Thread: Well, I ordered a Zen2 kit...

Xtreme Addict

Well, I ordered a Zen2 kit...

First Gear since my Thuban 1090....
    Nothing Outstanding, but...

Asrock X570 Extreme4 Wifi
    RX590
    CoolerMaster H500(newer Mesh version- need to keep the leds OFF)
    Win10
    Flares 2x8 3200CL14

No, OBVIOUSLY not an extreme setup, will be a decent modern setup, and will SMOKE my 1090T gear....
    Last time I bought gear was 2012 (Asrock Extreme3 990FX- BLEH), and was able to get a x570 for a reasonable $ due to the combo with the 3600, I was gonna get an X470, and around with bios'...Nah.
    IF I decide to really get back into it, I can actually afford to upgrade these days, back then $ was a lot tighter.

Looking forward to decent gaming on the bigscreen again.
    Zen2 Has brought AMD back!

Xtreme Addict
    I still have my Big Eheim Pump from my Barton Days, this is MUCH better than the typical AIO pumps by a long shot, if I feel the need to go WC.....geesh, I wish I kept my prommy, a plate could have been built by my friend for squat....
    Quote the massive dumbass by G....

XIP
    Awesome You gonna have fun

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo View Post
    Awesome You gonna have fun
    Yup, pretty pumped for all the nonsense I'mma deal with! 🤣
    Hopefully it's not extreme idiocy though! 🤣
    Btw, MOBILE on this website is BEYOND HORRIBLE. 👎

Xtreme Addict
    Just got the 3600/Wraith.
    This cooler is TINY compared to the Scythe Mugen2 that's on that old Thuban that's for sure.

Xtreme Addict
    I've been looking at the NHD14/15 Coolers...LMAO, those things are GIGANTIC!
    About half the size of the MB!

Xtreme Addict
    Setup all the new gear, have been pretty busy.....
    Case is good, cool and quiet, with plenty of space, and sufficient cable management for my Corsair TX750(non modular)...HD tray blows IMO, but once they're in there it's no longer a concern. Great Case for a bean IMO.
    Mobo came with original Bios, I couldn't get Mem speeds over the SPD no matter what until I DL'd the new 1.6 Bios, immediately BAM 1:1 at 3200C14, haven't tried higher yet, but I will.
    I haven't gamed on it yet (Steam issue- don't forget your PW!), but I'm sure it'll be better than the 1090/7870 combo I came from, definitely not earth shattering, but I'll only game @1080P because of my displays.
    Running R20 the temps climb to 84 with the stock cooler, we'll see how long that thing lasts.
    So far it boosts to 4199, but usually hovers around 3900 or so.
    Haven't tried to manually OC the CPU yet, and probably won't after watching the temps on the stock cooler just running R15/20.
    Good Wifi speeds over 100 both ways on my 100MB Fios service.
    Power management with the new driver seems pretty awesome, I've seen RM show .38v just listening to tunes...which BTW is awesome, and I missed it!

Lots to learn, but it's nice running a desktop again, although W10 is taking a few to learn my way around.
    Last edited by muzz; 08-01-2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Brilliant Idiot
    theres a program that can make win 10 look like 7. makes the learning curve easier.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Xtreme Addict
    BTW, when I mentioned above that it does get to 4199 boost, it does continually drop to the high 3.8's just heating up while running 1 instance of R20 on the stock cooler....the longer it runs the hotter it gets, the more throttling it does.
    Dark Rock Pro4 will be ordered middle of next week, and installed when I get back.
    Was looking at the Noctua D15S, but that thing is so wide I don't wanna risk it hitting my VCard, the Pro4 is a little smaller, cools as well, looks better, and is at least as quiet IIRC.
    Splitting hairs for $10

Xtreme Addict
    So, after many tries, I was able to get my FlareX 3200/C14 to 1900 1:1 at C15, but the Mem scores were only just over 55000, obviously many other timings I need to mess with, but at least it would even do that... I played games for a few hrs, and just left it be.....woke up the next day and played some games before work, no issues....swapped to different receiver input and put on the news for the next 8 hrs....when I swapped the input to the computer, it never came up...I looked over and it was shut down...like huh?
    I fired it up and tried to play Tomb Raider, and Steam said " Install"....
    I guess the Seagate drive crapped out( HDD- 2nd drive- D&E partitions), Bios doesn't see it, device manager and Disk Manager shown "Unknown Device".
    ONLY time I get get the OS to see it is if I hot plug it, and soon after it will show up in device manager, but I can only populate the 2nd partition of it, D shows up as like 450000 in there, been when I try to populate that volume it shows up as zero, E shows up and shows like 460,000, and I can populate that volume.
    I tried different PS cables, different sata ports, and different cables....
    If I remove the OS SSD, the Bios will show it ( VERY VERY SLOWLY). Seagate tools will see it a few minutes after a hot swap, and will test it as 100% fine....Hmmmm
    I have to assume that it was a coincidence, and it was just ready to die, as BCLK and anything else that could screw it up were never touched.

New 1TB 970 EVO NVME on the way, thinking I'll keep the OS on the 120GB Sata SSD it's on now, and just use the new drive as apps/games/etc... I just wanted to try something different, although I am considering putting the OS on it too.
    Ordered the Dark Rock Pro4 today.
    Last edited by muzz; 08-15-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Mistakes, clarification

Xtreme Enthusiast
    this forum has been much quieter than FX days. I wonder why.
    I am upgrading from FX 8350 and Phenom II X6 1090T...

anyway I purchased
    2 x Ryzen 5 1400
    2 x Gigabyte B45m-DS3H
    2 x Team 8GB x 2 DDR4 3000 MHz
    2 x RX 580 4GB

and
    last night I got another set

AMD Ryzen 7 2700
    MSI X470 Gaming Pro
    2x 8GB Team T.Force 3000MHz RGB RAM
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H