Thread: What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?

Xtreme Enthusiast

What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?

We run a small TV channel from my classroom and it is very archaic at this point. We use a computer as our server that runs 24/7 and has been going for 6 years straight. We are going to update our channel this year as our cable company is going all internet streaming and no cable will be used at all in our town. We are going to run everything in HD and I need something will be powerful enough to run 24/7 and play HD videos all day and night. The software we use is also very archaic but we have not found anything that will let us set up time slots and dates and days that will play video and other things.

Does anyone on here know what a good build would be that would be way more power than we need but not over doing the budget?

Are there any prebuilt systems that would work with a TV channel system that would have software already in place and would save me hours of having to place each video in and setup the times etc. I use google but I can't find anything that would really work for our system.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a prebuilt machine if you know anything about a local TV channel.

I don't know how else to explain what we do so any advice would be great. Thanks.
    2-VIOTEK FI24D V2 24-Inch QHD Gaming Monitor with IPS Technology, ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING AM4 AMD B550, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DRAM DDR4 3200, MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6
    AMD RYZEN 5 3600 6-Core 3.6 GHz, Asus BW-12B1ST Internal Blu-ray Writer SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III , HITACHI Deskstar 2TB, 2 - Western Digital Black -2 TB HDD
    Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold, AMD AM4 Wraith Prism LED RGB Cooler Fan, Windows 10 Professional Retail, Fractal Design R4 case

You have to be specific and clear.

First, what hardware and software do you have for your server, and what do you use it for? What is your network traffic?

Consider an Intel NUC if you don't need to add a PCIe card.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID