Thread: Would an older dual XEON setup perform well?

Would an older dual XEON setup perform well?

Hey guys, been looking into building a dedicated cruncher and was wondering if building a dual cpu E5-2690v2 would be worth it today. looks like I could build it for under $800-$1000. 40 threads at 3.0Ghz... Anybody have a setup like this? Thanks.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone can let me know how many points that system would generate daily that would help tremendously.

well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a matching pair of E5-2698V3's. Ill post up the results and build just in-case someone else would like do do a similar setup.

Xtreme Recruit
    Hi
    As you know E5-2698V3 is Server`s cpu and it`s not suitable for a hardware enthusiast. i9-10900KF with lower price and higher performance and also great OC capability is much better choice by far, do not waste your money!

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi_FXX View Post
    Hi
    As you know E5-2698V3 is Server`s cpu and it`s not suitable for a hardware enthusiast. i9-10900KF with lower price and higher performance and also great OC capability is much better choice by far, do not waste your money!
    I picked up 2 of these cpu's for $400.00 (for both) and a I9-10900KF is $549.99. Now I have a I9-9900KF in my gaming computer that is crunching now with all cores at 5.0Ghz. I believe the Xeon setup will out preform the my 9900KF but I could be wrong. I'll have this setup built in about a week and I'll post up the findings. I think it will be a good comparison for the money and be cool for a nostalgist piece. stay tuned!

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by the1320god View Post
    I picked up 2 of these cpu's for $400.00 (for both) and a I9-10900KF is $549.99. Now I have a I9-9900KF in my gaming computer that is crunching now with all cores at 5.0Ghz. I believe the Xeon setup will out preform the my 9900KF but I could be wrong. I'll have this setup built in about a week and I'll post up the findings. I think it will be a good comparison for the money and be cool for a nostalgist piece. stay tuned!
    So if the Xeon is $400.00 things are different!

Quote Originally Posted by Mehdi_FXX View Post
    So if the Xeon is $400.00 things are different!
    $400 for 2 of them

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by the1320god View Post
    $400 for 2 of them
    Forgot Core-i9 completely