Thread: Cannot use turbo boost

Xtreme Enthusiast

Cannot use turbo boost

I have a dual X5670 system movieman helped me get together. Just a cruncher. Last month or so kept getting random shut downs. Super micro board logs indicated power and memory. Changed both. Was in a case that housed 6 disks using win7 pro. Decided to remove everything except 1 ssd drive and cd drive and installed ubuntu. I disabled everything in the bios and started enabling things one at a time to try find the issue. Ran fine with no hyperthreading and no turbo boost. Turned on hyper threading and ran a full day without issue. Turned on turbo boost and it died within an hour. Is it chip or motherboard? Its crunching fine right now with hyperthreading and no turbo boost. Crunching 21 out of 24 threads now. Appreciate any help.

Administrator
    I would try changing the motherboard battery.
    If that system came from Dave I would assume it has been around for awhile. I have had very strange things happen when batteries started acting up.

Thanks to eagle101 - Big Eric, phase change monster for that tip which saved me a lot of headache one day.

Its worth a shot anyway.

Good luck !
    Last edited by Buckeye; 11-18-2019 at 05:27 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Chips I got from MM, board i bought new. Did pull the battery. Still showed good but close to needing changing. X8DTI-F super micro. I'll change it to see what happens. Thanks

Do you have the power saving settings on. You have to have speed step and c states enabled for turbo to work.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    It dies means restart,BSOD? If turbo simply not kicking in, do as @zanzabar said. if it restart or give BSOD then might be hardware related or volts etc.
    Last edited by xpower; 12-26-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    [FSB<>BCLK]
    3930k@4.3Ghz 1.30v HT On 24/7 Full load Linx stable/Lapped~Strix 6600xt~970evo~Gt110
    R4Gene Modded Bios~Corsair 2x8Gb@2.4Ghz 1.65v C11~AX1200i
    SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

I am Xtreme
    My gut says motherboard, but just for fun can you test with another power supply?

If you need RMA help poke at me, I have friends at SM
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Decided to re apply thermal past to see if that would help. Have scorch marks on both chips. Cleaned and re installed. Won’t even post now. Since this is real old technology, not going to waste any more time and money on it. I did buy a new psu plus replaced the battery on the motherboard. Still shuts off randomly. Starting to research a replacement. Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited by bearcatrp; 01-03-2020 at 09:26 AM.