Introduction

The webcam has come a long way over the last 20 years, since Connectix unveiled the black-and-white QuickCam in 1994, a model with a qVGA resolution (that's a quarter of VGA) that cost a hundred bucks at launch. While models have improved markedly since then, there are instances where a built-in webcam, of the sort that comes with your laptop or smartphone, simply isn't good enough, especially for a small group of participants. Sometimes, you need something that is not only better qualitatively speaking, but also more flexible and versatile. Enter the All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote by Sandberg, an integrated videoconferencing solution that brings together speaker, microphone, 1080P camera and video output (plus a nifty little remote control). Sandberg are slowly becoming an incredibly useful retailer for any and all tech needs. Ranging from microphones to office headsets to even Esports equipment, the Danish brand is practically catering for anyone needing any piece of technology. One of their biggest ranges is the Webcam section, where they cater for all needs. The Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote is a fairly small and surprisingly light cylinder. It has an elegant, understated design. When Sandberg says the All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote offers “All-in-1 solution for online meetings” they mean it. That means real-time connection to your staff or clients.

It is compatible with Windows 7, 8.1, 10, 11 and Mac OS X 10.7 or higher. As expected, it is compatible with Microsoft Skype for Business and all known online conference applications.

Packaging & Contents

The Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote comes packed in a nice black and blue package with the Sandberg logo on top. The front of the package shows a large image of the ConfCam in the middle and the main features.

On the sides we have more images and illustrations on how the ConfCam can be used and on the back we have detailed information in 24 languages.

The Camera itself is packed very securely. Foam pad is made in the most vulnerable places.

Inside the box we just have the ConfCam, a 1 USB-C to USB-A cable(lenght 3m) and a quick guide.

The remote has some controls built into it. There are volume controls, a mute button that is easy to access, OSD Menu (Middle) with PIP function, separate zoom in and zoom out buttons, and a four-way toggle for image viewing angle. The remote has a range of ten feet so you can pace back and forth while using it. You can also sit politely at the other end of the table and still control the All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote, but I like the image of wandering back and forth while sharing one’s wisdom with others.

Open the back of the remote control and insert 2 x AAA batteries.

A Closer Look

When I first opened the box, I was impressed by what a refined piece of equipment the Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote is. The burnished metallic finish tube is solid and looks almost artistic in its design. Don’t let that fool you, as the Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote is a serious work device that will let many people teleconference with those who could be on the other side of the planet.

The camera sells itself as being very portable- however, it is definitely larger than traditional top-of-monitor web cams and takes up more room in a suitcase. So while portability is nice, I would not consider that a selling point if space is a premium in your suitcase.

The device is 275 mm x 70 mm x 70 mm and weighs 474gr.

The top of the device has four touch-sensitive icons. These touch controls come with leds on them. Led that glows blue when the device is turned on and when you're in a call, and red when you mute the mic. There’s an HD 1080P camera with 3X digital zoom on the upper portion. And, as you might expect on something of this quality, Sandberg used a Sony IMX307 lens with 1/2.8″ HD color CMOS, 2.1 sensor. Just below that is a focus wheel, so you get a crisp a picture as possible. Two omni-directional full duplex microphones are located in the front and at the back with acoustic echo and noise-cancellation technologies. Three leds illuminate to let you know what is going on at any given moment.

The bottom portion is a 5W speaker. It wraps around the entire device to allow it to deliver sound. The Sandberg name placed predominantly, but not obnoxiously, above it.

The bottom of the device has a soft rubber ring running around it. This allows it to sit on any surface without damaging it and keeps the device from slipping and sliding.

A USB-C connection port.

Performance

Setting up the Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote is a breeze thanks to its Plug and Play design. To use video or audio, you need to connect the tower to your PC's USB port (the unit supports Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, 11 and Mac OS X 10.7 or later). When I plugged it into a laptop running Windows 10, the driver was found and installed automatically. I was then able to use the device in a Skype conference call by selecting Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote in the program's audio and video setup menus.

The camera sits nice and high so it gives a very wide field of view even for members 6-8 feet away. We love the standalone ConfCam not needing to be mounted on anything.

So what about actually using the Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote? In a word it is … great. My Board of friends meets weekly, and there is an increasing number of people who end up calling in. Participants in my test conferences were generally pleased with the image quality from the 1080P, 105-degree camera, both video and audio quality were good. The people on the other end remark that there is a noticeable improvement in our video calls. The ConfCam does not have any framing or freezing issues that occur in other systems we have used. The dual omnidirectional mic is good quality and picks up conservations from all angles very well, there are no apparent dead spots in its coverage. The speaker is also of good quality and delivers good sound quality, clear and not "tinny" sounding. The remote is a very handy addition to to the device and is the best way to control the unit, it allows panning, zooming, muting, and volume control. You can also manually adjust it with the focus wheel on the device.

Final Thoughts

ConfCam is a great portable huddle speaker, microphone and camera combination. The design is superb. It's in the shape of a cylinder, with speaker surrounding the base and a burnished metallic finish. And the camera in the tower sits high enough that it has a full camera with 105 degree angle just sitting at a normal table height. This means that you can easily place it at one end of a meeting table and then have all the participants at the table in view. It features perfectly acceptable video and sound quality. It is possible to use the remote, to use the pan, tilt, and zoom functions. It is also possible to mute the mic with the remote. It is possible to see a very large room, and then zoom in on individual people if you like. I cannot stress how very EASY this is to use. It immediately started the automatic install. It was no bother at all. 5 minutes later, I was using the system with Skype. Streaming was fast and smooth. It was amazingly clear without lag and NO picture or audio problems at all. My one and only gripe, yes, there is one. NO Mobile devices can use the ConfCam via a Bluetooth connection or as an external wireless speakerphone via a WIFI connection. Also 105-degree field of view is poor compared to what some smartphones offer. The Samsung Galaxy S21, for example, has a 120-degree FoV allowing for a large portion of any scene to be displayed.

This is an outstanding product! We've been using it for a few weeks and have been very pleasantly surprised. We've been able to use it in a larger (10 people) conference room with great success. We didn't expect that, because audio is a real challenge in larger spaces. The ConfCam's microphones and speakers cover more territory than the specifications state. Video is sharp and the onboard compression processor really takes the strain off the laptop we use as a hub. The Sandberg All-in-1 ConfCam 1080P Remote is an impressive piece of hardware which fills a niche very nicely, although it doesn't come cheap at 242 euros. For home use this is possibly overkill, but absolutely capable.