Thread: New 2.8C SL6Z5

Question New 2.8C SL6Z5

Hello All.
    Im very green at OCing. I just upgraded my box.
    MSI Neo 2 865PE chipset
    P4 2.8C SL6Z5 m0
    1GB OCZ pc3700 gold rev. 2

I have the stock heatsink with a 80mm antec fan. I want to run it at 1000 fsb. When I put the ram @ 250 2.85voltage the system will not boot, it sits there for about 30sec then boots up with the settings at default. It will boot @ 246 just not stable. I have even turned the timings to 3-3-3-8 to see if it will help, no luck.

I thinking its the mobo. I have updated the bios still same resaults.

I plan on going to H2o here in a month or two. What is a good air-heatsink to hold me over till the H2o?

Thank You for any feedback.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    SLK947 or SP97U.
    The Zalman one is very good too (CNPS7000A -Cu3200), copper version.

Welcome to the sickness.

Xtreme Addict
    That would be a thermalright sp-94 or a 947u for the Intel systems. Have you tried setting the memory ratio to 5/4 and have you tried to increase the vcore?

Xtreme Mentor
    try 5:4 ratio too see if it is about ram or cpu

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme Addict
    Get an Asus P4P800 mobo, it's awesome. I love the turbo feature. It's automatically lowers timings and overclocks the ram if enabled. This board is beautiful. It's dirt cheap too. I got the one without the extra raid features. This mobo comes with sound storm onboard sound and gigabyte Lan ethernet onboard. I really don't here good things from anything that is from MSI. i use to own an MSI FX 5600 which couldn't o/c more than 25mhz, and it rebooted after each game.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

I agree, 5:4 would be your best bet. I would think it could definitely do 250 5:4 at 2.8 volts.

P4P800 is a good board, but as far as I know soundstorm is an nforce2 only thing.
    where is poogle?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Have you tried increasing the VCore a little?

Thanks for the welcome

I have changed the vcore to 1.6. I was told by someone that the cpu I have will not need to go higher than that.

The only thing about ratio in the bios is CPU ratio setting(something like that). It is set to locked. I can't change it.

I also have a compusa 300w power supply. Does this have any affect on overclocking?

I was going to get a new mobo (Asus P4C800-E) but was told that my MSI would be able to run 1000 fsb.

Again thnx for the feed back

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'd choose the P4C800-E above the MSI.
    300W might be a little low, perhaps wanna check your +5V, +12V and 3.3V lines, and see if they're steady enough.

Multiplier on a P4 is locked, so you can't change it.
    Don't know anything about the MSI board or BIOS, so I can't help you with that, sorry.

You are already aware of a large part of your problem... the stock Intel hsf won't cut-it for serious oc. Look around for a nice used hsf like the SP-94, SLK947, or CNPS7000A to get you by till you get your h2o setup going. Can't help you on that MSI mbd though.

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Jupiler
    SLK947 or SP97U.
    The Zalman one is very good too (CNPS7000A -Cu3200), copper version.
    The SP97U seems to be a great HS, providing you have good airflow. (I think, correct me if I'm wrong)
    The SLK947U is the best all-round choice imo, Papst fan on it and silence all around me

Welcome to the sickness.
    Whatever he said..... No really, WELCOME!!!

I have a few question about my CPU.
    What is the differance with the SL6Z5 with m0 stepping than other 2.8C cpu's?
    Is there any performance differance?
    Is there a link to some information on the differance?

I was told by a freind that if I was going to get a new cpu make sure its the SL6Z5 w/ m0 stepping. So I spent some time looking on the web for this cpu.

Also Im planning on getting one of the suggested thermalright hs. What is a good fan to pair this with?

EDIT:I read about peeps priming the cpu. What is this for? Is it like breaking it in before you really push it?
    Last edited by LAy3r_III; 03-31-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Prime is more a stability tester. If Prime runs fine during 24h, you can call your system stable.

A good 92mm fan should be fine (Panaflo, or the very Powerfull Tornado. Better get some earplugs, if you're going for that one, it's very loud.