Thread: Upgrade question

Xtreme Enthusiast

Upgrade question

My son gave me a Asus Prime A320M-K motherboard with a six core 2nd gen processor. Crunches great. Has only one case fan connector. Am considering a 16 core AMD processor to swap out. Being AM4, should work. But the single case fan worries my. Current heat sink is a monster. Would I be pushing my luck going 16 core with this motherboard? Thanks.

I would not put anything more than 8 cores in that board, the VRM looks like it would have trouble with 8 and just not run a 12 or 16 properly.

If you want everything on one PWM controller and you can get an external powered fan controller that reads the MB PWN slot, you could get a fan controller that works with windows or is manual, or you could get fans at the RPM you want and let them go with just molex or sata power.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks. I’ll leave this one alone and build a complete system.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD lists the 3950x can be used on this board. Not sure I would trust it though.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Co.../HelpDesk_CPU/

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    AMD lists the 3950x can be used on this board. Not sure I would trust it though.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Co.../HelpDesk_CPU/
    Can work and wont power throttle are two very different things. There are prebuilts that run the 3950 at 65W and they hang out around 2.6ghz. I would not want that, and I would not want to push the VRM until it throttles or blows up.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi