View Poll Results: What are your thoughs on the Vapo LS?

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel sick!Was waiting for something new...not a mach 2 clone.Not going to buy one

93 40.97%
  • Would buy it for sure.I dont care if it looks the same as the Mach 2

134 59.03%
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vapochill LS...Mach 2 clone

Xtreme Relic
    Gary,

They changed that temp info on their website. They claim -38c to-40c evaporating temp now.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

X.I.P.
    I'm glad to hear that, Dude.

Author - Refrigeration Trouble Shooting Books

Want to learn more? Click Here

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    I'm glad to hear that, Dude.
    Yep.....me too:thumbsup:
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by charlie
    The Vapo stuff has always felt more "factory" and the Prom more "homebuilt". Before that was OK becasue the Prom was colder, but now if the LE is colder/cheaper/more advanced/cleaner and neater.... it's a win! BTW, though 4300 for a Prescott isn't very impressive, though.

C
    they should've tested it on another chip either AMD or P4C. Some Prescotts won't do 4Ghz even LN2 cooled. Of course we'll never know until someone from here puts his hands on it.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Ragnarok
    well u r a ****, the nventiv lian li kit is made in Taiwan by Lian li.. and none of the Vapo Li were ever commercial...
    Calm down... If that's true, LianLi will of course not bring Asetek to court for making them sell more cases.

Edit: BTW. I never said anything about VapoLi.
    Last edited by Kamerat; 03-09-2004 at 08:44 AM.
    Satan: Opteron 165 - TT Big Typhoon - DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR - OCZ EB PC3500 2x512MB - Asus Radeon X800 XT - Raptor 74GB x2 RAID0
    Slepbar (Lenovo 0761): Pentium M 735 (Celeron M 380 @ 2,13GHz) - DDR2 2x512MB - GMA 900
    3DMark2001: 40392 - Super PI: 23s

CCW
    Originally posted by Gary Lloyd
    BTW, does anyone think the wording of the poll is just a tad biased?
    Well, I do think what asetek are now doing is wrong. They are copying the Mach II basically despite their "hatred" towards a competitior. The company (asetek) is a shambles. They keep going from one low to another.

Banned
    How do company's become big and sucsessful though?? They follow and do what others have done before them and fix any mistakes in the design's and make it better and sometimes cheaper to steal the market..

This to us as consumers brings better products at cheaper prices..

Vapochill has done good here IMO if they copied one million designs or not.. They didn's steal patents right?

Xtreme Relic
    Can you imagine the crying that would be going on if it was the other way around?

2.4C killer
    I voted, and also voted this for most popular thread of the week ..., more then likely

Banned
    Can you imagine the crying that would be going on if it was the other way around?
    yeah true

Xtreme Member
    I don't know what I should think about it.....well at the one hand it really looks like a mach II but .......argh....I need more details!!

And paul007 mentioned: Competition is always good for us customers (although it's not always fair)

Support Metal!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    More info is need to convince me one way or the other, but it looks to me that it has a different mounting system, different evap, different compressor, different gas, the only thing that is really the same is the Lian-li kit (and to my mind thats just going after the popularity of those cases, and it means that the new vapochill unit can fit under any case currently sitting on a prommy)
    I really hope it has a low price, and gives more competition in the market.
    CCW, how are they copying the machII apart from the case design (which Nventiv copied off people who made their own vapo- and prommy-li's)?
    I agree that there probably would be a load of whining if it was the other way around, but if it gives me the performance the Gary Lloyd says it could do then i would be happy.

G

XIP - can sit on his hair
    OK... here goes nuthin...

1 - It ain't a copy. The AESTHETICS are a copy of the OPTIONAL LianLi Kit for the MkII. The fact that Asetek may have chosen to install a similar kit by default rather than it being an optional extra obviously works in both their's and LianLi's favor in terms of sales as there isn't the extra £100 to add on top of yer unit to make it match yer LianLi...

2 - You CAN'T copyright the guts. It is a refrigeration system with a compressor, evaporator, and heat exchanger. No matter how you did it you wouldn't be able to copyright it as the copyright holder is ultimately the guy that came up with the refrigeration concept in the first place.

Now, I'm not taking sides, but... Asetek should be shot for not coming up with their own AESTHETIC finish to the unit. That's just a blatant cop-out and an attempt to cash on in on another companies hard-earned established and almost traditional model. Altho, really, nVentiv would have benefitted from making the LianLi wrapper a stock option rather than an optional extra long ago. Don't care what legal crap has gone on between nVentiv and Asetek in the past, this is just getting petty and childish from Asetek's end to produce a clone that is clone enough to the point of raising this thread in the first place. They could have easily styled it on the original VapoChill styling or whatever without losing anything in terms of sales etc, and done the decent thing and made the Ali wrapper an optional extra.

I'm not prepared to speak on a performance level until I've owned one of these units, but purely from looking at it I'm not overly impressed with the tactics being employed.

This is my personal opinion, but is currently reflected by the lack of Asetek's products on our site anymore. I'm sure nVentiv has summat up it's sleeve to combat this release so we shall see what they're next move is... probably within the next few weeks...

Comments regarding Baker / Bowman's mounting concept etc are probably all valid, but it's all down to how baker/bowman feel about it. Some could see it as a tribute to them... especially if Asetek gave credit to them for the concept somewhere within the documentation for the unit, but at the end of the day no hold down device can ever be a revolutionary concept worth copyrighting or patenting. Copyrighting a circular peg in a square bracket is like copyrighting the wheel.

The only thing Asetek have done wrong here is there choice on how to present the unit to the public in terms of visual appearance... but for that alone, a line has been crossed in my book.

Looks good to me but the name "LS", or "Lightspeed" doesn't sound right.

They need something that sounds cold...Frostbite, Blizzard, Hailstorm...I dunno, use your imagination...
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    @Marci: Full ack to your post!

They would have done themselves a favor if they had made the unit look more different than the Mach II.

Btw: The asetek unit seems to be a little bit lowere than the Mach II.

Support Metal!

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by Marci
    OK... here goes nuthin...

1 - It ain't a copy. The AESTHETICS are a copy of the OPTIONAL LianLi Kit for the MkII. The fact that Asetek may have chosen to install a similar kit by default rather than it being an optional extra obviously works in both their's and LianLi's favor in terms of sales as there isn't the extra £100 to add on top of yer unit to make it match yer LianLi...

2 - You CAN'T copyright the guts. It is a refrigeration system with a compressor, evaporator, and heat exchanger. No matter how you did it you wouldn't be able to copyright it as the copyright holder is ultimately the guy that came up with the refrigeration concept in the first place.

Now, I'm not taking sides, but... Asetek should be shot for not coming up with their own AESTHETIC finish to the unit. That's just a blatant cop-out and an attempt to cash on in on another companies hard-earned established and almost traditional model. Altho, really, nVentiv would have benefitted from making the LianLi wrapper a stock option rather than an optional extra long ago. Don't care what legal crap has gone on between nVentiv and Asetek in the past, this is just getting petty and childish from Asetek's end to produce a clone that is clone enough to the point of raising this thread in the first place. They could have easily styled it on the original VapoChill styling or whatever without losing anything in terms of sales etc, and done the decent thing and made the Ali wrapper an optional extra.

I'm not prepared to speak on a performance level until I've owned one of these units, but purely from looking at it I'm not overly impressed with the tactics being employed.

This is my personal opinion, but is currently reflected by the lack of Asetek's products on our site anymore. I'm sure nVentiv has summat up it's sleeve to combat this release so we shall see what they're next move is... probably within the next few weeks...

Comments regarding Baker / Bowman's mounting concept etc are probably all valid, but it's all down to how baker/bowman feel about it. Some could see it as a tribute to them... especially if Asetek gave credit to them for the concept somewhere within the documentation for the unit, but at the end of the day no hold down device can ever be a revolutionary concept worth copyrighting or patenting. Copyrighting a circular peg in a square bracket is like copyrighting the wheel.

The only thing Asetek have done wrong here is there choice on how to present the unit to the public in terms of visual appearance... but for that alone, a line has been crossed in my book.

I have to say Marci has expressed my own feelings on this matter much better than I did....I couldn't agree more with every word he said! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Xtreme Addict
    If it's cheaper than a MachII and comes with the aluminum case standard, Im getting one!

The old vapochills sucked though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought that one of the main problems with the existing vapochill was that about 50% of people thought that the case looks awful and bulbous, and cited it as a reason for not goin for a vapochill. Therefore going for the aluminium option makes the case appeal to a greater range of people, and the lian-li design can be manufactured relatively easily (with the square plan holes on the front and side) and still give good ventilation to the compressor and rad.
    Asetek is tryin to sell its units to as many people as possible, surely if the aluminium design is the most popular then they should make that. Then to fit in with the lian-li cases they have to look the same if they are going to provide sufficient ventilation to the rad etc.
    If a company chooses to make a bottom cabinet in a lian-li style then there is only one way it can look from the front.

G

X.I.P.
    So, they both copied the LianLi styling. So what? What I think is petty is this thread.

What should happen next is Kryotech should jump into the game, too. Then there would be the big 3 instead of the big 2. Competition is a good thing.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 03-09-2004 at 10:40 AM.

X.I.P.
    And here's a prediction: We will think up amazing mods for the new Vapo.
    Last edited by Gary Lloyd; 03-09-2004 at 10:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I also think that's petty .

Well Asetek could have done a new custom case for the "Lightspeed" model but I'm sure that would dramatically increase the price, especially if it would be an aluminium case.

Support Metal!

2.4C killer
    Damn, this thread got to big way to fast. I missed parts probly , like is it official that it uses R404? Isnt it a Mach II with R404A? Whats the cost? Looks like it will be this much...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like the fact that the looks of the new vapo coppied the addon kit for the prommie. But, the fact is that alot of us do use lianli cases. There isn't much you can do to differentiate yourself from the prommie addon and still have it look good sitting under your lian li case. So while I don't like the fact that it is copied, I like that it would match my lian li case.

The main thing here I guess is performance and craftmanship. I have yet to own a phase chance system due to their price. But if the performance is good then hopefulyl the price of the machs whill go down.

I would like to see a mach III come out because of this, with stock lian li addon, and charged with the better gas. We'll just have to see what happens in the next few weeks.
    P4C 3.2ghz @ 4ghz w/ Vapo LS
    Mush Level2 3500 2-2-2-5-8 @ 250 1:1
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    ATI Retail 9800p 128 510/396
    Dual WD Raptor HD's on RAID
    3DMark01 - 24,090
    SiliconSauce.com

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its looks to me that Asetek is trying to win Nventiv users over by stating in the product description that it is compatible with the mach II's holes. Does anyone else find it interesting that they announce this product shortly after the whole temp dispute? Like it was planned, first to make Nventiv's products look bad then to release a new product.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Correct me is im wrong but wouldnt Nventiv have to change their compressor if the switch to a different gas, cos those R404 and R507 modded prommies do run quite hot.
    At least this should liven up the market for a bit
    One question interests me, if Nventiv change to an R404 compressor because of this, will it merit a thread saying "Mach III . . . Vapochill LS clone"?
    Another question is price, and Asetek havent even said a work about this new vapochill on their homepage yet.

G

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast