Thread: What Keeps People From Using Password Managers?

What Keeps People From Using Password Managers?

As tech professionals, we are often frustrated by how clients use or do not use passwords.

The Wall Street Journal has an article addressing the issue:

What Keeps People From Using Password Managers?

Cybersecurity experts say they will make our online accounts more secure. But the usual methods of persuasion don't work.
    Many of us are vulnerable to hackers and eager to secure our online accounts, but lots of us also refuse to use an obvious solution: password managers.
    Why? Our research has found that the typical reassurances and promises about password managers just don't work. Fortunately, our research also suggests there are strategies that can persuade people to get past the psychological barriers and keep their data safe.

Those promoting password managers are currently relying on suboptimal strategies to encourage adoption. If we continue to do this, the glass ceiling will remain in place, uncracked. Improving adoption is a simple matter of explicitly addressing the mooring factors and raising awareness of the advantages of password managers and the risk of not using them. It is not that hard to do.

The authors:
    Dr. Renaud is a Chancellor's Fellow at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland. Dr. Alkaldi is assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at King Saud University's College of Computer and Information Science in Saudi Arabia.

Full article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-ke...rs-11623086700

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would never rely on a single point of failure. If someone cracks the password manager, then I'm boned for all my accounts.
    99.999999% of the world listens to autotuned pop singers. If you are part of the 0.000001% who listen to the future goddess of music Hatsune Miku, copy and paste this into your sig.