Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Passive Rads

Xtreme X.I.P.
    if thats true then why do copper heatsinks need more airflow to get the same temps as a heatsink with copper base and alu fins?

ive tried several heatsinks and all copper heatsinks get me worse temps with the same fan as mixed heatsinks even though the copper heatsinks have a higher fin surface. i think its not a myth...

Have you compared exactly the same heatsink with copper and aluminium fins.

If not, then there are various other factorss which could come into play.

I'm just telling you the facts.

Most of the heat is transferred to the air via convective heat transfer, and this is independent of the material doing the dissipating. In other words, the ONLY advantage aluminium has over copper is having very little effect.

8-ball

Xtreme Member
    8-ball, do you know an online source where they explain all this kind of stuff?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree with 8-ball on this one I am affraid.
    saaya's hands on experience is as valid as it can be, I do not have any reason to doubt your word saaya m8.

It is terribly hard to do proper testing and obtain compareable results. Generally alu or hybrid sinks are much biger than copper counterparts due to weight differnece of materials.
    Valid comparison could only be entertained with three heatsinks of EXACTLY the same design and surface area .
    Stock is never good enough!

M E D U S A

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah your right i guess, pure copper heatsinks have a large fin surface but the fins are very close to each other, so you need a more powerfull fan to move the sam cfm through them...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12