Thread: Sandberg Card Reader USB-C+USB+MicroUSB

Xtreme Reviewer

Sandberg Card Reader USB-C+USB+MicroUSB

Introduction

An SD (Secure Digital) card is a little gadget that is used to increase the storage capacity for different digital devices such as smartphones, tablets, and others. The benefits that make an SD card popular include the portability, fast data transfers, and hot swapping functionality. In order to access any files on the SD card, you need an SD card reader, and with technological advancements, today's market is warming up to the type-C connector or port, so you will need a good USB-C SD card reader to access files on modern devices. Card readers come in different sizes, shapes, colors, and builds, so that they can be easily carried wherever you go, and add convenience to your life. A product that is compact will sometimes win out over similar competitors by nature of its size alone. Such is the case with the Sandberg Card Reader USB-C+USB+MicroUSB, a sliver of a memory card reader that's only about the size of a thumb drive. I'm happy to be reviewing the Card Reader USB-C+USB+MicroUSB by Sandberg.

Packaging & Contents

Packaging follows what we have seen from Sandberg with previous solutions. We have the black box with blue accents. The front side carries an image of the device.

The back of the box offers languages to the top with the scope of delivery listed out at the bottom.

Inside the box you will find a paper for BullGuard Internet Security 90 days-3 devices subscription.

A Closer Look

The device is fairly compact thanks to its cable-less design, with a length of 2.36. Each end of the device is also fitted with a cap to protect each connector, which is a good feature to have, especially for those who will be regularly throwing the device in a bag to transport from place to place.

The case is built with aluminum to keep the reader cool when in operation.

In the middle of this wondrous little gadget is an SD card, but also a microSD card, so you can easily read different card formats.

The SD card fits snugly in the reader, with about 3/4 of it outside. MicroSD cards also fit snuggle, with about one third of it outside.

The USB-C plug.

With an added Micro USB to USB 3.0 connector, you can connect to virtually any USB computer to easily access and transfer data.

Performance

I decided to test out the speed of this card reader. Works at full speed transferring 25 gigs in a USB 3.0 port. CrystalDiskMark tested at around 90 MB/s for both read & write on a new ASIN:B06XWZWYVP Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM). That was plugged directly into a motherboard USB 3.0 port. Using a USB 3.0 extension cable or front case USB 3.0 port halved the max transfer speed to under 45/45 on that 25 gig copy with the same micro sd card. USB C fit in my S8+ and tested a ASIN:B06XX29S9Q Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME64GA/AM)@ 40/40. The same 64gb card tested @ 56/38 in the internal SD card slot. As far as transfer speeds go, these were pretty strong and I was very happy with the card reader's performance. The device cannot read both slots simultaneously and it doesn't claim to. In my testing if both are filled it will read the full size SD slot only, which makes sense to me so you don't have to remove the MicroSD.

One of the main things I love about this card reader is that it stays cool while you are using it. That is probably due to the aluminum used for the case but I've had experiences with several different card readers that do heat up quite a bit. This one stays cool and continues to work very well.

Final Thoughts

This nifty little gadget is the swiss knife of SD card readers. It supports not one, not two, but three different ways to connect: it has USB-C for your modern phones, it has microUSB for older phones, and it has a full-sized USB for computers! The only thing it lacks is a Lightning connector, but that would be too good, wouldn't it? Data transfer rates are subject to the speed of the memory card itself and your computer's USB ports. Build quality is very solid. All mental around and well cut edges. It's made of aluminium, and is light. If I had to say anything bad about this device there's none. Pretty much Plug and play. Other than the fact that when you remove the Caps you have to put them in your pocket or something. Just be careful not to lose them and that's all.

This is a great reader and adapter. To have all three in one stick makes it the only one you need in your laptop bag. As usb c seems to be the direction computers are going in and some of older computers have the regular usb it's a very versatile piece of equipment. The Sandberg Card Reader USB-C+USB+MicroUSB lists for $14.99 retail, making it one of the least expensive readers we tested. Sandberg does have a strong reputation and also includes a 5 years warranty which covers your device if something happens during regular intended use of the Card Reader.
    Last edited by testman78; 11-12-2019 at 02:06 AM.