Thread: Starting in water cooling

Starting in water cooling

Hi guys

Apologies in advance for the NOOB questions. Very much grateful however for any pointers.
    In brief, want to build a new system, with a Z390 motherboard and a Thermaltake P3 case. Main focus is on being quiet (yes, I know the case is not a closed one...). It would only be used to cool the CPU as can't be bothered with messing around to make it also work for my graphics card.
    I'm used to aircooling, as well as, on my current system, water cooling (Corsair H80: https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/co...-h80-review/1/).

Now (and here come the NOOB questions....) what is better to get with the above (i.e. focus on quiet) on mind?
    Is it just the 'water ring' (which really is the same as the Corsair H80 I have now, but with a bigger radiator): https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooling/...360/design.htm
    or a pump like here, which also has a radiator and fans: https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooling/...it/design.htm?

What's the advantage of one over the other? What are the basic characteristics? (e.g. 'never get a pump because it's just too loud and really there only for visual effect' or 'get the pump as does better cooling'
    Also, what is an AIO (all in one) pump? Should I be insisting on getting a Z390 motherboard with an AIO header therefore?

Have been reading around and also understand that, for example, corrosion is an issue - am not interested in a system that I may have to fix in say three years as don't have the time to mess around, just want it to work.

Many thanks in advance!

sorry been out of all this for a while, but I would stay away from all-in-ones.
    my corroded 2 coppers

Dothan FTW!
    I really can't recommend Thermaltake for watercooling-I'm still scarred from a bad experience with a Thermaltake kit back in 2004 that leaked and killed an entire system!

I'd also say to to avoid all-in-one units because of corrosion from mixed metals. The Pacific kit you have linked comes with a good pump (Laing D5) which has been used in PC watercooling for well over a decade and has proven to be very reliable. The D5 is bigger than the AIO pumps so there will be some vibrations, but the noise depends on how you mount the pump.

I wouldn't trust the Thermaltake waterblock or radiator for the same reason of mixed metals, there are better options out there for the same money, like an EKWB kit, or XSPC.

Are you looking into watercooling for noise reasons, or for the way it looks? Air cooling has come a long way in the last few years and a high end air cooler would perform very well at the same or less noise level with minimal maintenance (just clean the dust out of it once in a while).

With any watercooling kit you need to check on the coolant level regularly as it evaporates over time, even with a "sealed" all in one. A custom kit with a reservoir is easier to maintain but you should really be changing the coolant once a year, and topping it up every few months, or you will find all sorts of stuff growing in the tubing, which can clog the waterblocks and even stop the pump from working. If you don't do the maintenance, you will have big problems in 2-3 years!
    .:MeltedDuron:.
    HP z620 - 2x Xeon E5-2670 8c/16t - EVGA GTX780 SC - 48gb DDR3 ECC - Fusion ioDrive Duo 1.2TB - 256GB Samsung SSD - 120GB HyperX SSD - 2x FireCuda 2TB - HGST 4TB
    Deluxo - Xeon L5430 @ 3.6GHz (400*8) - Gigabyte G33M-DS2R - 2x2GB HyperX 6400 - 2x2GB OCZ PC6400 - XFX R7 260X - 256GB Firestorm SSD - Custom CPU loop - Stickerbombed Chilli Pro MATX case
    Jezabel - Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2100 (200*10.5) - ATi FireGL X1 256MB - Asus A7N8X-E Dlx - 2x512MB OCZ EL PC3200 - OG Antec Case - Win98SE and Win2k
    Mysti (WIP) - Pentium II 350MHz - Abit BX6 Rev2 - 4x256MB PC100 SDRAM - Matrox Mystique - Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB - 20GB IBM DeathStar - Still looking for the right case...
    .:Lemon Computers:.
    Abusing the Socket A platform since 2002

I saw many new designs at CES but the one I would go with now is the Corsair AIO for quiet/performance/quality.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    32GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 7960X @ 4.7Ghz
    Asus Rampage XI Apex
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    32GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I would skip the AOI. If you want a kit for cheap grab the swiftech h220x or h240x
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi