Thread: NF7-S shuts down when exiting BIOS

NF7-S shuts down when exiting BIOS

Picked up and NF7-S rev 2 and a Barton 2500-m to play with and have run across an odd problem. Initial boot into BIOS is fine. Whether I make any changes or not, as soon as I exit BIOS, the system shuts down and I have to clear CMOS to get back in. Anyone have a surefire fix? Barring that, anyone have an idea of where to go from here?

I've pulled the board looking for shorts, swapped in an old reliable xp1700, swapped the Corsair 3500 for Corsair 3200 and tried different mem slots, re-seated the vid card a couple times, double & triple checked board wiring & jumpers.

NF7-s rev 2, XP1700, 1 512 Corsair XMS3500 rev 1.1, AIW 9700pro, Antec TrueControl 550. Running shipped BIOS, monitor won't power up quick enough for me to get the number.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    E6600 @ 3.6ghz - Tuniq Tower / Asus P5B Deluxe / 2gb G-Skill HZ/ ATI 3870 / Silverstone OP650

Xtreme Member
    Flash back to d20 or earlier BIOS.
    Keeper's "Heatware"

Folding for nerdsforjesus.org

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE
    AM2 6000
    2X36 Gig Rators O/S
    2X250Gig Storage
    2X 2 Gig Corsair
    2X EVGA 7900 GTO

Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture which they cannot understand. The Scripture which troubles me most is the Scripture I do understand.

-- Mark Twain

Was planning a BIOS flash as a last resort since I'm uncomfortable with the lightning fast shutdown on exit. Think I've found the problem though. This board doesn't like the AIW 9700 for some strange reason. Swapped in an old 7500 and everything is right as rain. Put the 9700 back in the Epox in sig, works fine. Put it in the Abit, shuts down exiting BIOS.
    May be just the excuse I need to upgrade to a 9800.
    E6600 @ 3.6ghz - Tuniq Tower / Asus P5B Deluxe / 2gb G-Skill HZ/ ATI 3870 / Silverstone OP650

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, that's fairly normal ... mine does the same when I set it at too agressive of a FSB it can't handle ... if you flip the PSU switch wait a few secs, and turn it on, it resets to default settings to boot up, but keeps your same bios settings.

Also turn on your monitor, let it boot a little bit, then reset the pc, and see what the bios version is...

It is very strange that you can't save anything at all... how much are you trying to change in the BIOS ? Try after going into the bios, just changing one thing, then saving and rebooting...

Yes, it seems a good excuse to grab a 9800Pro
    Last edited by LilGator; 02-22-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I thought you may have been using the d21 BIOS, a lot of people have had problems booting out of BIOS with it.
    Keeper's "Heatware"

Folding for nerdsforjesus.org

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE
    AM2 6000
    2X36 Gig Rators O/S
    2X250Gig Storage
    2X 2 Gig Corsair
    2X EVGA 7900 GTO

Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture which they cannot understand. The Scripture which troubles me most is the Scripture I do understand.

-- Mark Twain

That's the strange part. I don't have to change anything in the BIOS to kill it. Clear CMOS, boot to BIOS, exit without saving, dead.
    I've narrowed it down to the AIW. I've tried a few other graphic cards and and all work fine with the exception of the 9700. Appreciate the responses, I'm going to take this as a clear sign that it's time to upgrade.
    Keeper, thanks for the heads up on d21, I was planning on trying a few different versions for highest fsb, I'll move that one to the bottom of the list.