View Poll Results: What are your thoughs on the Vapo LS?

Voters
227. You may not vote on this poll
  • I feel sick!Was waiting for something new...not a mach 2 clone.Not going to buy one

93 40.97%
  • Would buy it for sure.I dont care if it looks the same as the Mach 2

134 59.03%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vapochill LS...Mach 2 clone

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Not being a wise-guy at all but why aren't people considering the Mach1 at $490 delivered from Kit-Tronics.com. Even at the $899 that FrozenCPU.com is offering the LS for, you can almost get a 2 for 1 deal for the Mach1(and you do get a 2 for 1 deal if you compare these to the Mach2).

Again, not trying to be a jerk but I still think the Mach1 is a great deal. Do people really need to see -48.3c at the evaporator?

BTW, Kit-Tronics also sells the Mach2 for $910 delivered in North America... which after you factor in taxes for the LS, the Mach2 is actually cheaper.

Red face

OT:

Whooa chill texuspete, it was ment as a totaly offtopic funny remark about player0's oftopic remark just over (I didn't quote it and because of my sloow typing someone snook between). About one of those "urban legends". Which I thought would shine thru by the use of this -->

[]But since you seem full prejudice and with lesser cognitive skills than me[/] this got way out of control. Sorry to hear that it got taken the wrong way Pm me for anything further on this.

But fact is there are some comments of taking one another to court, and who copied who in this thread. It's like who came first the hen or the egg.

And chances are if you invent or build something state of the art, chances are big that someone else have been there before you.

We (modern society) like to think we invented concrete, but the romans used concrete about 2 thousand years before us. We have just improved the technique a little.

Same goes to this topic, some people have been supercooling electronics since way back, then Kryotech and Asetek came along adapting the technique for consumer usage. Then Nventive came along and improved on some parts of the technique and now we have race between the only two existing in this field. Which hopefully will give us (consumers) gradual improvements in this field for some time to come.

And Nventive should have something on the steps, because the coming of something like the LS was inevitable. It had to come if Asetek were to continue selling phase change.

As for their likeness (mach's and ls) I see some good in it (not the lian li look but size, bolting holes etc.), this could be the beginning of an emerging standard for how commercial phasechange units should be made. I for one don't like buying a new case every time I feel like swapping to the competing brand.

As of now Asetek, atleast on paper, seem to have the edge. Somewhere down the road Nventive might take it back. Or someone else if some other actors step in the market.

To the two only bad parts in this:

The way Asetek went about borrowing design ideas from baker18 (not the round part they've done that for years but the internals), is highly questionable. At least ethichly. I don't know the details but I got the impression that he was never asked in advance.

Edit: And since bakers design is considered to be very good by the respected figures in the phasechange forum. This seems a good deal for us consumers. Unfortunatly it's a less of a good deal for baker.

The other was how they went about getting Nventive to adjust their "overly streched/false (pick one from personal preferences)" claims about cooling abilities. There is no doubt they had to do that from a marketing point of view. Since atleast on paper the ls would be the colder compared to mach2. That could have been handled alot smoother, the way it got done, in my view, was amaturelike and stoopidish.

Sorry about this and my earlier OT'ness.
    Last edited by Shep; 03-11-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Banned
    Jeff I talked to kit-tronics.com and their going to carry the LS too. They are going to sell the LS for $850~870 shipped to the U.S. as well so it will be a bit cheaper.

Well I dont actually think im going to get one anymore. If my mach2 does not sell im keeping it and will mod it to r507 and replace the fans. However if it does sell im in luck.

Spent a lot of time talking to captain cascade i guess you know what that means...

going to get a single evap custom system that will do -40C load. Of course this will KILL the mach2, LS, mach1, xe, pe, se, ect.

What do you guys think?

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    Hey Phyrox, did you happen to talk to Greer? He's a freakin' trip. You can tell he knows his stuff and has been in the business a while. Extremely nice guy in my book!

Banned
    Yup Greer is the only guy I talk to there. We talk for like 2hours easy and dont even realize it! Yes he does know alot..Has a technical background and hes been to denmark a few times to watch the nventiv manafactuing process Really knows alot. He seems to be a nventiv fanboy though Also he doesnt buy that our phasechange experts know much more than the in house engineers of asetek and nventiv...His arguement was that the CEO of asetek used to work for kyrotech...Hes a great guy though and I enjoy talking to him. Also he gives me hints on NDA stuff
    Last edited by Phyrox; 03-11-2004 at 04:26 PM.

Banned
    Sux that they took bakers design without asking...All they did was give him one LS. One ls is not enough...5 wouldnt be enough and I bet bakers pride was hurt too!

HVAC/R Engineer

OFF TOPIC

Last edited by chilly1; 03-11-2004 at 05:57 PM.

Xtreme Relic
    Actually, I think it was pretty decent that they did give Baker an LS. They could have easily gotten away with not giving him anything. There is probably a reason for trying to keep him happy that we don't know about.

Chilly, hell I don't even remember what the topic is anymore?
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

HVAC/R Engineer
    Did they take bakers Idea? I would like to see inside the block of the LS. I have patents on everything I have posted and provisionals on all my ideas. And I copywrite my drawings...

Xtreme Team D²OL
    Originally posted by chilly1
    Did they take bakers Idea? I would like to see inside the block of the LS. I have patents on everything I have posted and provisionals on all my ideas. And I copywrite my drawings...
    Originally posted by Support2/asetek
    Sorry guys, but this was thought out before the very beginning of Xtremesystems Of course we look in various forums - Xtremesystems is one of them. We see a lot of advice from customers and others, and if we find them useful, we of course adopt them to improve our quality and performance. If these ideas is intelectual property of others, we of course respect that.

Our new evaporator design is a hybrid between different ideas, and one of the designs we got inspired from was Bakers. We acknowledge that, and he will get a VapoChill LS for free at his doorstep. It's not a copy of his design, as we improved it, but we would like to credit him for his ideas.

3. Since the first entrance of Lian Li cases on the market, people have been building in their VapoChill unit. Furthermore the original idea of building a compressor into a Lian Li styled box under the PC was done by a case modder from Holland, for a system for CeBIT. When nVENTIV saw that, they "adopted" his idea. So there is really nothing new into this either.
    Took this straight off Vapo forums for anyone/everyone here who hasn't read it have a quick gig at it.

Seems to me they took baker18's design.

BTW, what's baker18 got to say about this?? Or did I miss something in these 11 or so pages...
    Cheers,
    Minh

Mine:3770k @ 4.6Ghz @1.25v, Corsair H80, Asus SabreTooth Z77, 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600C8, XFX 7870DD, Corsair HX850w, Sandisk 240GB Extreme SSD, Corsair Graphite 600T

Kids: 2500k @ 4.6Ghz @1.368v, TRUE120, 2 x 4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600C9, Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3, Gigabyte HD6870, Sandisk 240GB Extreme SSD, 850w Thermaltake 850w PSU, Antec P182 Case

Kids2: i3 3225, 2 x 4Gb Kingston HyperX 1600C9, ASUS P8Z68-M PRO, Sapphire HD4870 1GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD

Server: Core2Quad 9450, 2 x 2Gb Kingston HyperX 1066, 2 x 2Gb Corsair XMS1066, Gigabyte EP45-DS5, Corsair HX650w, OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD, WD 1TB Black, 2TB Seagate 5900rpm, 2TB Seagate 7200rpm

Xtreme Addict
    Shep -> Thanks for the apology but this makes me want to explain a little something:

Originally posted by Shep
    OT:
    []But since you seem full prejudice and with lesser cognitive skills than me[/]
    But when I said :

"I had to comment on this. The sorry state your cognitive systems are in... It's rediculous."

I was trying to make a point, all I did was change your own wording to reflect negatively on you, using your own quote:

"Sorry couldn't help commenting on this:.... The coffee spilling- and lady/dog/microwave- and other similar cases tells more about the sorry state the US legal systems is in. Those cases are ridiulous."

Know what I mean? I didnt mean anything negative. Just a point. I dont really use words like cognitive but I had to fit in something before systems having something to do with intelligence... lol.. Thanks for setting this right with me. Like I said a similar thing happenned recently and I was on my last nerve. Peace, love, and drunkeness

So no more OT, i'm satisfied. We should be able to work it out. If the mods had gotten to it we may still hate each other. They cant predict the morale of the peoples so I dont blame them, but I do hope these post stay as the way things 'can' go. This is OT, turned useful. I'm passionate BUT ALSO reasonable. At the end of the day OUR flags wave strong.

oh yeah... and who wants to sell some custom vapor solutions?

H-2-hoe- just isnt cutting it?
    Last edited by texuspete00; 03-12-2004 at 01:00 AM.

Since the Asetek forum keeps referring me to here, I've subscribed
    I've done a little of the research for Asetek (mainly on waterblocks, but I’ve also taken a look at the evaporation process). Could somebody (Bowman?) PM me what the exact dispute is about regarding the new evaporation head design of Asetek?

Xtreme Member
    Ah...hello wijdeveld

Support Metal!

Vorhees Vs Krueger

I found the link to Tom Versteeg's actual Lian Li Design which nventive were inspired by

http://home.wanadoo.nl/a.p.versteeg/...ometeia-Li.htm

The guy now works for Epox i think.

Do you guys know what asetek mean by "mass-produced" ?

Xtreme Addict
    I've the new cpu Kit for Socket 478, 754, 939 and 940

I love XS

Road to CompTIA A+ (601, 602) and Network+ (N10-003) Certifications

I want a Penryn 3.33G 12MB & quad sli Nvidia G92

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by wijdeveld
    Since the Asetek forum keeps referring me to here, I've subscribed
    I've done a little of the research for Asetek (mainly on waterblocks, but I’ve also taken a look at the evaporation process). Could somebody (Bowman?) PM me what the exact dispute is about regarding the new evaporation head design of Asetek?
    Welcome to Xtreme!

I don't think Bowman is the one to answer this for you as he has not made any comments publicly about this that I have seen.
    I think you will have to ask individual people who post about this.

I think the comments come from the fact that the two blocks seem to be very similar in design and function, combined with the fact that 2 members who posted to this forum under the names Zubzero and builderbob were traced back to originate from behind aseteks firewall. Builderbob was known to ask very technical R&D type questions of our leading experts here.

I know that asetek has had a round shaped 360 rotating design off and on several times during their different models, but asetek admitted on their own forum to using and "improving" on ideas gleaned from this forum. They are sending Baker a new LS machine because of this and I think thats a decent thing for asetek to do.

I'm not sure I would call this a "dispute".
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Xtreme Member
    I suppose this makes sense out of the Nventiv temp drama's. Asetek wanted to clear the air as the MachII still incorrectly beat there forth coming unit on paper.

The LS looks like a nice unit :thumbsup: and as has been mentioned, it is really baseing the unit on a practical setup where not much varation is possible. Not many liked the old Vapo cases and had been asking for years for stand alone units or factory fitted Lian li cases as an option, so they have only catered for the demand. All vapos since the socket classic have had 360 degree rotating heads so I don't see anything new there.

I find it really amusing how people complain and cry cheat when someone delivers on what they have been asking for. I really look forward to Bowman's comparison and new offerings in general.
    A64 3700+ @ 3105/258 1.85v VapoLS
    K8NNXP 12c bios K8Npro
    2 x 256 Twinx 3200LL 2-2-2-6 3.4v
    Albatron 6800GT VapoPE cooled

Originally posted by TheDude
    ... I'm not sure I would call this a "dispute".
    That's a relieve
    I won't turn it into one but I can't refrain from one 'thought blurb'.
    I know there are some real experts in here, so I won't bother with going into too much detail about the basics (you can do a check-up if you want: http://www.home.zonnet.nl/wijdeveld/cooling/part1.pdf )

As you all know, evaporation takes time. In a very simple scenario the evaporation takes place directly at the end of the capillar (after the pressure drop):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vapor.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	10026  

So, in an ideal scenario, residence time inside the evaporator chamber isn't important.

But now Asetek improves on the design and uses a bigger (220V) compressor and better suction line, meaning the residence time decreases and the amount of molecules inside the chamber also decreases (faster sucked away). This will decrease the vapor temperature readout on your display (always a nice gimmick ) but will decrease your heat adsorption capacity (and C/W ratio).

So, Asetek had to do something to increase the flow length. We've discussed the use of small fins with different inlet points (keeping the same flow):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vapor2.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	10027  
    Last edited by wijdeveld; 03-12-2004 at 06:59 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by QuadDamage
    LOL shoulda said "cooling" unit.
    LOL, what does 65 kg airmail from Denmark to you cost?

(Its the COOLING-unit not me, I am at 92 kg)
    Best OC Regards

Tom Holck
    Denmark
    The Homeland of nVentiv and Asetek

The fins didn't help much.

Since the goal is to increase the system friction (and therefore the molecule density) at the point were it most counts, the next logical step seems to be to use some kind of labyrinth design.

This way you increase the residence time, giving the liquid enough time to 'adept'; to the lower pressure and extract the evaporation energy from the copper chamber surface (and therefore CPU) and also increase the molecule count at the place it is most beneficial (increasing the total heat capacity of the vapor phase).

So, I don't know Bowman's design, but it seems logical to me Asetek had to improve on the chamber design (as discusses a year ago in the Vapochill forum).

I hope this clarify things a bit. I hope we can stop heating things up and start freezing again

Xtreme Member
    I hope this clarify things a bit. I hope we can stop heating things up and start freezing again

Support Metal!

Xtreme Relic
    wijdeveld,

Nice posts and charts too. Actually it's Baker's design, but he did have a lot of input from Bowman as I understand it.
    I hope you decide to stick around and continue to contribute to the forum.
    You seem to be someone who can make his point in a mature, logical way without becoming overly excited and emotional.

HVAC/R Engineer
    Originally posted by wijdeveld
    So, in an ideal scenario, residence time inside the evaporator chamber isn't important.

But now Asetek improves on the design and uses a bigger (220V) compressor and better suction line, meaning the residence time decreases and the amount of molecules inside the chamber also decreases (faster sucked away). This will decrease the vapor temperature readout on your display (always a nice gimmick ) but will decrease your heat adsorption capacity (and C/W ratio).

So, Asetek had to do something to increase the flow length. We've discussed the use of small fins with different inlet points (keeping the same flow):
    I looked through your logic and it appears that you try to treat a vapor as somthing different in your calculations other than a Fluid (which it is) If you import your capillary models from soil psysics the two phase multi fluidic model flow would better serve you in those calculations, I didn't and data on the heat conductivity from the die based on either fin cross section or surface area?
    As stated a maze design (Invented in the 1890's for ice production) is always a better option. I also noticed that the TD on the copper blocks were skewed for lower temperatures there appears to be better thermal transport at lower temperatures while the silver has better at higher temperatures? Were your values merly a calculated model or an actual psysical model?

Hi chilly1,

I've listed the model assumptions at the end of the article (chapter 6). Basically, I've translated the heat production of the die to a chemical system component (named 'heat') which travels as a conservative tracer through a soil system (the copper core) toward a liquid (being the real world vapor). I've translated the evaporation energy to a colder initial injection temperature and the heat capacity of the vapor was used instead of that of a liquid. By variation of the porosity of the 'solid' phase based on the heat capacity of copper, aluminum and silver, the different heat transport capacities for these metals were taken into account.

Much was done on assumption and calibration based on my Vapochill PE measurements since the model I used is developed for chemical pollutant transport in groundwater. It served it's purpose for evaluating differences in temperature in the CPU die with different cold plate materials, but it is limited with regard to incorporating capillary effects and reaction kinetics for evaporation (normally the model is run for 10.000 years, now for 10 seconds )

Afterwards, the model has been applied with much more detail to the Waterchill block, for which it is much more suited.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast