Thread: Modifying a air cooler

Xtreme Enthusiast

Modifying a air cooler

Has anyone attempted to modify one of these thermaltake coolers?
    https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/ux200...pu-cooler.html

I have a couple similar and thinking of cutting 1/3 of a 120mm down to fit a case. I have a couple of these 1366 coolers to experiment with from older systems I had in the past. Just wondering to seal the end of the cooling tube if crimping would work or soldering would be needed. Thanks.

From my experience with coolers like that you would need to solder crimping wouldnt be enough.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks. Kind of figured that. Trying to remove 14 top fins. A little harder than I thought. Half way there. Dam fins are sharp. Chewed the crap out of one of my fingers holding it. Wearing a glove to hold it. Will post a picture of it once the fins are removed. Tubes are copper with silver paint. Hoping a little heat will help bend the tubes without breaking them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got the fins off.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well this project is moot. Just sold the computer. Fun while it lasted.