Thread: Looking for feedback on my quad sli/cf phase change plans

Looking for feedback on my quad sli/cf phase change plans

My plan is to take four 10k window ac units that I got for free and cut the evaps and condensers off and replacing the condensers with plate heat exchangers and then running water loops outside the windows of my apartment using high flow pumps and 9x120mm rads to cut down the footprint on my desk as well as removing the massive heat source from my room. Is this a viable method of doing this or will I run into other issues from this? Second question, will using a long lineset have a big impact on the performance I am thinking of doing two of them with 5 foot ones and two with 8 ft so i can space them out a little more on either side of the bench table.

Thank you,
    Chris

Sorry for the two threads in two days

Parts list so far
    Reducing Coupling to connect the suction line to the compressor
    https://www.supply.com/browse?refine...xoCdjgQAvD_BwE

This is what I am currently planning on using as a suction line but I am open to suggestions for alternatives
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLE...0525/203073939

I got a 5 pack of SUD 111's for 15$ and they should do well enough as a filter dryer.

For the evaps I am planning on making them out of a 2" diameter 6-inch bar of 110 COPPER ROUND on a lathe and then adding surface area with a dremel like ron did on the chilly1 for the under-the-ice units
    Last edited by Mythicaltech; 04-10-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Would this be a better option for the suction line? I am okay adding ends to the other one if it would work as it is a lot cheaper but if it would not work I can get a real lineset

Trying to picture what you have planned and not understanding the goal.

You want to cool how many machines and to what temp?

If you have four units, I would assemble two units in tandem and make a two stage cooler with much better performance.

I admire your vision in using the water loop as this performs better than an air/liquid HX and you would see better performance if you used a shell in tube HX for this as this favors the high flow of the water loop. The brazed plate at sizes over 1 ton still are very constricted for flow for this to work well on the first stage.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wirth View Post
    Trying to picture what you have planned and not understanding the goal.

You want to cool how many machines and to what temp?

If you have four units, I would assemble two units in tandem and make a two stage cooler with much better performance.

I admire your vision in using the water loop as this performs better than an air/liquid HX and you would see better performance if you used a shell in tube HX for this as this favors the high flow of the water loop. The brazed plate at sizes over 1 ton still are very constricted for flow for this to work well on the first stage.
    My plan is to cool a single machine with 4 gpus on the bench. In particular 2x 3870x2 and similar crossfire/sli dual gpus. The reason I am planning on water cooling instead of an air condenser is that I can save massive amounts of desk space which is very limited in college housing. It also will remove a significant amount of heat from the room. The reason I am not going dual stage is for a lot of the stuff I want to do it is too cold and draws too much power and if need more cold I am going to either use the cascade I am getting from you or use ln2 if I am benching a fullpot platform . I will lookinto a shelltube hx.