Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9600XT Vmods

Xtreme Member

9600XT Vmods

I'm still in search of a vmod for my 9600XT, I'm in need of 700+ core

I've taken pictures of the interesting areas of the card where I think the Vmods will be, but from looking at Unoid's images, my card doesn't have the same vregs.

VGPU mod area:

I'm guessing that the chip close to the mosfets is going to feed vGPU right? That's where it seems most logical to assume the vMod area is. But I'm screwed if I know which leg I'm looking at

VMem mod area:

Help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by bigZ; 02-20-2004 at 07:54 PM.
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Member
    I've always been lead to believe that this was the best place on the internet for help with voltage modifications. Yet I've asked on 2 separate occasions with 2 different cards, and no-one can seem to be arsed to help me in my quest for finding more points for the XS 3dmark team. I'm trying to learn, but if no-one seems to be willing to help, I may as well go look somewhere else for a bit of advice and hope to feel a little more welcome.

I can't be the only person who's bought a Sapphire 9600XT Fireblade on these forums and someone who is a bit more clued up on voltage regulators than I am.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

isnt the 9600xt and the 9600pro vmod the same but with diff stock voltage?
    2100@2.55ghz / 2.8c@3.3ghz / 2500M@ 2.7ghz
    9500pro(softmod/vmod) 430core 335mem / 9600xt(vmod) 620core 745mem
    epox 8rda+ /abit ic7 max3

Xtreme Member
    I've searched around the net for a good 2 weeks trying to find vmods, my vregs are different as I have said. They are a different size to anything on unoid's site, so that doesn't help me do the vmods.
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    take a look at the picture of 9600p within first link in vmods thread here. maybe that helps...

besides u will have to post what each of those chips are... write down all markings and post 'em here...

also, probably you're right with that vgpu vreg. leg below little hole on it is no. 1 so it might be same as on the picture in above link... then it could be pin5 to ground (pin7)... not sure until u check all those chips...

Xtreme Member
    Sorry I haven't got back before this, been having fun with nVidia detonator drivers and windows XP (*pukes*) over the weekend, so I've not had access to my email.

I'll take a look and list the chip codes, probably best to do this on a copy of the original diagram. I'm not at my own computer at the moment, but I'll post the chip codes later this evening.
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Member
    I've got the images of the card including the codes on the vregs now...

Cheers
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    from what i can see (i'm kinda new to vmodding, so u should confirm that with others) that ISL6522CB is going to be voltage regulator for Vdd, not vgpu...
    and also, it looks like there's no vreg for vgpu on those pics, so maybe:
    1. that sticker with barcodes, pcb and serial numbers sit on little aluminium plate (can't see from that pic) which covers the vreg in question,

2. or u need to take some more pics, with the one with overall look of back side of the card...

EDIT: also before vmodding check voltages on all of those leads from caps visible on the first and second pics....
    Last edited by bachus_anonym; 02-24-2004 at 01:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    righto, got an image of the back of the card, labelled anything that I haven't already labelled.

there's nothing under the stickers, apart from a few small resistors
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Member
    right I've done some poking around with the multimeter, and this is what I came up with.

I'm guessing that my card is 1.3v core and 2.75v mem? Anyone throw anymore into this pot at all?

Cheers
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

I think the RT9202 chips have to be the ones you are searching for. All other chips are in the same place as on the reference layout.

you can find teh datasheet here: http://www.richtek.com.tw/Product/Docs/DS9202-02.pdf

The describtion seems to fit, pin 6 must be the one to mod.

this is only what I think. When I had my KT266a board and wanted to find the vdd mod I invested much time for research about vmods, how they work an how to find them. But I cant say that my skills are good enough to give a definately correct describtion. Its your choice if you are willing to risk it.

If you can measure the resistance between the RT9202s pin6 and ground i can suggest you how much resistance you should try but I might be wrong.

no risk no fun

That *looks* like the Sapphire 9600XT Fireblade? But has Hynix RAM?

Anyway, the card I have has the very same chips ('cept for the RAM, 2.86ns Samsung :p) and the RT9202s control VGPU and VDDR. The middle controller (6522CB) is for the VDDQ.

I found that out in this OCforums thread but haven't attempted the mod yet as my RAMsinks haven't come (damn radio spares)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i think u guys are right,

RT9202 - vgpu and vddd

as for ISL6522 it has to be vddq controller bcoz when u look closely it has 4 solder points on the right and another 4 are underneath the chip. on 9500 and 9700 there is IRU3037A in exactly same palce. on those cards it controls vddq...

EDIT: i guess we all help eachother to learn anything here, ain't that right ? :-)

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by L337 M33P
    That *looks* like the Sapphire 9600XT Fireblade? But has Hynix RAM?

Anyway, the card I have has the very same chips ('cept for the RAM, 2.86ns Samsung :p) and the RT9202s control VGPU and VDDR. The middle controller (6522CB) is for the VDDQ.

I found that out in this OCforums thread but haven't attempted the mod yet as my RAMsinks haven't come (damn radio spares)
    Yeah it's a Sapphire 9600XT Fireblade, good spot

Right then, I need to get this straight in my mind before I attempt the mod(s)

For the VGPU mod I'm connecting pin 6 to pin 3 on the IC which is towards the blanking plate end of the board with a 10k VR right? Or am I connecting pin 6 to a ground point on the card (blanking plate, etc)

Vmem would be nice, but I'm already at 374mem so I'm *fairly* happy with that

I mainly want to get the VGPU mod done and then I'll look to work at the VMEM mod

One step at a time, my first vmod I did was on the Xabre 200, and that's the only card vmod I've done, ever

My soldering is up to it though I feel. Just need some clarification on exactly which pins I'm modding before I warm the iron up. Thanks for the valuable input into this thread guys
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by bigZ
    For the VGPU mod I'm connecting pin 6 to pin 3 on the IC which is towards the blanking plate end of the board with a 10k VR right? Or am I connecting pin 6 to a ground point on the card (blanking plate, etc)
    NOOO!!! Pin3 goes to ground on VR and Pin6 to one of two other legs of VR. also if you didn't know before, pin1 is the one with little hole right next to it... also don't forget to set VR to max before soldering it in place...

there is alternative way of doing this mod to avoid soldering onto legs of that chip... but it requires "tracing" from those pins in question to find corresponding spots on the PCB... in that case u would be still doing same work on "VR side" but soldering points would be on the PCB and not that RT9202 chip...

good luck...

Xtreme Member

Like this if my understanding is right?

<./n00b mode>
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    that's correct

Xtreme Member
    cool, thanks, now to find my stash of VR's

Thanks for the help guys
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    write down all voltages from the board and don't forget about checking them after, say, every VR turn.... in case the chip might be for something else than vgpu... (e.g. vddr, vddq or vref)... just to be sure since we're were not 100% positive about which chip is for what...

Xtreme Member
    ok... I've added the VR in... but a small problem.

Measuring from both the legs of the VR and from the ends of the wire that I've soldered on, I get 640 ohm no matter where the VR is turned to. Is this correct?

There is also no definite end to the turning on the VR, so how can I find the max resistance.

I hate asking silly questions but I'm not powering the card until I'm certain that what I have done is correct.

Thanks
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Member
    well, I've decided to throw caution to the wind and just turn it on

it worked, and I'm up to 1.4v where I was measuring 1.3v previously... time to do some testing

Thanks for everyone's help here, especially L337 M33P, bachus_anonym and of course funktional (the guy pushing me hard to get the scores that I am getting) for your input on this thread, without you guys, this wouldn't be possible
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme Addict
    OT: Does placing heatsinks on mofsets do anything?

Ripping it up on old technology
    i4memory.com

Xtreme Member
    which 'fets you meaning? on your motherboard or on the card?

I've got no additional cooling on my card, apart from the waterblock on the core. A big deskfan seems to do more than enough to cool down my memory
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Xtreme X.I.P.
    nice work, man... hope u will get it higher now :thumbsup:

Xtreme Addict
    I have also got a Sapphire 9600XT and wanting to vmod the mem and gpu

I found this site out and its very usefull. Im going to do my vmods accordin to the information given on the site below.

http://www.unoid.net/9600pro/voltage.html

The BBA PCB is the same layout as my card. Ive already checked the voltages on my card using the guide and they look good.

Now I just need to get some 10K vr's and start moddin

My speeds I get now are 554 core and 349 mem on air.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast