Thread: Asus Post Code: 00 CPU Dead

Asus Post Code: 00 CPU Dead

I have been around a few years and I have seen and killed a few CPU's in that time. I enjoy is a good challenge and one of my oddities is figuring out if I can revive from post code 00 and what I tried successfully to recover.
    It helps to have a known good CPU to test but that's not always possible.

After you confirm the obvious of reseating, no bent pins, and tried a different board to no avail, there is still things you can try.

When you press the power button the fans come on? They should come on high speed and quickly rev down. If they don't rev down press the reset button(it should not work), If not use the restart button or the bios reset button to force restart. Keep trying about 20 times. Watch for post code movement, listen for fan rev down. Hopefully your post code will recover and bring you back to EE, just hold the power button to power it off and back on, you should post back and enter bios to make an adjustment in vcore, ram speed, disable cores, and more. If this method works for you and you can get to post the chances are it was damaged during OC. What you will find out is you can keep restarting and everything will seem ok until you let it sit overnight and you will need to do the reset a bunch of times again to post.

If your fans don't rev down:
    Pull the battery for a minute
    Try BIOS 2 if you have one
    Try each memory slot

Let mobo sit on at 00, wait for it to shut off on its own. The machine shut down instantly after when you press the power button, don't get discouraged, pull the battery for one minute and start over.
    Second CPU method, usually the mobo will sense CPU change but chances are your not getting that far.
    Go into bios with good CPU, set vcore to 1.4v, turn off all cores except one, turn off HT, go into devices and disable everything, set ram speed to 2666Mhz and auto timing. Then swap to deaded CPU.

I will edit down my video demonstration of recovering a 00 CPU.

This is my dead core machine also recovered from that I still use at work today, this CPU has a dead core and will post 00 if BIOS is reset.

https://hwbot.org/submission/2807666..._x_72299_marks

I have a 2600K that is also similar and recovers after warming up at post code 00 for a minute and 20 resets.

Once these CPU's are posted they will restart fine, its just when they sit again for a few hours they can return to 00.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Administrator
    Good info Charles, thanks !

I have a dead 5960X ES here, that I might give a try on, but I think the scammer who sold it to me dead killed it properly and it won't recover.

I have a 5960X with core 7 is dead.

Ill let you know board and bios I us to get operational.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wirth View Post
    I have been around a few years and I have seen and killed a few CPU's in that time. I enjoy is a good challenge and one of my oddities is figuring out if I can revive from post code 00 and what I tried successfully to recover.
    It helps to have a known good CPU to test but that's not always possible.

After you confirm the obvious of reseating, no bent pins, and tried a different board to no avail, there is still things you can try.

When you press the power button the fans come on? They should come on high speed and quickly rev down. If they don't rev down press the reset button(it should not work), If not use the restart button or the bios reset button to force restart. Keep trying about 20 times. Watch for post code movement, listen for fan rev down. Hopefully your post code will recover and bring you back to EE, just hold the power button to power it off and back on, you should post back and enter bios to make an adjustment in vcore, ram speed, disable cores, and more. If this method works for you and you can get to post the chances are it was damaged during OC. What you will find out is you can keep restarting and everything will seem ok until you let it sit overnight and you will need to do the reset a bunch of times again to post.

If your fans don't rev down:
    Pull the battery for a minute
    Try BIOS 2 if you have one
    Try each memory slot

Let mobo sit on at 00, wait for it to shut off on its own. The machine shut down instantly after when you press the power button, don't get discouraged, pull the battery for one minute and start over.
    Second CPU method, usually the mobo will sense CPU change but chances are your not getting that far.
    Go into bios with good CPU, set vcore to 1.4v, turn off all cores except one, turn off HT, go into devices and disable everything, set ram speed to 2666Mhz and auto timing. Then swap to deaded CPU.

I will edit down my video demonstration of recovering a 00 CPU.

This is my dead core machine also recovered from that I still use at work today, this CPU has a dead core and will post 00 if BIOS is reset.

https://hwbot.org/submission/2807666..._x_72299_marks

I have a 2600K that is also similar and recovers after warming up at post code 00 for a minute and 20 resets.

Once these CPU's are posted they will restart fine, its just when they sit again for a few hours they can return to 00.
    Thanks Charles I had many of these on X299 when pushing hard with direct die contact, and you know the problem is the contact and sometimes the PCB bends a bit and you loose memory channels also. So reseating and using the delid press gave me really good results.

Cheers, Sergio!
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by kicsipapucs View Post
    I have a dead 5960X ES here, that I might give a try on, but I think the scammer who sold it to me dead killed it properly and it won't recover.
    Hi bro could you recover it ? Mine died when the vrm's of my asus rampage 5 extreme went bad, I could only make it work on slow mode which sucked bad :/

Cheers, Sergio!
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wirth View Post
    I have a 5960X with core 7 is dead.

Ill let you know board and bios I us to get operational.
    So what about recovering the 5960X or have you already buried him to grave?
    AMD 7800X3D@watercool-Heatkiller IV Pro| ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero | NVidia Founders Edition 4090 @watercool_Waterblock H²O@Mo-Ra3|Seasonic Fokus-GX 1000W| 2*16 GB G.Skill@F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB |Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4, Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB| Cooler Master CoSmoS II |LG OLED42C21LA 106 cm (42 Zoll)|Windows 11 Prof. 64 bit
    Sound: AVR-X3600H@5.1 Nubert-NuVero70

The 5960 has been a daily driver with seven cores on a rampage extreme mobo with bios set to disable that core. I has been a rock solid machine.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Sounds like the rock solid machine is history since a long time.
    AMD 7800X3D@watercool-Heatkiller IV Pro| ASUS Crosshair X670E Hero | NVidia Founders Edition 4090 @watercool_Waterblock H²O@Mo-Ra3|Seasonic Fokus-GX 1000W| 2*16 GB G.Skill@F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB |Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4, Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB| Cooler Master CoSmoS II |LG OLED42C21LA 106 cm (42 Zoll)|Windows 11 Prof. 64 bit
    Sound: AVR-X3600H@5.1 Nubert-NuVero70