Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xtreme Liquid

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Liquid

Alot of people ask what liquid is the best to use in their chillers, especially for -40 and below. Well I came across an article in Custom PC (UK Only). It was a review of an Amari T800-LQX with koolance cooling. The liquid it uses is called 3M Flurinert PF5080 and is a perdluracarbon which is used in super computers (The Cray T90 for one ($39million)). What is good about this liquid is that it freezes at -180C, yes celsius! An even better thing is that it is not electrically conductive and Custom PC actually got one of their old pc's and poured this stuff on it and it was still working with it on! They rebooted and check and it was fine

Armari is considering selling this stuff in 500ml bottles. But the bad thing is it will cost £54 (around $98 US, $128.6 Canadian)

The review is on page 32 to 33 ans is in issue 8.

I will try and find an internet link for you guys

EDIT:

Armari system link

http://www.armari.com/system.asp?SysID=173
    Last edited by JWB; 03-29-2004 at 11:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    JWB,

Most waterchilling guys that visit these forums regularly know about the Fluorinert line of coolants from 3M. Sure, the stuff rocks, but at a price pretty much no one is willing to pay. Waterchillers often contain several liters (or gallons) of coolant, and some types of fluorinert cost up to $3000 / L.

To speak for myself; I messed around with different common (mixed) coolants, and found that differences in thermal conductivity barely make any difference in real life. So I'm working with 100% concentrated windshield wiper fluid now. Goes down to -70°C, and doesn't create foam (no soapy additive).

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Miles_Teg

To speak for myself; I messed around with different common (mixed) coolants, and found that differences in thermal conductivity barely make any difference in real life.
    I'm not saying it will, but would windscreen wiper fluid damage your comp if it sprung a leak? or is that non conductive (electrically)?

Xtreme Member
    I just got off the phone with Rob at 3-M and the PF5050 is $14.80 a lb, reclaimed PF5050 can be had for $11 and some change a lb. You got to remember this stuff is heavy, so were looking at 11 lbs. a gallon so if you have a 3 gallon reservoir your looking at $522 for virgin PF. In the Southwest U.S. you can go direct to the source call 1-800-772-8179 ask for Rob and tell him Keeper sent you.
    Keeper's "Heatware"

Folding for nerdsforjesus.org

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE
    AM2 6000
    2X36 Gig Rators O/S
    2X250Gig Storage
    2X 2 Gig Corsair
    2X EVGA 7900 GTO

Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture which they cannot understand. The Scripture which troubles me most is the Scripture I do understand.

-- Mark Twain

Xtreme Member
    Cheers keeper but there is two slight snags, one I do not live in the US, two I do not have the $$$ Thanks anyway Is anti-freeze or ethonol (spelling?) electrically conductive, or will it be ok if some goes on my mobo for instance?

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    I don't recommend anti-freeze, you can get pure Methanol or Denatured alcohol at any paint shop, pure Ethanol can be found at a boat shop or drag-racing shops. Anti-freeze is way too thick when it gets cold.

I don't know the conductivity of these liquids, but do recommend an absolutely leak free setup. I have never had a drop escape any of my liquid setups.
    Last edited by Keeper; 03-29-2004 at 12:59 PM.
    Keeper's "Heatware"

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE
    AM2 6000
    2X36 Gig Rators O/S
    2X250Gig Storage
    2X 2 Gig Corsair
    2X EVGA 7900 GTO

Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture which they cannot understand. The Scripture which troubles me most is the Scripture I do understand.

-- Mark Twain

X.I.P.
    You got to remember this stuff is heavy, so were looking at 11 lbs. a gallon so if you have a 3 gallon reservoir your looking at $522 for virgin PF.
    My little compact chiller evaps may provide an answer. They hold ounces, not gallons.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 03-29-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Xtreme Member
    I heard they cool well Gary, So even with a evap that small with not so much liquid will cool alot better than a larger evap with more liquid (methonol for instance )? If so are you going to start to sell them?

EDIT: good idea about the fluorinert btw the would be cool (pun intended, lol)

EDIT again: Keeper which of the two do you use and what temp have yoy got it at?
    Last edited by JWB; 03-29-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I use Denatured Alcohol; my block maintains -20C + or - 1degree depending on weather, CPU -1C @3006MHz under load (folding).
    Keeper's "Heatware"

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE
    AM2 6000
    2X36 Gig Rators O/S
    2X250Gig Storage
    2X 2 Gig Corsair
    2X EVGA 7900 GTO

-- Mark Twain

Xtreme Member
    I cannot wait, this weekend I break up from college and then I'm gonna try and buy a 3000 a64 and I think a K8N-Pro and try and find a cooler and when I have time in the six weeks holidays buy it build it, which I could not quite get my head round what everything was until Gary added a link to refrigeration basics (thanks Gary ) and it seems quite simple now, apart from the tuning, but I will have to see about that.

Yeah Keeper real good temps -1 at 3GHz . I have been in the minuses before but that involved sitting next to my wide open window at night and chilling my self too, lol. It got me -5 board and -3 cpu though ( Ileft it off for two hours next to the window and then turned it on) .

X.I.P.
    I heard they cool well Gary, So even with a evap that small with not so much liquid will cool alot better than a larger evap with more liquid (methonol for instance )? If so are you going to start to sell them?
    Hopefully soon. The problem is that I keep thinking of improvements. That can be a neverending thing... LOL

Xtreme Member
    lol, I know what you mean it happens alot on hardware, someone has something that is more than fast enough but want something faster just to bench with, it mad. so what is it down to now, or any improvements? or is it still erm what was it 5" x 5" x 1.25"? Oh yeah you have made a chiller to test it right that is at -51C (no load), have you flattend the cap tube or anything? Oh and one last thing lol, was that temp with a better outer jacket?

X.I.P.
    Actually that temp was with the first version of the chiller evap. It's huge by comparison, 10" x 15" x 2". I'm debating whether or not to sell it as is, and then get a new window A/C for testing each new version of the chiller evap. What do you think? That way I could make a few bucks while continuing the improvements.

Anyone want to buy a -51C window A/C chiller? PM me.

Flatten the cap tube? No, I replaced it, and converted it to R408A.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 03-29-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Xtreme Member
    How much would it be for, isn't that a really good temp as it is? I may want it but I really need a smaller one.

X.I.P.
    Yes, that's a very good temp. I'm not sure I trust shipping across the pond, and a window A/C is pretty heavy, too. I'm hoping someone local will buy it and drive over and pick it up.

Sooner or later I will build a mini-chiller. I've been thinking of ways to shrink everything. While everyone has been focussing on the big picture, I've been thinking small.

BTW, I don't think we are allowed to mention prices in here. Anyone interested should PM me.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 03-29-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Ok, it will be more fun making my own and will make me learn from my own mistakes too Yea I really want a smaller one so that I can use that stuff above. I just hope I pick a good chiller with long pipes that cools really well.

X.I.P.
    Shipping just the chiller evap would be no problem, then.

Xtreme Member
    lol, wont an evap be hard to connect? because if you sell them I will prob buy one, hopefully get good temps and with little liquid needed compared to normal evaps

X.I.P.
    No harder than any other evap to connect.

Xtreme Member
    So does that involve brazing? or is there a simpler way you can connect them? It would be an excuse to regas the system with something better too.

X.I.P.
    Brazing is best.

Originally posted by JWB
    I'm not saying it will, but would windscreen wiper fluid damage your comp if it sprung a leak? or is that non conductive (electrically)?
    It fried my A7N8X-D when I sprang a leak.
    On the other hand it gave mean an excuse to switch to a DFI LanParty NF2 Ultra B so it wasn't all bad. LOL
    DFI LP NF2 Ultra B
    AXP 2500+ (235*10)
    1GB Corsair TwinX 3200LL (1.1)
    ATI 9800 Pro (425/365)
    http://www.ftssystems.com/multicoolbath.htm
    MCW5000-A,MCW50-T,MCX159-A
    WD1200JB, Liteon DVD/CDRW
    21" CRT, etc..

Originally posted by Keeper
    I don't recommend anti-freeze, you can get pure Methanol or Denatured alcohol at any paint shop, pure Ethanol can be found at a boat shop or drag-racing shops. Anti-freeze is way too thick when it gets cold.

I don't know the conductivity of these liquids, but do recommend an absolutely leak free setup. I have never had a drop escape any of my liquid setups.
    The only problems with pure alcohols is the VERY low Flashpoint.
    If you normally leave your system running 24/7/365 even when unattended you may come home to find you don't have one LOL.

FYI - the compressor in your chiller will provide an excellent ignition source for the alcohol vapors!
    DFI LP NF2 Ultra B
    AXP 2500+ (235*10)
    1GB Corsair TwinX 3200LL (1.1)
    ATI 9800 Pro (425/365)
    http://www.ftssystems.com/multicoolbath.htm
    MCW5000-A,MCW50-T,MCX159-A
    WD1200JB, Liteon DVD/CDRW
    21" CRT, etc..

Originally posted by JWB
    Just ordered gallon of the stuff. We will see what happens :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is anyone using dynalene or the orange oil "d-Limonene" as heat transfer liquid in their chillers? If so, please share your likes and /or dislikes of the liquid you are using as well as the temps you are using it at.
    Lian-Li PC-75B, Asus P5WGD2 WS Pro (BIOS 502), Intel Q6600 G0@ 3.5GHz 1.50V, G.SKILL BHZ, 2048-6400C4,4:3@5-5-5-15-5,EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB, CC-644MHz / MC-1100MHz, HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1, Logitech z-5500 5.1, Enermax 660W SLI, Boot Drive - Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB, Two Storage & Backup HD's-WD 320GB SATAII inclosed in ICY Dock Hot swapable HD racks, NEC DVD +/-RW ND-3550A, Lite-on DVD ROM SHOD-16P, 52-in-1 cardreader, Deck Legend-Ice Keyboard, Back to my Logi MX500 @1000Hz

-monitor#1 Dell 2407WFP rev. A04, res. 1920x1200
    -monitor#2 TV Vizio GV42L, connected with 30' RapidRun cable, Audio - 30' S/PDIF, Belden/Canare cable-> Marantz AV9000 5.1-> 5X 600w ADCOM monoblocks, Veledyne SPL-1200 Sub, SpecResearch keyboard.

Custom Watercooled->CritiCool PowerPlant PCI Relay Card(modded)->Meanwell S150->Iwaki RD-30-> PA120.3 w/ shroud & Yate Loon D12SL-12 Fans, Nexus fan controller->Storm G5->MCW60

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast