Thread: Radeon 9700 question...

Xtreme Member

Radeon 9700 question...

Any one here have the Radeon 9700 Pro? I just got it today and noticed something strange in Device Manager- there are two instances of the video card. Is this normal? Could the Secondary entry be for a dual monitor setup? Here is a screen cap of what I mean:

Xtreme Gamer
    That's normal. I think it might have to do with their dual monitor support, even when you only have one monitor.

Overclocking Guru
    emtp563

Long time no see, yea it's a normal thing, not sure why, I guess for dual Monitor

OPP

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys, just making sure nothing is FUBAR. I was extremely reluctant in buying this card. I'm a hard-core NVIDIOT. Hopefully this card and ATI's driver suport will meet (and hopefully exceed) my expectations.

p.s.- bought this at a computer show today. I was actually looking to see if anyone had the new XP 2400/2600+'s. No one did :-( I was hoping a vendor might have gotten some in early.

Xtreme Cruncher
    the newest Ati drivers gave me almost an extra 1000 points but i've talked 2 people that said they got nothing or lost points.

Overclocking Guru
    Originally posted by twiggy
    the newest Ati drivers gave me almost an extra 1000 points but i've talked 2 people that said they got nothing or lost points.
    What driver is that Twiggy, do you have a link??

Thanks,
    OPP

Xtreme Cruncher
    "These drivers, as part of the CATALYST software suite, are the first to market which have been designed for Microsoft XP Service Pack 1. CATALYST 02.3 has been optimized for maximum stability and compatibility with Service Pack 1."

http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...&cmdNext=GO%21

Overclocking Guru
    Good deal, I'll see what it does. I'll report back

OPP

Technician
    New drivers dropped me 300 points. 6166 arent they?

Not tried with SP1 installed yet tho. Gonna max my score before I mess with any drivers.

PiLsY.

Overclocking Guru
    Iv'e got the driver installed and lost 25 points but this is without SP1, I'm going to have SP1 installed here in a few minutes and see what happens.

OPP

Xtreme Member
    I thought you only ran W98 OPP (cause it's faster?)

Technician
    XP is much faster for P4s .

It used to be that 98/ME was fastest about 8 months ago running an AMD system. Since then 2k drivers have matured immensely, and for an AMD system win 2k is King now. P4s tho have always given best performance under win XP .

PiLsY.

Xtreme Addict
    So do these drivers perform better with SP1?

I went from 6143 to these 6166 drivers and im getting same results if not better than previously with 15mhz less on the core so im happy....

It was hot lastnight so couldn get a high stable OC, but due to it being cooler today, we will see how it goes...

Intel P4 3.2 EE || Asus P4C800-E || Prometia Mach II || 2 x 256Meg HyperX 3500 || Antec TrueControl|| Sapphire Radeon 9800XT || 2x Raptors || Samsung 172T

OCAU 3DMark Team || 3DMark Compare: 26847 || World of Britney|| PCDB Entry

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird. You actually have to think about them when you watch them. " -Britney Spears

Overclocking Guru
    I just got done with SP1 and the new drivers and I lost about 50-100 points compared to my No SP1 and original Drivers off of the Radeon CD.
    O-well, at least it wasn't my benching OS I was playing with

Win 98 Like I said emtp563, Long time no see, where you been my friend

OPP

Xtreme Member
    Opp- I'm not usually around my computer during the summer months. I run a lawn care company during the day and have a full-time Paramedic job at night. The season is winding down, though. :-)

Xtreme Addict
    Opp - Cheers for the reply. I havnt tried SP1 as yet but by the sounds of it I wont. Did they fix the refresh rate thing as well?

Also did you try the new 6166 drivers yet? I am getting the same scores as I was with the 6143 drivers, but my core is 10 less than what it was with the 6143, leading me to believe these drivers maybe a little bit better.

Im keep testing with the 6166 and let you know my results later tonight...

Cheers man..

Intel P4 3.2 EE || Asus P4C800-E || Prometia Mach II || 2 x 256Meg HyperX 3500 || Antec TrueControl|| Sapphire Radeon 9800XT || 2x Raptors || Samsung 172T

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird. You actually have to think about them when you watch them. " -Britney Spears

Overclocking Guru
    Sure havn't, I guess I'll try them now on this SP1 drive.

OPP

Overclocking Guru
    Creative,

Where would I find it

OPP

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.ati.com/support/products/...PRO&cmdNext=GO!

The ones dated 12th September are the Cat 2.3 Control panel and Drivers, grab those

Also at Rage3d.com they were talking about some new D3D patch to fix Mafia and BF1942 but I dont play those games so havnt installed it so therefore not sure if it does anything to 3dmark either. Ill sus it out soon...

Overclocking Guru
    Thats the one I did earlier in the thread and it was the worst combo yet

OPP

Xtreme Addict
    doh, i thought you were talking bout the older drivers and SP1. Sorry about that...

Didnt your nature scores go up at least with these new drivers?