computer is on and not being used to its fullest. Surely its better to burn co2 whilst trying to find a cure and browsing the internet than burn the same amount of co2 just browsing the internet?

Regards

John.

"Thermodynamics is a funny subject. The first time you go through it, you don't understand it at all. The second time you go through it, you think you understand it, except for one or two points. The third time you go through it, you know you don't understand it, but by that time you are so used to that subject, it doesn't bother you anymore".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00p
    I've been forced to shutdown couple of pcs.
    Hmm, This is only a quote from this thread. Most people have 'folding farms' where computers are run just for folding. I am sure even you have more than one computer turned on just to fold...and not being used by anyone. Sure it can be ran in the background but it will be using alot more watts under full load. This may only be a little amount but when you are talking 200+ PC's at work (Like the guy above says in this very thread), It really makes a difference and as I said most people just have computers running needlessly just to fold.

You have a good idea for helping people, but if cancer was cured then you can bet the antidote would cost hundreds of dollars, just because if the person did not buy it then the consequences would be grave or very bad.

Members of my family have died of cancer, but killing the planet is not a good way of 'trying' to cure it and others.

Here to help
    Its not all or nothing though is it? Some people choose to leave their pcs on to fold, some people choose to wach television for hours a day and drive cars for distances that dont need them and buy cars that are much bigger than they need. We can all point out excesses. Do you use your pc solely for work purposes or do you game or overclock?

The main point is its your chose wether you choose to fold at 10% load when the pc is on or build a farm thats on 24/7.

If you dont want to fold thats fine.

Regards

John.

Xtreme Member
    Of course people use appliances for their entertainment, everybody watches TV no matter how little. On the other hand very few people leave appliances on 24/7 or through the day when they dont need to or when they are not using them. Do I leave my computer on all day while I am not using it, no of course I dont. The electricity cost would be high, the energy I was using would be very high.

You try and make everyone seem bad for using appliances for entertainment, appliances they use. Keeping things turned on, or many computers turned on when they dont need to be is a waste. Things like this was discussed at the G8 meeting only last week. C'mon why keep computers running (say 610 watts full load for a pc&p power supply, compared to 510 watts under normal comditions). It is just creating waste and polution. checks and balances are the key. There is no use doing something good if it is doing something equally or more damaging in another way.

Yes I game and I used to fold. I will have a car when I am older, but I will not leave the engine running when I am not using it. Folding is a good idea, but thats all it is. I am sure if the person who came up with the idea of folding realised the effects it would have on polution, wildlife, PEOPLES HEALTH, and the resources (in raw material terms and man hours) for thousands of people to fold. He/she would have kept it as just an idea. For all the ill effects caused and all the effort and tangible things used, there are much better ways of curing diease I am sure.

Here to help
    So how many cubic meters of co2 exit your dry ice tube on a run and for what reason? I'm not trying to make people feel bad if they dont fold. This thread is entitled who wants to fold for XS, not who wants to make us feel bad for folding

Regards

John.

Quote Originally Posted by pythagoras
    So how many cubic meters of co2 exit your dry ice tube on a run and for what reason? I'm not trying to make people feel bad if they dont fold. This thread is entitled who wants to fold for XS, not who wants to make us feel bad for folding

and my folding (groan) joke to make this addition somewhat useful:
    This man goes along to the Patent Office with some of his new designs.

He says to the clerk, "I'd like to register my new invention. It's a folding bottle."

"OK," says the clerk. "What do you call it?" "A fottle."

"A fottle?

That's a stupid name. Can you think of something else?"

"I can think about it. I've got something else though. It's a folding carton."

"And what do you call that?" asks the clerk.

"A farton."

"That's rude. You can't possibly call it that."

"In that case," says the man, "You're really going to hate the name of my folding bucket."
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    killing the planet is not a good way of 'trying' to cure it and others.
    OK, so you say that we are killing the planet while folding. Why I'm a bit amused. Well... if we would take that level of philosofical thinking to basis, we could also say that for exsample doctors are killing planet while they are driving to hospital (to really trying to cure cancer and so on...)

Peace and out

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00p
    OK, so you say that we are killing the planet while folding. Why I'm a bit amused. Well... if we would take that level of philosofical thinking to basis, we could also say that for exsample doctors are killing planet while they are driving to hospital (to really trying to cure cancer and so on...)

Peace and out
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB
    Of course people use appliances for their entertainment, everybody watches TV no matter how little. On the other hand very few people leave appliances on 24/7 or through the day when they dont need to or when they are not using them.
    Maybe read the post above before you comment

EDIT: Ugly and Grey, please dont spam

pythagoras: When using DI I am not creating more Co2 because DI 'IS' a solid form of carbon dioxide. It is taken form the air and once used is only given back. It is not like a average raw materiel like wood. BTW this thread is titles cure diease, thats what I didnt like about it in the first place. 'Dont fold dont cure dease'. Do you know a weeks worth of real lab testing is worth more than all the folding done so far? Folding is just used the save the labs money and time, why should they pay when you will. Maybe you will help cure a diease one day, maybe, but running computers like most people do, none stop (are you reading Scoop ), when not in use is not worth it.
    Last edited by JWB; 07-14-2005 at 02:39 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I think this topic has gone into woods... so be it.

Maybe, JWB, you have some calculations how much more we folders "kill the planet" with our 24/7 computer use, in the comparison to that doctor who is driving (could use masstransportation? A doctor in a buss ) an hour to that hospital to cure that patient. When/if that patient is cured, also ready for to be a polluter with so many ways available. If we go even further with this mad thinking... heck I could agree that we shouldn't help to find a cure for diseases, because any human alive/kept alive is a decrease to earth's health Is this what you wanted hear? Don't bother me again... I'm busy to fold Or perhaps you got some suggestions/better objects to be fold for?

I am sorry, it's just I'm so fixed with a sentence like: "folding is killing a planet" (and I am aware that we should shut up any time... we are at the wrong forum for this kind of debate ... well I had some english practice also which is a plus for me )

Xtreme Member
    Saving lives is totally different to folding. You think folding is the same as a doctor saving lives everyday!?

I am sorry this is JWB's brother in law, I am using his computer, maybe I should have used a new acount. I am a doctor (we use Di sometimes to save amutees limbs, biological samples and for drug shipm,ents etc) . Many of my friends in the profession I know saved many lives at St Mary's hospital, last week, so dont you dare tell me that a doctor going to work saving lives is unimportant! being a doctor or being someone who owns numerous computers folding are two different things. This is all I will say on the subject . Maybe one day you will wake up realise how important doctors are

Xtreme Cruncher
    JWS's brother in... yeah

This is sc00p's lab chimp and laughing my head off

In the woods... yeah Thanks m8

Sorry about being OT few times. I quit this discussion.

Peace and out

Go away JWB. Please.
    Thank You.

BOYCOTT MIR's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Please all decide for yourself.We all cant be doctors so help out how you can.
    I know I do my part.I have many programs I 'm involved in..some are to help people,some are to help the planet.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

On a side note:
    Do you know the difference between a Doctor and a Auto Tech ?

A Auto Tech has to fix his mistakes...a Doctor buries his

man I have allways wanted to say that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
    I'll just change my sig to "Fold for XS or I'll post nekkid pics of meself"

INTEL Q6600 L737B075 400@x9 1.385v--Abit IP35 pro--4 gb Gskill 4-4-4-12 -Ati 6870-Dell 2407fp @1920x1200

Xtreme Cruncher
    Nice way to kill a good hearted thread JWB....

Quote Originally Posted by twiggy
    Nice way to kill a good hearted thread JWB....
    Yep, someone peed in his cornflakes. I had a neighbour like that. Finally I went to the pet store and bought a 1000 crickets. I set the open box at his front door. You can bet some made it inside and chirped away all summer (I know they did). The next year I tied a dead salmon to the undercarriage of his car.... he was a real sweetheart....

In folding news I've added two more systems today to my units. A couple P4 3GHz fireservers that were sitting in the pile. I really wish this stuff ran on Unix so i could be of more help.

BOYCOTT MIR's

Here to help
    Well I'll be on vacation for the next week. A very good friend of mine has agreed to put a few machines on the team while I'm gone. If there are any problems in the forum just pm a moderator, they are aware I'll be away.

Regards

John.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast