Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterchilling Questions

Xtreme Member

Waterchilling Questions

Hi, I would like to build myself a chiller, except I have a few questions that need to be answered before I start.

1. Would a good freezer chill the water to negative temperatures and keep it there even while my system is running? By good freezer I mean a small chest freezer with its evaporator in a res or just using it as the res itself.

2. What waterblocks can I use? Will the jet impingement blocks work with a chiller?

3. Must I use submersible pumps? I hear that non-submersed pumps get damaged when pumping liquids that are below 0.

Thanks.
    This signature does not exist.

<---I love that smiley

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1. A chest freezer's compressor is kind of small but I think it chould pulldown the water below 0C but i don't think it will go to far below under load. I would get an AC unit and build it like in the sticty chiller/ ac unit.

2. Any water block would work as long as its made of all coppper meaning no poly top(see through tops) sine poly topsd tend to crack below 0C

3. You don't have to use a submersible pump u can just use a normal pump and drop it in the res.

Xtreme Member
    An AC unit might be too expensive. A window one would cost about the same as 670 dollars for me. I will look for a second hand one. The chest freezer would just be a lot easier.

What mixture coolant should I use?

<---I love that smiley

Banned

Re: Waterchilling Questions

Originally posted by LoudHoward
    Hi, I would like to build myself a chiller, except I have a few questions that need to be answered before I start.

1. Would a good freezer chill the water to negative temperatures and keep it there even while my system is running? By good freezer I mean a small chest freezer with its evaporator in a res or just using it as the res itself.

2. What waterblocks can I use? Will the jet impingement blocks work with a chiller?

3. Must I use submersible pumps? I hear that non-submersed pumps get damaged when pumping liquids that are below 0.

Thanks.
    A good freezer would chill the coolant but most likely have trouble keeping it there ,the temps would rise over time under a load. If you can get the evap into a res you might have better luck.
    the problem with the pumps being non-submersed versus submersed is the expansion rate of the materials used to make the pump. If the pump is non-submersed the inside of the pump gets colder way faster than the exterior causing uneven expansion/contraction of the materials thus potential breaking /cracking. If it is submersed the entire pump contracts/expands at pretty much the same rate.
    For the record: I have used a danger den's lucite top Z block on my nb with my chiller at -25C for a couple months with no cracking/ leakage. It can work but I would avoid the risk if posible.

Banned
    An AC unit might be too expensive. A window one would cost about the same as 670 dollars for me. I will look for a second hand one. The chest freezer would just be a lot easier.

What mixture coolant should I use?
    I wish I could send ya an ac I can find them pretty much for free around here.
    If you do the freezer I would look into getting the evaps into a res. Probably a major hassle though. also if you go with the freezer I would not submerge the pump/s. You dont need them adding to your heat load and the temps probably wont be extreme enough to to cause any problems. use some form of alcohol for your coolant, methanol, ethanol, isopropyl ect..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where bouts do you get your a/c units jamaljaco? I can't find anything used for less than $80cdn.

Xtreme Member
    Ah what luck! I have the chance to get a single door fridge with a fridge and freezer compartment for free. It has a pretty big compressor with quite a small evaporator and a HUGE condensor. Should this do the job?

<---I love that smiley

Xtreme Member
    What thermal paste should I use for sub zero temperatures?

<---I love that smiley

What thermal paste should I use for sub zero temperatures?
    AS5 or Ceramique

This is of course just my opinion.
    Heat
    Gimme back my bullets.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question

Can anyone provide me a link on where to buy protective circuit board spray or PCB lacquer spray and a link for the sheats of neoprene here in America?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Last edited by Slickthellama; 03-08-2004 at 06:13 PM.
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks Slickthellama! I'm on it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no problem, welcome to the sickness.
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Banned
    Originally posted by iceman2g
    Where bouts do you get your a/c units jamaljaco? I can't find anything used for less than $80cdn.
    Well, I have a big mouth I talk a lot ,lol.
    I just ask around, scored 2 working units that way .I need a couple more and will probably end up getting them used for around 50 to 70 dallars U.S. at some pawn shop, Goodwill,or the like.

Banned
    Originally posted by OCme
    Can anyone provide me a link on where to buy protective circuit board spray or PCB lacquer spray and a link for the sheats of neoprene here in America?
    I used the danger den stuff. Later you can find cheeper ways.I havn't used the PCB spray .I just use dilectric grease ( cheeper at an automotive parts store than the danger den) I also use various other stuff. maybe this weekend I will do a photo shoot of some of the products I use and an explanation of thier function.

Banned
    Ah what luck! I have the chance to get a single door fridge with a fridge and freezer compartment for free. It has a pretty big compressor with quite a small evaporator and a HUGE condensor. Should this do the job?
    Got pics? we love pics. sounds good so far.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'll be testing a res in a freezer idea myself this weekend to see how badly the liquid gains temp over time when a load is added ( 80w Peltier ).

My system is the easiest it can be, a container in a freezer with tubes coming out of it, easiest but most ineffficient of course. How it does will be interesting.

Regards

Andy

Xtreme Member
    I intend to take the freezer evaporator and put it in a reservoir like people do with the A/C evaporator. This should do quite well I reckon.

I will post pictures over the weekend. I won't have it connected to my PC, but the chiller part will be up and running.

<---I love that smiley

Banned
    I intend to take the freezer evaporator and put it in a reservoir like people do with the A/C evaporator. This should do quite well I reckon.

I will post pictures over the weekend. I won't have it connected to my PC, but the chiller part will be up and running.
    Nice , looking forward to the test run .

Xtreme Member
    I can no longer get the fridge for free

Say hello to Mr. A/C!

<---I love that smiley

Banned
    I can no longer get the fridge for free

Say hello to Mr. A/C!
    Ah, much better . this will rock.

2.4C killer
    jamal, wheres a good place around here that sells used A/c's? nobody I know has an AC to gimme for cheap

Banned
    Originally posted by Peen
    jamal, wheres a good place around here that sells used A/c's? nobody I know has an AC to gimme for cheap
    I offered you my monster ac. To late now I just put it on my bench it's awaiting mass destruction. I would check out the pawnshops, goodwill and the like If nothing else do the Wallmart thing for about a hundred bucks.

I am Xtreme
    I got my 5.2k BTU from BJ's for 82 bucks
    I was one of the people stupid enough to buy a window AC when you can find them for free
    I will be stupid enough to build my own chiller when I could use a window AC
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

2.4C killer
    Originally posted by jamaljaco
    I offered you my monster ac. To late now I just put it on my bench it's awaiting mass destruction. I would check out the pawnshops, goodwill and the like If nothing else do the Wallmart thing for about a hundred bucks.
    Yeah, 11 amps is too much me thinks I need something that was made this century! lol. hmm pawnshops ill have to look for a nice cheap high BTU one for fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast