Thumbs up over 40 waterblocks compared!

http://www.watercoolplanet.de/index....ow=1&pagenum=1

they tested them on a heat source of 100W on a die surface of 128mm²

here are more infos and pics about the test system:
    http://www.watercoolplanet.de/index.php?open=17&show=52

most important they only used a slow pump and a small rad:
    eheim 1046 (300L/H)
    black cube radiator with 120mm papst

the results are very interesting though, the maze 4 is on rank 41!!!

would be interesting to see them test all the blocks with a much bigger rad and a much stronger pump.
    Last edited by saaya; 02-24-2004 at 06:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I know that review. it's worthless and NOT AT ALL reliable

they should have used at least a 600l/h pump

Xtreme X.I.P.
    you think they lied about the numbers? it doesnt say anything about the performence of the blocks with a fast pump, but i trust the numbers they put up.

but its true, the pump is WAY to slow and 100W is not contemporary anymore either. my xp1700+@2.4ghz with 2.1v puts out 140W under load. 150W or 200W would be better.

they should run def more then just one test with diferent heat output and diferent pumps and rads.

100W 300L/h small rad
    150W 600L/H medium rad
    200W 100L/H big rad

Xtreme Relic
    For some reason they are stuck on the old misconception that slow flow rate is better for cooling while the rest of the world has moved on to fast pumps. They just won't give it up.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no, they dont think its better, they just say 300L/h is enough.... while it may be enough for keeping the cpu at a reasonable temp it doesnt show the cpu blocks full performence. how good a block can make use of more waterflow makes or breaks it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think these test results are very good in showing performance of great number of different blocks with given testbed setup. Nothing more nothing less.
    Ppl shouting around that it is worthelss are missing the point here...
    One may not find it uselful for one's purposes since. Again, it ONLY shows performance of tested blocks wtih given h'ware, nothing more nothing less.
    For peeps using 1048 type of little pumping fellas it's a godsend imho

P.s. there were rumours about changing test bed mid way testing which if proven truth would invelidate the whole exercise... it'd have to be split in two sections, beforre change and after to keep making any sense
    Stock is never good enough!

M E D U S A

Xtreme Relic
    saaya,

I have actually seen some people post the old twisted logic that slower gives the heat more time to dissipate theory. That's what I was reffering to, but yeah I have seen them use the " faster not needed" excuse too. The 1st one is really bad and just shows a complete lack of any understanding.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

There is an interesting thread over at procooling which touches on this subject.

It is geared more towards flow rate in radiators, but much of what is discussed can be applied both ways.

Grab a cup of coffee. It's a big one!!

enjoy

8-ball

Xtreme Relic
    Thanks, I will read it.

Xtreme Mentor
    I think the MAZE4 was ranked 41 coze the design needs a fast pump coze it have a long time in the block, so at the end the water is the same temp as the block

Xtreme Member
    It isn't consistent (I have heard of them changing the heating element ) and it uses a setup style that is only found in Europe. In NA and the UK, we use massive pumps, and MUCH larger than 1/4" (ID or OD? I don't know) tubing.

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by 8-ball
    There is an interesting thread over at procooling which touches on this subject.

It is geared more towards flow rate in radiators, but much of what is discussed can be applied both ways.

Grab a cup of coffee. It's a big one!!

enjoy

8-ball
    There's more info very specific to the WCP testbed and its results which is discussed here:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8005

Basically the thread addresses various testbed anomalies, and then goes into some theory.

Even as a low-flow test-bed, the test procedure used leaves a lot to be desired, and there are some pretty anomalous results at WCP that do not agree with more strictly controlled testing by others.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so its probably BS?

added those two threads to favourites and will read them later.

cathar, i guess your annoyed about people asking you this, but when will you start working on a new block again?

Xtreme Relic
    Yeah...added to my favorites too...thanks.
    I have wondered about the question saaya asked too. I guess everyone has. How much more room for improvement is there though? At least from a design standpoint of just the block. Quite honestly, I can't imagine there is any room for design improvement on the block and you will have to look elsewhere or combine various small tweaks of other components for better performance?
    Are there actually design changes that you have been wanting to make cathar?

Xtreme Member
    He's making the Cascade XXX, and it sounds like all five of those will kick a lot of ass. Search Pro/Forums for more details...

Edit: It may have sounded like there would be five types of it. I meant there would be five total.

Xtreme Relic
    Are you serious? Why only 5?
    Are they made from lunar rocks collected in 1969 moon landing?

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by TheDude
    Are you serious? Why only 5?
    Are they made from lunar rocks collected in 1969 moon landing?
    The middle plate and base-plate together accounted for about 85% of what one was paying for with a regular Cascade, with 90% of that being the cost of the machine time. i.e. the machine time costs for the middle/base plate represents about 75% of the total cost of a copper Cascade.

The middle and base-plates for the XXX will each have about 3x the machine time involved, for a total of around 3hrs of machine time, as well as super-high quality machine lapping, as well as the base-plate made out of 99.998% pure silver. All up, around the $350US mark or so for each as a rough prediction, and around $260US each for each of the two copper-based prototypes. That's also not including the cost of the CNC programming. i.e. basically 2 long days of workshop time to make 7 blocks.

I can't imagine more than 5 people wanting one (I keep two silvers).

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Originally posted by Cathar

I can't imagine more than 5 people wanting one (I keep two silvers).
    <-------- That guy wants one for sure... but then, you already know that!

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Relic
    Wow....speechless here!
    Lots of people will want one, just not many will actually spend the money for one. It's going to be an historical work of art!
    Will you still make them on a per order basis after the original 5 if there is an interest?
    Is $350 US the total cost for a silver one?
    thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Oh my God cathar i'd be alot of green a nice kickass block!!

Ripping it up on old technology
    i4memory.com

Xtreme Relic
    I saw a pic of the silver one he already made. It's the most beautiful block I have ever seen in my life! Breath taking!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    where can i see it?

cathar, have you done sme research regarding cermarics already? there are some ceramics that have great termal properties.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Estimated Time of Arrival Cathar?
    When can we expect to see it published?

M E D U S A

Xtreme Relic
    saaya,

The pic is in this forum somewhere, I'll look for it and post a link unless someone else knows without searching? I'm talking about the one of the silver base block.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by saaya
    where can i see it?

cathar, have you done sme research regarding cermarics already? there are some ceramics that have great termal properties.
    Check out this baby

I couldn't stop slobbering for days

M E D U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast